Scheduled LAVH Dumb but, should I buy some slippers? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumb but, should I buy some slippers? Dumb but, should I buy some slippers?

Unread 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Dumb but, should I buy some slippers?

I don't have any. I usually wear sneakers around the house and I have a pair of crocs that I slip on first thing in the morning to let the dog out and stuff. Should I get some "soft" slippers or something for recovery? I was just going to wear my crocs to the hospital and wear them while I was there and wear them home. Would sneakers be better? I figured the crocs were slip-on so they would be easier, no bending. But will they cause problems walking after surgery because they don't have any backs on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Re: Dumb but, should I buy some slippers?

I wore non-skid socks walking in the hospital. At home wear whatever you feel comfortable in. At first you may not be comfortable bending or lifting your legs up to tie your sneakers, but if your crocs are comfortable and they don't easily slip off, feel free. I happen to have a pair of keds that do not require laces that just slip on, but I already had them, so not an additional expense (I think I have like 5 pairs of sneakers now).
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM

I bought a pair of Croc backless sandals because I wanted something to just slip my feet into without bending or any fussing. I wore those to the hospital and back and around the house. I liked the Crocs also because I could wash and disinfect them after my trip to the Castle. I had no issues walking in them- I wasn't exactly beating anyone in a race either for that matter .

I also have a pair of slip on sneakers that I used when I went out in the backyard with the pups and DH (he was on poop patrol since I couldn't bend over to do it).

Good luck with your surgery! We'll be thinking about you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM

This is a very good question! I wore my sneakers home from the hospital so I would be stable. I was really afraid of falling. I did wear a soft pair of slippers when I got home for months. I am home all the time so I am usually in slippers, until this past month. I have now learned that I have done damage to my feet from not having support. If you can, try to wear your sneakers when you can & if you can not get the sneakers on then go to the slippers. The other thing you can do if you want to wear the slippers is to get a Dr. Scholl's insert for them so you have support. That is what I have on now & hopefully my feet are going to recover (I go to the foot doctor on Monday). It is best to have some kind of arch support. Best wishes to you.
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:51 PM

I used to have a pair of cheapy Dr. Scholl slip-on sneakers...the ones with no backs...scuffs or mules or some such name like that. Loved them. Maybe I'll look for another pair, although I think they're probably not in style anymore. They offered support, but also were easy to slip on and off, especially if you live where you'll have wet grass, etc. with winter coming on and walking outside. I think the Crocs are a good idea for around the house and hospital, and the idea of disinfecting them is great. From what other ladies have said, bending over is a real problem for a while. I plan to avoid shoes that tie for a while.
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM

At my hospital, they gave me a pair of non skid slipper socks to wear while I was there. I also wore my flip flops there and home without problem. I think you will be fine with whatver you pick!
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Academy sports has Keds without backs.

I'm taking a pair of Berkenstock knockoffs from Sam's club.
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:18 PM

I wore sandals at the hospital and I think your Crocs will work just fine.
If you know you'll have someone to tie your sneakers up for you, and take them off again, that will work fine too. In my experience the most important thing was having something to slip on and off when you know you won't have people around to help you with laces. And as Elizabeth said, it's not like you'll be racing anyone down the corridor!

Most importantly, minimize your bending in the first few days! If it makes you feel good to have some new slippers then go for it....otherwise, what you have on hand will work just fine!

Take care and I wish you the best in your surgery and recovery!
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:02 AM

YES! Buy some comfortable, cute, fuzzy slippers. I always wear flip flops and thats what i wore to the hospital and planned to wear home, but my mom brought me slippers and i was so happy. My feet were swollen after surgery and the only thing comfy on my feet were those silly slippers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register