Achy incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Achy incision Achy incision

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Achy incision

Hi,
I'm 42, had a partial hysterectomy on May 14th, 2013, to remove a "spaghetti squash" sized fibroid. I ended up having both laproscopic incisions (they tried that first only to discover how huge it actually was) and the c-section incision (how they ultimately got it/them out).
I am naturally very active and being laid out has been hard for me... But I've tried to be good, limiting the number of times I go up and down the stairs. I've also taken to wearing a band for support.
Anyway, there all all of these things I'm feeling which I am uncertain are normal. Yesterday I felt better than I had since the surgery, but could barely fall asleep because my lower incision ached so much. Now I'm worried I've given myself a hernia! Or is it normal, one week out, to have an achy incision? And by achy I mean not sore, not itchy, just achy.
This may sound ridiculous but I lifted a 1/2 gallon of almond milk out if the fridge and I hope that wasn't the cause.
Anyway, for those of you who have been through this, will you let me know? I'd be so grateful!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Re: Achy incision

I had my SAH on 5/13. I still have an achy incision. I had my staples removed yesterday. I am still wearing my abdominal binder to remind me not to over do it. Honestly, the incision pain is less than the pain before surgery.

The nurse who removed my staples indicated that I will probably have some pain for awhile.
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Oh my dear... you are soooo early on in recovery. I know all the strange pains can be scary and it's important to pay attention to them, but the nerves must regenerate and that can produce some odd sensations. My way of dealing was to be very methodical so as not to freak myself out!

My motto when it came to evaluating my pain was "temp, type & time". I took my temp often, especially if I was having new or increasing pain. I registered the type of pain for my own comparison & so I could describe it to the doc if need be. Finally, I paid close attention to the severity of my pain for about 24 hours to see if it got better or worse & to figure out if anything I did helped.

All that said, if you feel your pain is bad or your incision shows signs of irritation... call the doc! I always say, we are educated patients not doctors. Best to get the experts advice if you're at all uncertain. The surgical nurses are great too and can sometimes help if your doc is unavailable.

Take it slow and try to stick to the lifting/bending restrictions so you don't have to worry I know it's hard but YOU CAN DO IT!!! Hang in there... It might be a bit unpredictable day to day but you WILL heal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Thank you so much-- that is very reassuring! It has actually abated a bit as the day has started... I wonder if it might just be nightly thing- an accumulation of the days activities (too much or not enough)? Thanks again!!
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM

It is true....at night, you will feel worse than during the day, same with fevers, they tend to be higher in the evening, and pains will seem more intense, whether it be surgery recovery, or sickness from a virus or illness. I am still dealing with incision issues at 4 weeks out...I had 4 incisions, 2 healed beautifully, and 2 are still in the process of healing. We all heal at different rates & times, that is for sure. I am sure you are fine, just try to remember not to overdo it, with the lifting, and listen to your body, and only do what you can do.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:06 PM

Thank you, Godspoetic1. It's good to know that this arc of daily experience is not unique to me! Sure enough it is 6pm and I am feeling worse. I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register