No Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Bowel Prep No Bowel Prep

Unread 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM
No Bowel Prep

Went to pre-op today, they said bowel prep wasn't necessary. I really wonder though, especially with everything I've read here. Any suggestions what I should do anyway?
The hospital wants $500 co-pay up front and I just got a bill from the other hospital in the area (they have the lab where I had ultrasounds) wanting almost $150. The first ultrasound - all of it was covered, I wonder why the difference? Anyway, the lab/hospital will have to wait until after my surgery, I just can't take one more thing.
Taking off Thursday to get ready, wouldn't be able to concentrate anyway, my nerves are shot as it is from trying to get things done at work.
Friday is the big day, I'm supposed to have a LAVH taking only left ovary because of cysts but she said today if there is scar tissue from my gallbladder surgery she might have to change to a bikini cut though she doesn't think that will be a problem. yet another thing to worry about.
Time to go take some aspirin & lay down for a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM
No bowel prep here either...

They didn't even mention bowel prep to me either. Mine LAVH is scheduled for next Tuesday. I'm calling them tomorrow to double-check because I really do have bowel problems as well, and I'm sure when I'm on pain-killers the constipation will just get worse. Good luck to you with yours!
Unread 08-28-2007, 05:29 PM
No Bowel Prep

DON"T take asprin before an operation...If you did, let your doctor know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
No Bowel Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets_n_dolls
Time to go take some aspirin & lay down for a few minutes.
Please do NOT take aspirin without checking with your doctor! Aspirin can act as a blood thinner and generally is one of the medications anyone must stop using prior to a major surgery. Talk to your doctor before using any pain medications, supplements, or herbs this close to surgery as it can be very dangerous!

And I, too, did not have to do a bowel prep. Follow your doctor's orders for you, to the letter.

Unread 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM
No bowel prep?

No, what I meant about pain meds was the narcotics they give you after surgery. The opium in them slows down your digestive track and can cause constipation. They have for me at least, but I'm prone to it anyway My doc also told me not to take aspirin or ibuprofen 2 weeks prior to surgery. But I think he said tylenol was ok. I can't remember but haven't needed it anyway.
Unread 08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
No Bowel Prep

No asprin!! I would call tomorrow and tell your doctor. Your are so close to surgery! Ask if you can at least do an enema....anything left in there is very hard to pass after being under....

This might be TMI...but there must have been something (maybe it was that midnight donut ) still high up there during surgery. Man...it was so hard to get out!! Felt like a new woman when it finally did decide to birth. Also ask about stool softners after surgery...they have been a God send!

Good luck!
Unread 08-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Lol!

Yes, I will definately be getting the word to them on stool softeners and Miralax (perhaps THE best laxative in the world...NO cramping and works like a normal bowel is probably supposed to!). Glad you were able to "drop the kids at the pool"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassypants
No asprin!! I would call tomorrow and tell your doctor. Your are so close to surgery! Ask if you can at least do an enema....anything left in there is very hard to pass after being under....

This might be TMI...but there must have been something (maybe it was that midnight donut ) still high up there during surgery. Man...it was so hard to get out!! Felt like a new woman when it finally did decide to birth. Also ask about stool softners after surgery...they have been a God send!

Good luck!
Unread 08-29-2007, 12:06 AM
re no bowel prep

My doc talked about a full liquid diet the day before surgery, just saying that it would be easier to get things moving again if it were just air and liquid. He did not insist on it. I think I will do it though, because of the pain meds and such. As far as laxatives go, please just tell the nurses at the hospital that you want it. Being a nurse, sometimes people just bring their own things with them, and will occasionally pop a vitamin or something like a gas pill. You never know what will interact with what you have been given. Take the tylenol, avoid the aspirin and other nsaids.
wooshmoosh
Unread 08-29-2007, 02:08 AM
No Bowel Prep

My doctor didn't require an enema, etc., but he did suggest a few things to make it easier for me after surgery.

First he suggested removing any meat from my diet at least three days prior. Meat takes longer to digest and can hang around longer than necessary. He also suggested adding yogurt and soy to my diet (in the form of tofu, soy milk, etc.). Finally, he suggested moving to a clear liquid diet the day before my surgery.

To be honest, I don't know if those things helped me or not. I didn't have any of the BM issues which so many others have complained of, but I might not have anyway.

Keep your thoughts positive and let us know how it goes for you.
Unread 08-29-2007, 08:16 AM
No Bowel Prep

You might not have to do bowel prep because of your type of surgery. I'm on a 3-day fast (yippee!) as we speak because I'm having a TAH with BSO on Thursday afternoon. My complications include adhesions involving my ureter and bowels as well as endometriosis, which is being resected. In the long run, although this fasting business stinks, I'm glad I'm doing it so that my whole digestive tract is completely cleared out before surgery because my surgeon will have to separate my cervix from my bowels and run stents from my kidneys to my bladder during surgery. I don't want to risk any infection from waste material in my system.

FYI, for those doing any clear liquids or fasting, I think the best liquids that make you feel the fullest the longest are the clear broths (they taste better than you think they will - I bought the Swanson cardboard containers) and apple juice. Most of the sugary stuff just makes me feel hungrier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register