Just Venting: Frustrated And Annoyed Waiting For Dr. Appt. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just Venting: Frustrated And Annoyed Waiting For Dr. Appt. Just Venting: Frustrated And Annoyed Waiting For Dr. Appt.

Unread 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Just Venting: Frustrated And Annoyed Waiting For Dr. Appt.

Let me start off with a little background:

Back in March when I saw the Gyn, we were talking about my huge uterus and massive fibriods (I've decided to name them John, George, Paul & Ringo) and that I should consider a hysterectomy in the future. (Because this fibroids are causing massive bleeding and discomfort). At that point I said I was not ready, but saw this as a possibility down the road in a few years.

This past weekend I finally managed to get my ultrasound done (try getting a weekend appt!) and apparently they didn't like what they saw.

So I got a call from the Gyn's office saying she wanted to see me. I need an early morning appt (I work and am sole breadwinner for my family; also I am relatively new this job). The best they could do is 5/9 (2 weeks from today).

The more and more I thought about it and I realized that the Gyn is going to tell me hysterectomy is the way to go. I don't like it, but I'm accepting it. And I want to get it over with ASAP. So I called the Gyn's office just to talk to her...to get the ball rolling as it were.

Well, it turns out she won't do "consultations" over the phone. And even if I do agree with her, she needs to see me. I'm not adverse to that, but I just want to get things moving along and am very frustrated.

Enough venting from me...thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Hi Hlnwheels,

I had a similar situation happen. I also had an ultrasound for fibroids and when my Dr's office called to make the consultation appointment...I too just wanted some general information over the phone...and I got the same answer as you. ~The Dr. needed to see me in person~. It is frustrating!!

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM

I understand how this can be aggravating, I hate being told by a doctor I have to come in and get a check-up again for the same heart medication I've been on for years. Don't get too upset. My BIL is a physician, and said by law and by certain restrictions imposed by insurance companies, you HAVE to be seen by them. I can understand the legal reasons why, but I hate the fact that insurance companies can dictate so much of our care guidelines. That's another thread altogether.

In addition, there may be things your doctor also wouldn't feel would be in your best interest to discuss over the phone, so while it's frustrating, it's best you get all of your questions together prior to the appointment and then bombard your doc and get everything answered at once.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM

Do you have a public health phone number in your area? We have one hear and they are manned by Registered Nurses who can answer a lot of questions. I had to go to another town to get into to see an GYN. Here (major centre) I would have waiting 4 - 5 months for a consultation. By going out of town I got to see him in 4 weeks. In the end I will be recovered and back to work by the time that I would have gotten to see the GYN in my home town. I'll just have to deal with the 1 hour ride home from the hospital...YUCK...but less to deal with then months of frustrating waiting.

Another doctor who is more flexible might be an option....

Best of luck!
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:25 PM

I am sorry your having to deal with that!

I went to my dr for my yearly and was told the only way to fix my problem was to have a hysterectomy since I was done having kids.....he said to think about it and then if I decide to do it to call and let him know. About 2 weeks later I decided that I was ready and thankfully they went ahead and got the ball rolling.

I agree with Spring - maybe consider finding a dr that is more flexible to your needs! Good Luck!
Unread 04-25-2008, 11:55 PM

Is your work insurance going to cover the surgery? I called and had the office staff start working on this, so I had the approval in hand when I met with my doctor. That way the waiting time was being useful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register