9 days post op hysterectomy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days post op hysterectomy questions 9 days post op hysterectomy questions

Unread 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM
9 days post op hysterectomy questions

I am only 9 days post op with a TAH. I have a few questions. Today I was found to have a bladder infection and the pain is horrible. The Doctor put me on two different medications but the pain is unreal. He also says I am not drinking enough water, I drink a gallon a day!I also have hardly any appetite, I am over weight so I do not mind losing weight. So with that said here are my questions for you awesome hyster sisters out there!
1.) Why is the water I am drinking not enough?
2.) How much water helped you out the best.
3.) Did anyone's appetite ever change for the better/worse post op?
4.) If so, how long did it last
5.) I have a deep sense of pressure on my incision, how long until the feeling of pressure subsides?
6.) I am always EXHAUSTED how long until I start feeling normal?
I can walk up to 10 minutes now but while doing ANYTHING I just want to fall out and sleep!
7.) Sleeping position that helps with the feeling of pressure/pain what worked for you?
8.) How long before you can have "outercourse" ?
I know i have a lot of questions and I am sorry but, you ladies have been there. I would rather have your opinions than anyone else's! Last question.
How long do I wait before I can take a bath...ohh how I miss my bubble baths!
THANK YALL for reading this long post.
HysterSister from Fernwood,MS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Re: 9 days post op questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulabell2011 View Post
I am only 9 days post op with a TAH. I have a few questions. Today I was found to have a bladder infection and the pain is horrible. The Doctor put me on two different medications but the pain is unreal. He also says I am not drinking enough water, I drink a gallon a day!I also have hardly any appetite, I am over weight so I do not mind losing weight. So with that said here are my questions for you awesome hyster sisters out there!
1.) Why is the water I am drinking not enough?
2.) How much water helped you out the best.
3.) Did anyone's appetite ever change for the better/worse post op?
4.) If so, how long did it last
5.) I have a deep sense of pressure on my incision, how long until the feeling of pressure subsides?
6.) I am always EXHAUSTED how long until I start feeling normal?
I can walk up to 10 minutes now but while doing ANYTHING I just want to fall out and sleep!
7.) Sleeping position that helps with the feeling of pressure/pain what worked for you?
8.) How long before you can have "outercourse" ?
I know i have a lot of questions and I am sorry but, you ladies have been there. I would rather have your opinions than anyone else's! Last question.
How long do I wait before I can take a bath...ohh how I miss my bubble baths!
THANK YALL for reading this long post.
HysterSister from Fernwood,MS
Did you have a urine test for the bladder infection? You could still have the wrong meds if it was positive. The bladder could be in spasm at this point.
If you are peeing a lot as most of us are at that point, then you need to increase the in take. You muscles need lots of water to heal too. You will if you have drank enough until your urine is clear or mostly clear.
Your appetite should return in a couple weeks. Just eat light to ensure you are getting enough nutrients. Fruit, veggies, yogurt ,crackers, cheese etc.
you will be exhausted for awhile. Rest as needed. It was 4 months that I didn't feel exhausted.
You are early in the healing, you feel all kinds of things going on. If you can't handle it, then see the doc. I still have pulling and pain.
Sleeping is how ever you find comfortable. You will need alots of pillows to surround you and under you to help you sleep.

Your doc should tell you when outercourse and baths can happen. Mine was 6 weeks.

Remember everyone heals differently, so these are just my experiences. I am at 7 months now.
Unread 08-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Re: 9 days post op questions

Ok I will try to Answear ? Water I drink about 12 glasses a day. 2 , I had not appetite in hosp and maybe a week after, I think meds do that.3, what type of pressure ? I had burning for longest time on left side where ovaries where. That comes and goes .4, exhausted that's for awhile too , just listen to body. I can honestly say by 5-6 week it gets allot better 5,for sleep get a body pillow and put between knees it helps but I still toss turn now.6, I never asked about outer course honestly did not want to think about it. That is a discussion with doctor.
7, I was told after 4 weeks I can go swimming and taken bath but don't use anything in water. You are healing inside and takes awhile. I hope I covered all your ? If not I'm sure other sisters will. Just take it easy and rest as much but walk it's the best. I had a TAH and I thought this day would ever come to feel normal again. I wish you the best .
Downing67🙏
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Re: 9 days post op hysterectomy questions

Thank you! He gave me medicine for the spasms! I start taking them tomorrow. Y'all's insight has helped me!
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Re: 9 days post op hysterectomy questions

I had my two month post-op anniversary for a TAH on August 10th. I am back to work with no pain what so ever. My biggest advice that I can possible give it to take it easy. Relax. Sleep as much as you possibly can to give your body the strength it needs to heal. Allow yourself to just rest.

1.) Why is the water I am drinking not enough? Truth be told I did not hardly drink any water. I was not hungry or thirsty for anything because the pain medication made me so nauseous. I lost 30 pounds. If my bladder was to full it was extremely painful and I was bent over in half. I literally could not stand up straight. Great news is though that went away completely. It just takes some time for your bladder to get used to it's new position. If you know what I mean.

2.) How much water helped you out the best. I didn't drink much. I probably should have but I didn't. I kept my hospital mug full by my bed and would just sip on it when I was thirsty.

3.) Did anyone's appetite ever change for the better/worse post op? It took a while for my appetite to come back. All I could eat for a while was saltine crackers. Then I went to a very bland diet of chicken or beef broth, jello, pudding, white bread, and white rice for a while. Eventually, slowly I started to crave things again and got back eating normally again. It took a while though.

4.) If so, how long did it last I would say for me about a month.

5.) I have a deep sense of pressure on my incision, how long until the feeling of pressure subsides? I don't know that I felt pressure. I was very very aware that it was there though. I really didn't stop feeling that until I had the staples out. I had my staples in for a month because I am a larger woman and my infection risk was higher my doctor's took every possible way to prevent it. One the staples were out every day I felt better and better. I can not tell you how happy I was to finally be able to lay on my side. It was heaven.

6.) I am always EXHAUSTED how long until I start feeling normal? I can walk up to 10 minutes now but while doing ANYTHING I just want to fall out and sleep! I feel much much better then I did but I still get tired. Even two months later I still need to lay down and take a nap in the afternoon. You will feel better and better I promise. Right now listen to your body. If you feel tired sleep. Sleep as much as you possibly can. Your exhaustion is your bodies was of getting the energy it needs to heal.

7.) Sleeping position that helps with the feeling of pressure/pain what worked for you? The only way that I could sleep comfortably was on my back. Before the surgery I always slept on my side so it was hard. Get plenty of pillows for support and to put all around you. Even under your arms and legs if it makes you more comfortable. I stacked three pillows and put one behind my back and kind of slept propped up. It allowed me to sleep comfortably without to much pain.

I wish you the very very best of luck. Hang in there. Things will get better. I promise! <3

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register