heartbroken...Surgery Postponed - rescheduled 4/14 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

heartbroken...Surgery Postponed - rescheduled 4/14 heartbroken...Surgery Postponed - rescheduled 4/14

Unread 03-31-2015, 03:51 PM
heartbroken...Surgery Postponed - rescheduled 4/14

My surgery for Friday has been cancelled. The Dr has a family emergency. Its not rescheduled until April 14th. I cannot begin to say how totally disappointed I am. I've been counting the days down. I feel like I've taken 5 steps backwards. Im on disability for depression and severe anxiety. Needless to say, my symptoms are out of control. My boyfriend is not supportive. He can't understand what the big deal is! He also had the nerve to say "you're only having surgery, you're not dieing"...Feeling heartbroken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Re: heartbroken...Surgery Postponed

Dear Necee

I am so so sorry you have to deal with this postponement and can imagine how disappointed you must be. I suffer from OCD, and extreme anxiety too so I truly understand how stress aggravates these symptoms. Is it possible you could discuss your increased anxiety now with your doctor to see what options might be available? While I am not promoting medications for anyone else, I can only speak from my own experience that I needed to have both my anti depressant and anxiety med adjusted prior to surgery.

When possible, try to distract yourself by doing things you enjoy - any activity that helps you relax. Music, movies, good friends, on line research or chatting, games...to keep you busy and more on track.

Unsupportive significant others are very upsetting as well. Sometimes they do not handle their own fears and stress well so they pass thing along to us.

Here is an article you might find helpful:
TIPS TO GET SUPPORT FROM PARTNER

Stay strong and we are here to support you - you are not alone on this journey.
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM

I know how you feel. My gallbladder decided to go from being perfectly fine to destroying me overnight. Between the first attack and surgery I had 8 attacks in 7 weeks. I lost 20 pounds and my hair and nails and skin looked awful. I honestly felt like I was dying. Not from pain but like I was slowly fading away.

So I get all ready for the surgery and my husband and mom both take time off work. I go through all the preop testing and get the house all ready.

And then two days before surgery they call to cancel. The next available time was a week away. I had to call hubby and mom right away so they could both go into HR and switch days off, thankfully it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2015, 07:21 PM

So very sorry about your situation.but i believe that things happen for a reason.please try not to worry to much and keep busy.as far as your boyfriend you should have him read up on this surgery. And no it's not just surgery.it affects every one different.how would he feel if he had to do surgery that affected his male parts....just saying
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:04 PM

I asked him to please read some paperwork the Dr gave me and his response was "I know what surgery is, I've had it" after that comment, I gave up!
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necee333 View Post
I asked him to please read some paperwork the Dr gave me and his response was "I know what surgery is, I've had it" after that comment, I gave up!
I seriously doubt he had a hysterectomy.... Ugh. People in general of both sexes under-estimate what our surgery entails. It is major surgery so of course you are stressed and scared.

Several gals "forced" their partner to see the video of the actual operation...that is an eye opener for sure.

You can only do so much. I hope you have some support from friends and family.

Take care and we are here for your journey.
Unread 04-01-2015, 12:41 AM

That is very frustrating both physically and emotionally. I was suppose to have my surgery Mar 16 and a week prior my Dad had a stroke. I had to post pone so now my surgery is April 13. You prepare yourself in so man ways and then end up waiting. Then you have to go through it again. I did get so much more done though and I'm thankful for that. Of course I'm madly trying to prepare again. Sorry you do not have a supportive spouse. That is tough to deal with. I find out of all my surgeries that this one is very emotional for me. Reach out to those who are supportive of you. Hugs
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM

So sorry to hear this. Try to remember that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle. Also, if it was delayed think about it this way...the delay may have saved you from an unforeseen complication. The doc may have had something else on their mind and made a little mistake and cause you unneccesary complications. Prayers coming your way that things stay on track for the 14th.
Unread 04-01-2015, 08:13 PM

I have take care of family thru some SEVERE illnesses and injuries, worked in health care 30 years and ran a cattle farm. I could deal with ANYbody/things need but my own and was a basket case before surgery!n (This site saved my mind and probably my friendships) It is surgery and it is our bodies, the saying goes "Minor surgery is any surgery someone else is having"

Take a deep breath, it sounds like you've done your homework, and seriously back away from reading more, it can kind of "fuel the fire." Try to focus this extra time on exercise, starting a good fiber diet and drinking plenty of water. Plan some fun events with friends and know that your sisters here understand, care and are keeping you in our prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register