Living alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Living alone

Hello Sisters, I'm new here, and nervous like everyone else. I don't have a surgery date yet, I see Dr in 10 days. I have a 10 year history of cervical dysplasia with multiple cone biopsies. Now it is time to become a Punctured Princess. I'm concerned because I live alone and have no one to assist me during my recovery. I would appreciate any suggestions on getting prepared and how to cope with daily chores etc. afterwards. Thanks, DKJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 01:54 PM
Living alone

Hi DKJ,
I am sure there are lots of sisters who will have good suggestions for you. The most immediate thing that comes to my mind is using paper plates and cups so you don't have to worry about dishes. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful husband to help me through my recovery but what he has been doing mostly is the cleaning and any errands. Do you have someone to bring you home? Maybe a friend who could stay with you the first couple of nights? I had a TAH/BSO two weeks ago and am getting around great. It was really only the three or four days that I felt I really needed help. Stock up on things that are real easy to prepare and lots of fruit, juice, and pudding and soup.
I am sure you will do great and you can always get lots of moral support here!
Best of luck!
Unread 05-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Living alone

I live by myself also. My parents live 3 hours away so they have offered to stay with me during my surgery, then take me down to their house until I can drive and feel I can take care of myself - 2 or 3 weeks. They're even letting me bring my kitties!

Is something like that a possibility?

Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 05:28 PM
Living alone

DKJ
I find myself in the same postion. I have been reall worried about that, but am starting to feel better. I have received lost of suggestions. Teh paper plates etc. Also to stock lots of soups, sandwich fillings, and frozen foods tat will be easy to prepare. I am starting now to line friends and co workers up to bring me some food and stop by and check on me. I will need someone to take clothes to wash as I have no washer. I know I will also need someone togrocery shop for me some. I have decided I need to ask for the specific help I need. I hope people follow through.
My date is June 5.

nancy
Unread 05-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Living alone

The first few days I can home I slept alot and drank lots of water, tea and soup,I came home on a fri and my DH and my kids were home. That monday my kids had few days left in school before christmas break so my 10yrs DS stayed home with me and made me toast, fruit and juice.

That next day I was home alone for half a day and did fine walking very slow and fixed myself toast and juice and I keep a fruit bowl on the kitchen island. I also bought some of those Banquet dinners with the meat and veggies and popped them in the microwave,when no one was here with me.

Prepare some meal before your surgery and freeze them. Get some juice boxes and small bottles of water. Also get a body pillow to help roll out of bed.

I hope this helps. You my need some to help for the first 3 or 4 days.

Jocelin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register