Back to church? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to church? Back to church?

Unread 12-01-2002, 03:43 PM
Back to church?

I'm having my TAH on 12/4. I attend church every week and was wondering when I would be able to return. I realize there is a lot of sitting and standing and that would be hard at first. I could probably sit in the back with the elderly so that I could just sit through the mass. Any thoughts ladies?

Only two more days!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 04:07 PM
good question

I am also having surgery on the 4th, live in Michigan and am close to your age! I checked your profile! My goal is to get to the Christmas eve service which has always been a ritual in our family. I thought I would wait that long.......

Good luck.....
Unread 12-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Back to Mass

I attend daily Mass as much as possible too. I had my surgery on a Mon. (TAH/BSO) and attended the Sunday Mass and went back to daily Mass the next week. You don't have to stand/sit/kneel if you don't feel well enough - I sat when I needed to and didn't even try to kneel after I knelt the first time (It pinched a little), standing was OK. I f parishioners know you had surgery they will understand - don't worry about it. My ok'd me to drive after 5 days- I thought she was nuts - I was still dizzy even though I wasn't on any pain meds anymore. My DH drove me.

You are in my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Church

I went back to church after my TAH in May at three weeks post-op. I sat in the back and got up a few times to take short walks around. Unfortunately, I had to leave after about 20 minutes due to the pain of sitting, but I didn't give up. Every week I went, I was able to stay longer and longer until I was up to staying through the whole hour and a half service at about 6 weeks.

You probably won't want to even try it for the first couple of weeks. Don't forget that sitting is an activity and one that should be minimized at first. Take is slow, and listen to your body. And if you need to leave, don't be embarrassed to do so.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa

PS: I'm not Catholic, I'm a Bapticostal (I'm Pentecostal, and attend a Baptist church.) But we're all God's children, so who's keeping score?
Unread 12-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Back to church?

Hi! Sounds like a lot of Catholics....me, too! We sure get our exercise at mass! Here is a thought: Does your church have a cry room for children? We have a small one and I figure I could sit in there if I had to and it wouldn't bring as much attention if I sat when I needed to and stood when I needed to. Some churches even have a rocking chair in there. If you haven't already, let your priest/pastor know about your surgery, so he will know what you are up to.....plus you want to get on that prayer list!!! You'll heal faster!! God knows what's going on, He knows you are humble before Him, so I think you will be forgiven if you don't kneel! Kneeling will HURT I'm sure, it causes stress on the abdomen. And don't feel bad if you have to leave early...go to the parish hall if you want to wait for your family or have a plan in place so someone can take you home. Maybe your DH can go to an earlier or later mass and just accompany you to the mass that you attend, that way he can fulfill his obligation.

God bless!!

kathyh
Unread 12-01-2002, 08:45 PM
Back to church?

Hi count in one more Catholic. I had a tah/bso in July and went to mass after 4 weeks. I did stay in the cry room and it worked pretty well, I didn't even try kneeling for a couple of weeks. The prayer list is a good idea. I believe in miracles (prayer saved my oldest DD when she was a newborn).
Unread 12-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Back to church?

Count me in as another Catholic! I dont practice much since I am married to a non-Catholic and this is a sore spot sorry to say but I did go a few times before my surgery and once after, i think around 4-5 weeks out. I felt ok, just still a little tired.

My church here has the very front pew that has no place to kneel except for the floor and it is even a little shorter. They planned it that way for wheelchair users and elderly or for someone in my position that recently had surgery and such. That way, during communion time, the priest would allow you to stay where you were and deliver it to you first.

It was also good to help remind him if you had asked to be on the prayer list too.

s
Unread 12-02-2002, 02:57 PM
Thanks to you all

The cry room is a super idea. I forgot all about it and it's right by the restrooms if necessary.

I know I will be forgiven for not attending but will go back as soon as my body says OK.
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:12 PM
I'm Catholic-Lite, LOL

Hi.
I'm not Catholic, I'm Episcopalian, but we have the same practices and worship-aerobics, LOL.

I also encourage you to speak with your priest and fellow parishioners about your surgery. I actually sought advice and counsel when hysterectomy was first mentioned, so our priests and others have been walking with me through this.

Golly, word has spread about my impending surgery and I swear half of our parish has it on their calendars! Our priest and his family are going to care for my son while I'm in the hospital; the rector has already planned his visits; I have drivers, casseroles coming, women to take turns staying with me the first few days, and errand-runners on call!

Also, it is our church's practice to have Eucharistic Ministers visit the homebound to take them Communion and pray with them. They take the flowers from the altar, make them into bouquets and bring them to the homebound, too.

I don't know if your church does that, but I'll bet they do. Give the parish office a call! This way, you can still receive Communion (on which I really rely for strength!) and not have to push it.

My surgery is on Dec. 18 and I'm probably not going to make it to church until after New Year's. My church is about 9 miles from home, plus our Anglican services tend to be long because we sing ALL of the verses of every hymn (there's lots of them!) and we kneel to receive Communion, which takes longer than the lines in the aisles.

Best wishes and s.

Julie-Anne
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:33 PM
church

Count me in as another Catholic, and I attended my first Mass at 3 weeks post op. I sat in a regular pew, but did no kneeling. At 4 weeks post I was able to kneel and all that fun stuff. The prayer request is always a comfort...see if your church has one.
FlossBoss/Molly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register