Bruises before surgery a problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bruises before surgery a problem? Bruises before surgery a problem?

Unread 07-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Bruises before surgery a problem?

This is going to sound like a weird (possibly stupid) question, but I'm wondering if bad bruises can lead to post-surgery blood clots?

Women who have a hysterectomy are given those surgical stockings to keep the blood flowing through their veins. That led me to be concerned about some nasty bruises and bumps that I have on my legs.

In May, I missed a step on a shuttle bus in Yosemite and fell out of the bus. I hit my right leg really hard on the step at the door. I still have a big, tender knot on my shin and some numbness just below my kneecap. Today, I got a huge bruise on my right thigh from climbing out of a boat at work.

Is this something I should mention to my doctor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 06:13 AM

I got a pretty large bruise on my leg the week of my surgery. I was lifting a suitcase that smacked me pretty hard. I was worried about it but my dr said that it wasn't a problem. The hospital staff wasn't concerned about it either. I didn't even have to wear the leg stockings.

Since the bruise on your leg is bad enough that you've had it for quite a while, I think that you probably should let your dr know about it. I feel that it's best to be cautious.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:36 AM

Do you have a history of clotting problems? I had EVLT surgery 4 weeks before my surgery. The EVLT clots the greater saphenous vein and I had a stab phelbectomy. My surgeon and gyn felt that I would be fine for the hyst as far blood clots. The major key is to get walking as soon as possible. The clots they worry about are in the deep veins. The stockings or compression devices will keep blood moving in the deep veins. Feel free to do ankle circles, pull your knees up. As soon as you feel you can, walk, even a little to the bathroom helps flow. Also, the will likely give you Motrin for pain, but Motrin all helps keep the blood a bit thinner and prevents some clotting.

Talk to your dr. at the pre- op and he/she will guide you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks, ladies.
I haven't had any clotting problems in the past. But I think I will mention it to my gyn, just to be on the safe side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register