What is pre-existing condition? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is pre-existing condition? What is pre-existing condition?

Unread 08-18-2004, 01:58 PM
What is pre-existing condition?

Hello all,
Have any of you been through these circumstances? I have been diagnosed with adenomyosis. I will be changing insurance carriers due to employment changes (ie. promotion). Will the new insurance consider this a pre-existing condition? How much of a nightmare am I going to have? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 02:30 PM

Maria,

Are you being promoted in the same company? Why do you have to change insurance? I work in Human Resources, and as far as I know, insurance through an employer does not normally have any pre-existing condition clause. I am diabetic, and when I was out of work and applying for basic state insurance, I was told I would have a waiting period due to the pre-existing condition, but when I got a job with benefits that was not the case. However, it does depend on what type of insurance your company has.

Check with your H.R. department, they should be able to answer your questions.

Good luck,
Ann
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:13 PM

Hi Ann,
I work for the government. Promotion means a different benefit package and in this case a different insurance. Thanks for the info and I will check with my HR but you know how bureaucracy is.

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM

I would definitely check with your insurance company. Mine decided they wouldn't pay for my surgery because they felt my condition was pre-existing and that we withheld information when we filled out the application.

Even letters from my dr wouldn't budge them. I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat, but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought they wouldn't pay. Not only that, but they cancelled me back to the beginning of the policy.

My dh filled out the application to the best of his knowledge. We weren't hiding anything from them and we appealed several times to no avail.

So my advice is to ask them up front. I don't want anyone to have to go thru what we did.

Good luck to you and
Blessings,
Judy
Unread 08-18-2004, 03:38 PM

Sometimes there's a waiting period before they'll cover a pre-exisiting condition and chronic conditions (like asthma or diabetes) are usually exempt from it.

I know one time when I switched insurance they wouldn't cover my allergy medication for the first six months, but after that it was no big deal.

Definitely talk to your HR department. Also see if you can keep the old insurance through COBRA or something until you've resolved your issues with surgery or other treatment. You might have to pay a little to keep the old insurance, but it'd be worth it not being stuck with the whole hospital bill.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register