Back from the Castle and It Wasn't Bad At All! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from the Castle and It Wasn't Bad At All! Back from the Castle and It Wasn't Bad At All!

Unread 07-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Back from the Castle and It Wasn't Bad At All!

Hello Sisters! I am finally home after my trip to the castle, with a brief detour to be pampered at Mom's house. I have to tell you that taking charge of your own health care decisions makes all the difference in the world! I didn't want my surgery done under general anesthesia, and my second opinion physician happened to believe that she could do my hyst just fine under epidural...and she did! The anesthesiologist was fabulous, in fact, he kept me awake for the entire procedure at my request. I got 2 mg of Ativan before he placed the epidural, but other than that, no narcotics pre-op or intra-op. Further, I didn't find the need for any narcotic pain meds post op by choice. Before you think I'm nuts or trying to be the female version of a macho...LOL...I made a concious decision that I was going to control this surgery, at least as much of it as I could. I'd had many problems with general anesthesia that I had to find another way - I did. I didn't want to feel stoned and stupid on pain meds, so I took the time to learn deep breathing and visualization from a great therapist. The outcome - I was able to deep breathe through the minor post-op nausea, I was able to deep breathe through any anxiety that I felt and I'm only on Anaprox for pain control. I'm already sleeping on my side 5 days post op. My point to share with all of you is that YOU can choose to be in control of both your body and your mind and make this very scary experience one of the better things you'll ever do for yourself. I did the ceremonial "dumping of the pads" today and I feel SO FREE!! I'm so thankful for all of the support I received here pre op, and I just wanted to share with all of you still waiting for your day at the castle that it doesn't have to be scary, it doesn't have to be exactly how your doctor tells you it will be, and YOU can make the difference between a good experience or a horrible one. Cheers to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2005, 02:47 AM

Welcome home and congrats on a successful surgery!!!

Make sure you keep pampering yourself!!

Shauna
Unread 07-25-2005, 04:33 AM

Glad your home and doing so well. I had the option of a epidural also but due to my surgery being 3 to 3 1/2 hours long I opted for general. I figured a long operation like that I might get uncomfortable. I did have the epidural when I had my tubes tied, they gave me way to much and I couldn't even swallow my spit. I didn't take any pain meds for 14 hours after my operation, but ended up taking morphine at 5 in the morning due to pain under my ribs, they were so bad that even shallow breathing for me wasn't happening, I was gasping for breaths and it got the point that I couldn't even do that, I literally thought I was going to stop breathing. Then at 9 they gave me a muscle relaxer because of the rib pains. I took Percocets for 2 days only when needed (only for the rib pain though) and then off for good, no over-the-counter meds either. I guess the rib pains is due to the gas getting up under there, but oh my gosh they literally are sooo bad that even gasping for breath you want to die. I had two babies naturally with no meds, and just a mid-wife so I can handle some pain, but that rib pain was torture!

I am glad you took control with your surgery, and handling the pain well.
Glad to see you are doing so well. Keep us posted on how your recovery is going! Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2005, 10:56 AM

Wow- you ladies are awesome. I did not shy away from the pain medications. A nurse told me that onece pain reached an out of control level that it would be hard to gain control again. I normally do not require any pain meds nor do I drink any alcoholic beverages. But in this case- the pain medications really helped me to be able to rest and move around. I had mine on July 18th and plan to be done with pain meds by the end of the week. I am taking the minimal amount. Motrin every 8 hours, oxycodine three times a day.
Unread 07-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Good for you! I'm glad you had a great experience. I had a really good one too, though I can't say I didn't use any pain meds, I only used them for a few days. You are a fine example of attitude being everything! Happy healing.
As for me I'm about to enter week five and really feel back to normal. I can't wait to hit week six and be back to normal activities!!!
Unread 07-26-2005, 11:47 AM

Way to go Queenie,

I am so proud of you. I also opted for an epidural and took control of my surgery. And for having to have surgery it was the best way I could have chosen. I was totally awake all through my surgery also. The strongest pain med I ever took after was motrin 800 mg.....I did sleep on my side by the time I was released from the hospital, but used many pillows for support, I have never been able to sleep on my back. I really agree with Queenie we should all be in as much control of our care as we can be. My doctor was skeptical about an epidural at first...but she was so caring and addressed my concerns and we went ahead with what ended up being best for all around. I have read posts here, where the doctors don't seem to listen or give options to the patient. And I don't feel that is right. The complications and side effects are so much less from an epidural than from GA. I understand that we all ultimately have to do what is best and most comfortable for each of us. Which is the way it should be. But I do think we should all speak out when something scares us or concerns us. I can tell you it was hard for me, I have suffered from severe panic attakcs since the age of 19....and was terrified of this whole surgery idea. But now I am 6 weeks post-op, feeling great, back to work full time and doing my regular things again.

Queenie, I am proud of you for making your wishes and desires known and having such a successful surgery. Make sure and pamper yourself and have a speedy recovery.

Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register