Afraid of having a hysterectomy. Lupron opinions? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Afraid of having a hysterectomy.  Lupron opinions? Afraid of having a hysterectomy. Lupron opinions?

Unread 08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Afraid of having a hysterectomy. Lupron opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonian
Does anyone know the pros and cons with keeping cervix?
There are many opinions on this topic and you can do a site search to find the many threads we have on the site discussing this topic.

For me, the abnormal paps due to endo dictated that my cervix be removed. I am almost seven years post op and neither I or my DH miss my cervix one bit. I have had no problems with pelvic support. Sex has been fine. And with regard to the mention above that there can be more pain if you have your cervix removed, well that was not an issue for me! I stopped pain meds the day after surgery.

As the other ladies have mentioned, do your research and talk to your medical professionals about what is best for you!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2007, 08:47 PM

Hi justonian!

Here is a link to information about a recent, reputable, scientific study conducted by a university, that you might find more credible and useful than a week-long internet poll involving 981 women who happened to respond:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. I never was really “aware” of my cervix before my surgery, so losing it made no difference to me.

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 08-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I had Lupron (3 months) and then a TLH ...

Lupron did have some nasty side effects, but they were strictly temporary. I had joint achiness, hot flashes, mentally felt "out to lunch", felt blah ... BUT the side effects were temporary, and my uterus (and fibroids) shrunk by about a third - enough to get the DaVinci lap. hyst. Something else - I stopped bleeding after the first month, and I was able to catch up on my iron, so by the time of my surgery, I wasn't anemic any more.

I don't have my cervix, and I don't miss it. Before shrinking, my uterus was a 19-week-pregnancy size.

For me, the temporary side-effects of the Lupron were definitely worth it to get the very easy lap. surgery.
Unread 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
3 months now

Hi -
I have had three injections of Lupron - the hot flashes are a little hotter these days and I had night sweats once -but nothing else. The hot flashes seem worse when I am stressed at work or eat bad food - could be my imagination but it keeps me in line thinking that way .
Having my surgery in October - would do Lupron again - no bleeding has been great. Don't know if it has shrunk my fibroids yet but hoping for the best. Good luck with it.
Unread 08-30-2007, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the support and information. I've decided to have an abdominal hysterectomy but in a few months. Don't know if I will do Lupron while I'm waiting.
Justonian

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register