Constipation HELP!! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation HELP!! Constipation HELP!!

Unread 04-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Constipation HELP!!

I actually came home with diarrahia from the antibiotic I was taking. I would take the "d" anyday over constipation! However, the diarrahia caused bad irritation and flared up an old hemmor. When I got more solid, I got major pain when I would go like I was splitting open, but at least I was going. I feel for all of you because I remember the constipation after childbirth. Felt like you were birthing another baby!!! Anyway, my sure-fire method to keep stools softer is lots of liquids, get off pain meds as soon as possible and a big bowl of grapes and strawberries everyday. Try it, it may work for you too.
And this too shall pass . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Constipation HELP!!

oh my god - cannot believe this is normal!!! But I have tell you aI aM RELEIVED TO KNOW THAT. I am 2 weeks post op from TAH and A&P and still have not had a normal BM. I had severe constipation and had exrays to outrule obstruction - no obstruction but packed solid - after milk of amg, dulcolax supp, smooth mover herbal tea, stool softeners, enema and fingers in rectom by nurse and doctor I finally had the extreme opposite (diarreah) then......I started to hemmorage vaginally taken to hospital by ambulance from doctors office, more surgery to bleed and still not pooping normally. Now I have severe pain in rectom, cannot find a comfortable position - doctor says everything ok it will just take time (I really get sick of hearing that!) will this pain go away? Other than that I feel good.
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Constipation HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrytyty
oh my god - cannot believe this is normal!!! But I have tell you aI aM RELEIVED TO KNOW THAT. I am 2 weeks post op from TAH and A&P and still have not had a normal BM. I had severe constipation and had exrays to outrule obstruction - no obstruction but packed solid - after milk of amg, dulcolax supp, smooth mover herbal tea, stool softeners, enema and fingers in rectom by nurse and doctor I finally had the extreme opposite (diarreah) then......I started to hemmorage vaginally taken to hospital by ambulance from doctors office, more surgery to bleed and still not pooping normally. Now I have severe pain in rectom, cannot find a comfortable position - doctor says everything ok it will just take time (I really get sick of hearing that!) will this pain go away? Other than that I feel good.

Wow. You have been through alot! Yesterday during my painful bout, I thought I would die right in the bathroom. I broke into a cold sweat, then hot sweat, etc. Such pain. It was packed after 5 days. I hate to be gross, but I think people should know that they are not alone in this. I stopped all pain meds. After taking Dulcolax and stool softeners, I now am making myself very light spinach soup with broth. That helps alot. You need to just sit on the toilet after the whole regiment of meds to help you go and cry it out the first few times. I also had a wrapped towel across my incision when bearing down...better than a pillow. My butt is still sore but better. I'm almost afraid to go again. Feel as if I have to recuperate each time!
I wish you well)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Constipation HELP!!

Anyone else taking Ferrosequals (iron) for anemia which I had during surgery? Doctor said these have stool softeners. Iron can cause constipation! I'm off pain meds; surgery 4/17. Pain gone - just a little stiff. The real pain is my butt from all this constipation nonsense
Unread 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Constipation HELP!!

Some things that worked for me........Children's suppositories. Hot tea and hot coffee. Grapefruit really did it. I tried to get off pain meds very quickly. Didn't use many pain meds in the hospital and used a few for the first two days home and then off. I took a whole day to give my system a chance to work and rested in between 4 or 5 bms. Maybe I was fortunate that I had already had one a day starting on day 3/4. I found the suppositories also helped the gas even before the bms. Some suggested gum and no soda. Maybe it helped. I also drank prune juice and had a warm compote of prunes, pineapple in its own juice, and berries. Wonderful. A whole pineapply worked wonders too. As long as I can keep the gas under control, the rest works fine (Gas-X). I try not to drink much cold water and am now enjoying wine. I love all of the suggestions. Forgot GrapeNuts too. Yummy.
Unread 04-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Constipation HELP!!

Dear ((((sisters)))), as a chronic sufferrer of constipation, thanks to my IBS, I understand only too well how distressing it can be to be so impacted One thing to remember is the importance of not straining. Straining in the early days post surgery could cause serious damages to your healing tissues. Please, if the constipation is that severe and continues, do give a call to your doctor.

Here's what did work for me, after my TVH with Rectocele repairs:
  • Walk, walk, walk: I would walk up and down from the kitchen to the living room and back. When I'd be tiring, I'd rest, with feet up... then would walk again. Until I just had to sit and let nature do it's thing.
  • Drink plenty of water, preferrably at room temperature: drinking cold water can shock your system and be actually painful after abdominal surgery.
  • Avoid foods that are known to cause constipation as well as spicy food that would make the BM's even more painful.
  • Add fiber-rich foods to my diet. However, I had to be careful as too much fiber could result in even more constipation
  • Add prune juice and stewed prunes (I actually like the stuff ). To make it more effective, I would warm them up just before eating them.
  • And here's a sure fire recipe that was handed down from a dietitian: Add stewed prunes and apple sauce to All Bran cereals. A twist on that recipe: I add prunes and All Bran grains to Apple Sauce Oatmeal.
Unread 04-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Constipation HELP!!

run to your nearest store and buy either uncle sam cereal or kashi cereal. they both work in a matter of hours!!!!

xoxo
nel
Unread 04-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Constipation HELP!!

Thanks. I am feeling better. BMs have gone from painful to interesting and cautious. I'm just feeling a little down b/c I've always been so active and now (2 weeks post op) I feel like a blob. I'm doing light housework to keep me busy, but just feel in the dumps!

(NY)
46/surgery 4/17
fibroid 9cm
Unread 04-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Constipation HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher7
interesting and cautious.
Unread 04-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Constipation HELP!!

I can relate, I hate just laying around. There are soo many things that I want to do, but I know that I should wait. I forgot the colase last night but had a beer with dinner and the bowels moved pretty good this morning - no major pain! Yippee! Hang in there sweetie. We will get thru this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register