GROUP B Strep/UTI not responding to antibiotics | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GROUP B Strep/UTI not responding to antibiotics GROUP B Strep/UTI not responding to antibiotics

Unread 08-30-2015, 03:55 PM
GROUP B Strep/UTI not responding to antibiotics

Hello all!

I'm nearing 7 months post op. I have never been one to get yeast infections. Yet, a month ago I started to not feel well. I was diagnosed with a UTI (first time). I took my antibiotics and boom, back to the doctor with the same symptoms. This time they did a culture and it was GROUP B strep. They gave me amoxicillin and my symptoms improved. Two days after I finished my antibiotics, I'm back for round two of amoxicillin. I just finished today and yep, I'm back to the same symptoms.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm starting to worry that this is more than just a UTI. This bacteria is pretty resistance to meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Re: GROUP B Strep/UTI not responding to antibiotics

The issue with antibiotics is that they wipe out everything, bad and good bacteria, which makes you prone to more infections.
Make sure to take plenty of probiotics to restore good bacteria which will help fight infections.
Unread 08-30-2015, 09:25 PM
GROUP B Strep/UTI not responding to antibiotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidabison74 View Post
Hello all!

I'm nearing 7 months post op. I have never been one to get yeast infections. Yet, a month ago I started to not feel well. I was diagnosed with a UTI (first time). I took my antibiotics and boom, back to the doctor with the same symptoms. This time they did a culture and it was GROUP B strep. They gave me amoxicillin and my symptoms improved. Two days after I finished my antibiotics, I'm back for round two of amoxicillin. I just finished today and yep, I'm back to the same symptoms.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm starting to worry that this is more than just a UTI. This bacteria is pretty resistance to meds.
Hi. Sorry you're going through all this. It's possible that right now, the amoxicillin not the right antibiotic. Bacteria sometimes evolves, and becomes resistant to some antibiotics. Have you considered seeing a urologist or infectious disease doctor? Also make sure you take probiotics or eat yogurt and drink plenty of liquid. Also either watered down 100% cranberry juice or cran caps wouldn't be a bad idea either. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2015, 12:16 AM

I struggled with uti's right after surgery but for a few months. 3 different bacteria and at times had 2 bacteria at the same time. I was on constant meds and tried IV therapy too. I've had some complications all along. Think I'm brewing a UTI now but I've been free of them for about 2 months or so. I'm catheterizing 1-2 times a day though too. You need a longer course of treatment. If they detected the type of bacteria then they would have done a sensitivity as to what meds are sensitive to it. I'm 20 weeks post op tomorrow of a atAH, rectocele repair, vag vault suspension and a atOT sling. Hopefully just a fluke UTI and it clears but you need more aggressive treatment and yes be sure to be taking probiotics. I had yeast infections ongoing and couldn't be treated as I had constant uti's and constant meds.
Unread 08-31-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debetable70 View Post
I struggled with uti's right after surgery but for a few months. 3 different bacteria and at times had 2 bacteria at the same time. I was on constant meds and tried IV therapy too. I've had some complications all along. Think I'm brewing a UTI now but I've been free of them for about 2 months or so. I'm catheterizing 1-2 times a day though too. You need a longer course of treatment. If they detected the type of bacteria then they would have done a sensitivity as to what meds are sensitive to it. I'm 20 weeks post op tomorrow of a atAH, rectocele repair, vag vault suspension and a atOT sling. Hopefully just a fluke UTI and it clears but you need more aggressive treatment and yes be sure to be taking probiotics. I had yeast infections ongoing and couldn't be treated as I had constant uti's and constant meds.
I'm curious about your yeast infections as I'm going through this now. Antibiotics surrounding surgery caused a skin yeast infection, when I went to get that checked out found out I had an infection starting in my incision so another round of antibiotics was needed. My surgeon told me "you'll have to take these antibiotics, but it will make the yeast infections worse, so use nystatin on the rash to minimize it".

So for 5 days nystatin cream 4x a day while it's barely making a dent in the rash because of the antibiotics. After the antibiotics were finally done I start seeing headway on the rash but it's been almost a week now and I'm still dealing with it. Just when I think it's looking better I find more satellite lesions.

I feel like I'm in a boat paddling against a current with my bare hands.

How long did it take to get your yeast under control and what was your treatment? I see my surgeon again on Wednesday.
Unread 09-01-2015, 12:08 AM

Hi justhoney

I do not believe my yeast infection has left completely still. Mine was vaginal. I tested positive by swab in the beginning. Last swab a month ago tested negative but my surgeon swabbed me again b/c I've had creamy discharge ever since and still do. I went raw. It burned and was bright red and bleeding. We didn't treat it b/c it was futile. I still flare up a bit and then it recedes again. I haven't been on antibiotics for about 6 weeks now. Unfortunately the last few days I started UTI symptoms again but not convinced it's a UTI either. I've felt like this but only skin flora shows in my urine. Not sure if it's just my bladder and urethra flaring and causing pain. I called my surgeon today. He was in surgery. Knew but he's calling me back tomorrow. I have other urinary issues and need to see him again. He put me on Vagifem too to try and increase moisture and bloodflow to my vagina hoping that might help. I was on different antibiotics depending on which bacteria I had at the time.

I too felt like I was paddling with bare hands. I suffered constant infections for 10 weeks. The day I would stop meds the symptoms would increase. We started doing meds longer. Have they looked for a cause of your ongoing infection? Mine was partly urine retention.
Unread 09-01-2015, 02:53 AM

Right now the assumption is that I got it from being on the antibiotics. I've only been off the them now for 5 days. I'm overweight so keeping folds dry and aired out is a little difficult which isn't helping my situation. My rash is in my groin area, crease of my legs, inner thighs and up past my incision (including on it). I've been going commando and laying spread eagle for 11 days.

While I was on the antibiotics I stopped eating all yeast containing, producing or feeding foods. My pharmacist advised against probiotics because they would kill the antibiotics so the day I was off them I started 20 billion pts of probiotics and eating probiotic yogurt. I've also been using the nystatin cream for 11 days, washing the area (with plain water or baby wash) and blowing drying it dry then applying 4x a times a day. And I got a diflucan pill to take (otc).

I do believe the process is working, everyday I do see improvement, it's just so slow and "ugh, there's a new spot" happens daily still. The area is so large that I'm using a tube of cream every. 2 days and the last time my husband went to fill my prescription the pharmacist called me to see why I needed so much and to make sure I have a follow up with my dr.

I couldn't imagine not treating it at all, things would really take over if I did that. I'm so sorry you're still going through it so long after it started for you. Of all the complications I worried about this one didn't even blip on my radar. Never had a yeast infection (vaginal or skin) in my life. Making up for it now I guess. I hope we both get relief soon. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register