Endometrial Lining - Premenopause. How thick is too thick? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Lining - Premenopause. How thick is too thick? Endometrial Lining - Premenopause. How thick is too thick?

Unread 11-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Endometrial Lining - Premenopause. How thick is too thick?

I am 48 (just, thank you very much ) and still have periods exactly 28 days apart. They've been lasting 7-10 days. The 10 days means I have a couple days of spotting/light flow before the normal flow).

Had an ultrasound yesterday at day 19 of my cycle which showed no abnormalities. My endometrial lining measured 12.4mm. The ultrasound tech (excellent I might add) said at that point in my cycle, she considers that normal.

Doc is more conservative (which I love) and said that he will do another ultrasound about day 7-8 of my cycle (after the bulk of my period is over) and measure again. If it's still thick, he will do a hysteroscopy in hospital and do targeted biopsies then, etc. I think this is a wonderful plan as both of us don't like the idea of a blind endometrial biopsy. He knows I'm of the 'hit it hard, hit it early, leave no stone unturned' variety.

Given I've had no abnormal bleeding (no spotting in between, etc), no prolonged bleeding, no heavy bleeding so cancer isn't too much of a concern, however I do have a history of PCOS hence the further investigation if lining isn't nice and thin after my period. In addition, I had a normal ultrasound (stripe 8mm) 16 months ago which makes cancer even less on their radar. Due to a benign tubal cyst (removed three years ago) and the PCOS, I get regular ultrasounds and I can't tell you how reassuring that is. I did have my tubes tied when I had the cyst removed.

My question is what's normal for a premenopausal woman still menstruating monthly in regards to an endometrial stripe? I've read fertility docs love a 12mm stripe as it ups the odds for implantation so I would imagine it's pretty normal to be above 1cm after ovulation. SO confused - LOL! I'm 48 but my periods don't show any signs of being irregular so I'm guessing I'm not perimenopausal either, or if so, just starting.

Mind you I'm still going through with the testing, etc., if the second ultrasound reveals a still-thick lining I'm sure intensely curious about the lining question.

We also did hormonal testing and testing of my thyroid levels to get a fuller picture.

I have no problem btw about losing my uterus if I do need the hysteroscopy and the biopsies come back squirrely. It is what it is, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Re: Endometrial Lining - Premenopause. How thick is too thick?

Here's a link that may help explain the measurements:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/403578-overview (See "anatomy" paragraphs).

Hope all your tests turn out okay.

Beth
Unread 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM

So 12mm at this stage of my cycle can be very normal. I'll see what an ultrasound at day 7 shows. Will be interesting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM

I was told I had a thickened endometrium too. Back then, I never thought to ask what the size was. I was flooding very badly and just wanted to know the plan. Kudos to you for doing your homework.

Mine was checked with an endometrial biopsy in the office. (Felt like a pap with a pinch)

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Thinking of you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register