Upcoming hysterectomy 2/18: To keep or remove cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/18: To keep or remove cervix Upcoming hysterectomy 2/18: To keep or remove cervix

Unread 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/18: To keep or remove cervix

Hi there, I'm in need of your advice ladies. I have a large fibroid and was advised I need an abdominal incision. I will be removing the tubes and keeping the ovaries. The question is whether to remove the cervix??? My gyn advised me to have it removed since I was exposed in utero to the drug, DES, which was called the miracle drug for pregnant moms back in the day, However it increased my chances of getting all female cancers. I thankfully have had normal paps, so my gyn oncologist who will do the surgery feels the cervix should stay. I heard there is a low risk of prolapse of the bladder or vagina and intimacy can be uncomfortable. Just wondering if anyone chose to have their cervix removed and had complications.

Please advise as my surgery is next week, 2/18/16.
Thanks ladies, Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Re: To keep or remove cervix

Hi JillMarie68-

I had a TAH BSO (total abdominal hysterectomy, with both tubes and ovaries removed). So I lost everything, including my cervix - no choice. It was a 6 inch vertical incision. I have not had any issues with prolapse and it has been over 4 years. I have not had any discomfort during sex (after I was cleared for intercourse, of course).

Here are 10 Questions to Help You Decide about the Cervix. Here also in information on a vaginal cuff, which is what they create when the cervix is removed.

Talk more with your doctor about your particular health situation and your concerns. Make the right decision for you.

Unread 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Re: To keep or remove cervix

Thank you so much for sharing your personal story with me! I'm so glad everything has worked out for you these past years and I can't begin to tell you how uplifting and reassuring your post is!!! I will check out the information you told me about as well.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2016, 10:47 AM

My hysterectomy was also for fibroids. My surgeon wanted to do an LAVH - which would have required removal of my cervix - citing the risk of more fibroids growing there, and the chance of continued cyclical bleeding, among other things. However, my cervix was perfectly healthy, with no history of cancer or other issues, and my research indicated that keeping it would be better for my recovery and long term health. We discussed at our next appointmemt, and settled on LSH, which turned out exceptionally well. So far, I haven't had any of the issues he'd warned me about. Hopefully, the articles that marestail has recommended will help you to clarify your decision. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 2/18: To keep or remove cervix

I'm trying to learn all these hysterectomy codes and I FEEL very overwhelmed. So what is the difference in LAVH and LSH? Also how big were your fibroids? Wish they could do mine laporscopicly.

I can't wait til all this is over as the stress and anxiety is too much to handle lately.

Thanks so much for sharing and glad your feeling better!
Jill
Unread 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM

Hi! My surgery is also scheduled for 2-18 and man am I anxious! I had the same question as too keeping my cervix so at my pre-op appt today, I asked the nurse practitioner and my surgeon what was the benefit. They said basically the same, protection from cancers, conditions, etc but that there really wasn't much difference. He also said when you keep the cervix, you may be susceptible to mini periods or minor bleeding. I don't know about you, but if I have to have a hysterectomy, I'd rather be completely done with the bleeding! It was a no brainer for me. I'm over my fibroids and lengthy bleeding! Of course, we are feeling alot at this time but ultimately it is up to you and what will bring you stress free, painless, whole quality of life again. Good luck on your decision and your surgery. I'll see you in the post op forums!
Unread 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM

Hi, I had a TAH, everything was removed, I dont notice any issues related to not having a cervix. 9 months since my surgery. best of luck to you.
Unread 02-11-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillMarie68 View Post
I'm trying to learn all these hysterectomy codes and I FEEL very overwhelmed. So what is the difference in LAVH and LSH? Also how big were your fibroids? Wish they could do mine laporscopicly.

I can't wait til all this is over as the stress and anxiety is too much to handle lately.

Thanks so much for sharing and glad your feeling better!
Jill
Here are the different types of hysterectomies and their codes as well as other abbreviations for HysterSisters.

Hope these help.

Unread 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkbond View Post
Hi! My surgery is also scheduled for 2-18 and man am I anxious! I had the same question as too keeping my cervix so at my pre-op appt today, I asked the nurse practitioner and my surgeon what was the benefit. They said basically the same, protection from cancers, conditions, etc but that there really wasn't much difference. He also said when you keep the cervix, you may be susceptible to mini periods or minor bleeding. I don't know about you, but if I have to have a hysterectomy, I'd rather be completely done with the bleeding! It was a no brainer for me. I'm over my fibroids and lengthy bleeding! Of course, we are feeling alot at this time but ultimately it is up to you and what will bring you stress free, painless, whole quality of life again. Good luck on your decision and your surgery. I'll see you in the post op forums!
Thank you all for sharing and reassuring me I'm not alone! I'm like a bunch of nerves and ready to jump out of my skin! As of today, I'm choosing to have my cervix removed next week and hoping for the best.

Wishing you all health & Happiness!!!
Unread 02-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar pei View Post
Hi, I had a TAH, everything was removed, I dont notice any issues related to not having a cervix. 9 months since my surgery. best of luck to you.
Thanks for sharing and I'm so happy it all went well for you!

Best of health always

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register