Family Minimizing Surgery - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Family Minimizing Surgery Family Minimizing Surgery

Unread 11-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Re: Family Minimizing Surgery

I completely understand and I am in the same boat. 12/3 I am having a RALH, sacral colpopexy,A&P repair, and bladder sling and my extended family and friends don't understand why I will not be helping in Christmas parties. My sister is telling me that this is not a big deal surgery and I will be have such a fast recovery since it is robotic not open. She had a hysterectomy years ago and it was no big deal (I think that she blocks stuff out). My neighbors keep asking about my helping plan the neighborhood block Christmas Party. I keep saying keep me out of it. If I am up for an appearence I will be there, but I will not help in planning or anything. The kids have concerts, basketball tournaments, and parties that I will be missing. I will play the whole month by ear and just how I feel the day of something and go if I am up to it. I have never had any surgery or even stitches before so I have no idea on how I will be. I am more worried about my kids Christmas then familiy and friends. DH and kids are great about all of this, it is just others. I just figured I will have my surgery and then huddle down in the house. The world will survive without me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2009, 08:24 AM

deetzah,
I am glad that you stood up for yourself. For your sister to minimize how significant this is to you is ridiculous. I am at eight weeks post op and there is no way I would be up to visiting with people and being social. The first thing you need to do is take care of yourself. Do not let others push you into something if your body is saying no. It can lead to very serious complications which make your recovery much longer. Your sisters should understand. I hope that things go more smoothly from now on. Wishing you all the best and letting you know we are all here for you. This is one place you can go and find the support because there will be someone who has gone through whatever is happening. Believe me, I have found so many people that share common things on this site that might sound minor to an outsider but are really major to us. Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 11-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Hi Skachel!
You are so right, huddle down and rest, rest, rest!!!
It is in my opinion, so rude of others to not accept a "no thank U" as a final answer.
I would never dream of asking a friend or family member to give me an answer for coming to a Christmas party or something like that. I would simply extend the invite and say if you are up for it you are definitely invited and if not, stay home and rest!!
I have had surgery before and for me, the pain was managed very well but the fatigue is what I was not prepared for.
Don't do chores etc...
Rest and take it easy. As they say here on this site: "you only get one chance for recovery"!
Take care of yourself and I am glad your immediate family understands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2009, 08:41 AM

Zenyatta5
Thanks for understanding.
Sometimes family can make you feel small and insignificant and not worthy of the same treatment they would demand for themselves. I have had to learn throughout life that there are times I must just distance myself from them and do what is best for me.
Thank you so much for reminding me of that fact!
You guys here are the best!!!
Luv you all!!
Unread 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM

I'd stay home. The last thing you need post-op is to be around people who are not supportive or understanding! My rule has been to listen to my body. If you were going into an environment that was supportive then it might be worth the travel. But keep in mind that recovery is not just physical, it is also emotional. Surround yourself with those who may not understand what you are going through but are supportive none the less.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register