Pain after 5 months ~ 18 month update | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain after 5 months ~ 18 month update Pain after 5 months ~ 18 month update

Unread 03-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Pain after 5 months ~ 18 month update

I had my hysterectomy due to HUGE fibroids on 11/4/05. They took my left ovary and left my right one.

However, I keep getting this weird pain on the left side like I am getting stabbed. I thought that once I didn't have my period anymore everything would be fine, but the only thing my dr says now (and this is the regular dr, not the one who did my surgery since Ins won't pay for me to go back to see him) is that "everything is settling in".

Has anyone else had this?

I need to know I am not losing my mind.

Thanks,

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2006, 05:35 AM

hi laura

i think what you might be feeling is internal stitches. i too had/have that pokey kind of stabby feeling. but to be sure..contact your doctor. my doctor said you can feel that from 6 months to a year.

AnnRuthie
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:05 AM

Hey Laura, I don't think you are losing your mind, because if you are, I'm losing mine too! I am 4 + months and still get some really weird pulls, stabs and aches. How does your belly feel? Mine is STILL sore to the touch, and I really feel it when I stand up after sitting for a while. I have one ovary left, and that is the side that keeps bothering me, and my back is hurting which is something I hope would be gone after the surgery. I keep checking in with this site and am hoping that by 6 months, things will improve in a BIG way, although I have to say that I feel tons better than I did anytime in the past 4 months......Hang in there....Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Hi, I get strange stabbing pains too, not very often and not really cause by anything, and my belly is still sore to touch. My energy is so much better, but the same as you both, still not recovered full yet. So you are not going mad, it is normal I guess. Take care
Unread 03-28-2006, 01:10 PM

I too get the stabbing and pangs and just weird feelings sometimes...along with all the PMS stuff including cramps..go figure...I thought once the uterus was gone I couldn't get cramps...but I do...I am hoping in time all will settle down and I will be free from all the PNS stuff....you are not going crazy....just still in the healing process...take care
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:12 PM

Ditto. I have the same pains and pulling that everyone else has already mentioned. Anybody have this weird ache? It's kinda in the area where your leg connects to your hip, not really the groin, right side. TAH BSO 11/1/2005
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM

I have a friend who always tells me to go poo when I say I have a pain, lol. Sorry, I just couldn't resist! I'm 6 mos out from my surgery and I still get little pains here and there and believe it or not, sometimes it does help to poo!

I've been reading all of your posts and boy do I remember being where some of you ladies are right now. Yes, it DOES get better! I remember being so discouraged at first by feeling good for a couple of days and then boom! I felt awful! It's for sure a 3 step forward 1 step back process but before you know it, you're going to feel like a million dollars. I just had all 4 of my grandkids for an overnight visit and even 3 or 4 weeks ago it would have wiped me out but I believe I've turned that proverbial corner, finally! 6 months is my magic number. Hugs to all of you - hang in there!
Unread 03-29-2006, 05:48 AM

Thank you all, and thank God for this site. I feel so much better right now I could cry. I keep thinking it is just me, and I honestly thought I would be 100% by now, I even thought that at 8 weeks! - my gyn never gave my any idea of this extended time frame to heal, and until I found this site a few weeks ago I kept thinking something was really really wrong and that I would always just feel this way. I'm planning a mini-celebration for my May 21 6 month anniversary - probably not good to focus so much on that date, but I'm going to do it anyway. I deserve it! Hang in there sisters, and thanks again. I have to say that this surgery has taught me patience.....not an easy thing for me.
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:48 PM

I am back..

Now I am 1 year and 6 mos since my surgery and I do feel better, however, I noticed today that the pain on my left side is back. And it hurts.. Bad... I tried to go to the bathroom and that does help, but when I stand up the pain is there and stabbing.

I am starting to think he took out the wrong ovary LOL... Also, PMS has now come back ;-(. I only have one ovary, but the PMS breast pain is back this month, along with the crabbiness. Hubby was really enjoying the time away from the crankiness..

I think I may go back to my regular doctor next week to see what is going on.

Laura
Unread 04-29-2007, 10:54 AM

I am sorry you are having continued left sided pain. For what it is worth, each time I have had a cyst that was confirmed by ultrasound and/or CT scan, it was always on the opposite side of my pain. One of the ultrasound techs told me that they actually see that a lot. Women complain of pain on the right, and the cyst or whatever is on the left, and vice versa.

Have you let your doctor know you are having pain? There could be several reasons for your pain. If you have a chance to feel out your survey and hyst type information it could help us offer more support based on your specific health issues and hyst type. You can use the Quick Links tab at the upper right of your screen to edit both the survey and your profile.

Adhesions could be an issue now since you have had surgery. But since you have had this pain pre and post hyst, do you have endometriosis? If so, that could be a problem. It could be a cyst on the right with referred pain to the left. Gallbladder? The list could go on!

I hope you find some relief for your pain soon! It is never fun to have pain and especially annoying when you don't know what it is from!
in there and many s to you!

Keep us posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register