Huge Dizzy Spell - Normal in life without hormones? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Huge Dizzy Spell - Normal in life without hormones? Huge Dizzy Spell - Normal in life without hormones?

Unread 06-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Huge Dizzy Spell - Normal in life without hormones?

This evening I was at a diner, sipping a Coke and waiting for my dinner when I suddenly had a major dizzy spell. It was brief but "bad." I didn't share it with my Mom or my Aunt b/c they are under a tone of stress right now (Gram is in the hospital with dementia, and the situation is excruciating).

It did pass, and I had dinner and drove home and have been posting here. Just wondering if a dizzy spell is "normal" when you go into sudden surgical menopause and aren't allowed to take hormones.

goldie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM

I had my ovaries removed when I had my hysterectomy nine years ago and have not been able to take any hormones. I have never experienced dizziness from this. My suggestion is to call your doctor and explain what happened, especially if you've not had dizzy spells prior to this. I could be something as simple as a sudden drop in blood pressure or it could be something more serious. You won't know until you call your doctor.

I hope this doesn't happen again as I'm sure it's frightening. Please let us know what your doctor tells you.
Unread 06-28-2008, 05:31 PM

Hi ((((goldie))))) I understand your feelings about this issue

My hyst was 7 years ago and I did keep my ovaries. When my ovaries went on strike in the early months post-op, dizzy spells were one of my complaints. The dizzy spells went away when my ovaries went back to work. Since I've been heading into menopause (I'm now almost 52), I've been dealing with dizzy spells again.

I did mention them to my doctor and she doesn't seem to think that there is an hormonal connection. She thinks it may be hypoglycemia. I also think that it may be a mild asthma condition. Regardless of what I think it may be, I'm having my doctor investigate the possibilities, just to be on the safe side.

I really think that you should mention this to your doctor, especially since this is a new symptom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM

I have had this same problem myself. The dr. has checked me for anemia, but I wasn't. I have also checked my blood sugar and it was a little high at times, but in the morning it is normal. My thyroid dr is running some tests, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I just saw him last week.
do let your drs know about this problem and keep us posted as to what you find out.
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Goldie,
You really should have this checked out by your doctor. Any type of dizzy spell is not normal. I've had them off and on for about the last 5 years. I do take hrt, thus they can't be related to not using hormones. My doctor doesn't think they are related to menopause, but rather to my immune system, or lack thereof. Please do speak with your doctor. It may be helpful to write down what was happening at the time of the dizzy spell; ie: stress, food intake or lack thereof, etc.

Unread 06-29-2008, 12:09 PM

hi goldie! i have had issues with dizzy spells also, sometimes so severe i can't stand up without falling over. they were frequent just after my surgery to the point where i passed out. i went in for an immediate brain scan and all itshowed was an enlarged maxillary sinus. i was put on all kinds of meds and it got a little better but not completely gone. i still get them occasionally. they seem to get less frequent the farther i get from my surgery date. please contact your doc about this asap. better to be safe always!!!
Unread 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Do you suffer from allergies? I used to get severe dizzy spells and the dr treating me at the time thought I had an inner ear infection. Nothing helped. We moved and so I changed drs. Another dizzy spell. Long story short, he told me that dizzy spells can be a symptom of allergies. He gave me meds for that and I have not had a dizzy spell for almost 15 years!
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Thank you, ladies, for your wisdom. I so don't want to call or go to the doctor right now, but I also know you are absolutely right.

g
Unread 06-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine51
Do you suffer from allergies? I used to get severe dizzy spells and the dr treating me at the time thought I had an inner ear infection. Nothing helped. We moved and so I changed drs. Another dizzy spell. Long story short, he told me that dizzy spells can be a symptom of allergies. He gave me meds for that and I have not had a dizzy spell for almost 15 years!
thanks alpine! i do have allergies and that thought has crossed my mind as treating the inner ear has not helped. i may have to put in a call to my allergist.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register