TAH 2 weeks post-hysterectomy went back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post-hysterectomy went back to work 2 weeks post-hysterectomy went back to work

Unread 05-18-2014, 04:58 AM
2 weeks post-hysterectomy went back to work

Hello, I am a business owner & musician in France and was really worried about how much time I would have to take off of work. I talked to my doctor about it and she gave me the go-ahead to go back to work if I felt OK 2 weeks after my TAH.

After my surgery April 28th, I stayed in the hospital for 5 days and went home with a urinary tract infection. Since I'm in France, the protocol may be different : I have to wear compression-socks (thigh-highs) 24/7 and a nurse comes once a day to check out my scar and give me a blood thinning shot. I also didn't do any cooking or housework : my husband did everything for me and so I was able to completely take it easy (besides phone conversations with my office).

Two weeks and one day after my surgery I had an appointment at the office I couldn't put off anymore and so my husband drove me to work, helped carry me up the office stairs with 2 other employees and settled me into a chair. That afternoon I lay down for an hour and went home early.
I spent the week at the office, my employees driving me and helping me walk and besides feeling really tired on Thursday night after a board meeting, I feel pretty OK now that my urinary infection is over.

This weekend I'm relaxing and making myself light meals.

Besides the urinary infection I didn't have any other complications (just a super swelly belly with painful gas) and only bled very lightly for 3 days post-op.

As a musician, I have some concerts at the beginning of June which may be more problematic since I have to carry my instrument and sing at the same time. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Re: 2 weeks post-hysterectomy went back to work

Wow! You are doing quite a lot. Things must be different in France. I could not have gone back to work at 2 weeks, no way. It was a struggle to do half days at 6 weeks.

You still have a lot of physical healing to do on the outside and internally. Why are you still taking blood thinners and wearing compression socks?

I had blood thinners in the hospital and have never worn those socks.

It seems like you are trying to speed your recovery, but with a TAH there is no way to do that. I hope that you will not take steps back because you are not resting your body enough on this end.

If you want to be able to do all of that in June, I'd be slowing down more now.

I know we all recover and heal at different rates. Just listen to your body.

Good luck!
Unread 05-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Re: 2 weeks post-hysterectomy went back to work

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

Actually, the doctor ordered me to wear the compression socks and to get blood thinners for one month! The shots are pretty painful.

For the next two weeks I'll do half-days.

In any case, I didn't have the choice : as a business owner, if I don't show up from time to time, projects don't get finished and clients don't get billed ...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register