Need some fashion help for swelly belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some fashion help for swelly belly Need some fashion help for swelly belly

Unread 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Need some fashion help for swelly belly

Hey I have some formalish events coming up and need some help for dressing with a belly that is more often than not "swelly". I will admit I have gained about 20 pounds with surgery and recovery and not working out prior to surgery due to severe endo. I am aslo short. So I am a little on the chunky side. Then I get this belly that likes to swell to about maybe 4 months pregnant at some points. So I am putting it out there for my fellow sisters to help me. I need to know what might look flattering? Am I insane for thinking about maybe looking into some "maternity" formal dresses? Any ideas PLEASE?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetberry
Am I insane for thinking about maybe looking into some "maternity" formal dresses? Any ideas PLEASE?!
I don't think so! There are some VERY pretty maternity dresses out there that are on sale now that the holidays are over. Another idea is to get stretch velvet black pants and/or skirts, and wear them with longish glittery sweaters or blouses that will hide your belly.

Wear some sparkly earrings or necklace to draw attention upwards.

HTH!
Unread 12-29-2008, 04:21 PM

I would look into the maternity clothes...no one has to know..they are so stylish now-a-days. I had a DaVinci hyst and for whatever reason, had swelly belly for 2 months..could not fit into anything..I bought some cute, maternity, drawstring, cargo pants and no one knew a thing. Good luck and be comfortable and don't worry about it so much..you will find something lovely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2008, 06:57 PM

Old Navy is awesome for dresses that flatter swelly belly. anything empire waisted would be super..
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Thank you so much Sisters. THANK YOU! It is greatly appreciated. Now on to shopping...oh the rough life...
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:57 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I gained 18 pounds in 4 weeks and was devestated to go to any functions. All of my close friends and co-workres knew and said they didnt care how I was dressed. I got into the frame of mind of "here I am in my sweats and if you don't like it then look the other way" BTW I looked 6months prego on a good day. For the ones who might not have known, If I got a wired look I just simply said..."You'll have to excuse my attire, Dr.s orders after a hysterectomy were to wear sweats for 3 months. That kinda shut them up and I enjoyed my outings. Hope all goes well for you!
Unread 01-04-2009, 04:34 PM

What about a fitted top (not sure what season you're in) with long sleeves, and a pair of pants with a flat front but easy waistband - and a sheer overdress - something gauzy and floaty but simple - like with a draped neckline. That way if you expand over dinner or speeches you can still look glam but be comfortable. If the pants are 7/8ths length you can wear pretty quirky shoes and with the addition of some statement jewelry you'd look lengthened, elegant and ready for anything.
Unread 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM

all wonderful ideas. now just figuring out what would look best. the big formal isn't until march so I have a little time. but not much. maybe my swelly belly and extra weight will magically drop off!?!
Unread 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM

The great thing about maternity clothes is that they are bigger in the belly area only, just the place we need it bigger right now.
If you buy something just a size or two bigger it's going to be bigger all over and than not fit you well at all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register