Question about Uterus removal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Uterus removal Question about Uterus removal

Unread 03-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Question about Uterus removal

Ok I have heard different stories do they take out the uterus through the laparoscopic holes or through the vagina? My doctor did not explain this part to me and I don't have pre op appointment until the day before surgery!

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Re: Question about Uterus removal

If you're having a total laparoscopic hyster they will remove it through the laparoscopic incisions. If you're having a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hyster (LAVH) or total vaginal hyster (TVH) then the uterus will be removed through the vagina. If you're unsure which you're having, you should place a call into your doctor's office.
Unread 03-08-2016, 05:22 PM

You'll need to ask your surgeon. Even with a total laparoscopic hysterectomy, the uterus can be removed vaginally or through the lap incisions. It can depend on the pros and cons of having your uterus cut into pieces, your diagnosis, your anatomy, your surgeon's surgical preferences, and more as to how the surgeon will chose to remove the uterus. These days, some surgeons are also extending one of the lap incisions, making it bigger, so that the uterus can be removed in one piece from that larger incision.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM

Ditto on the comments above. My surgeon had told me that it is unlikely that mine would be done vaginally, however, he'll know better once he gets the camera into my belly and develops his plan of attack. Regardless, he would complete it using the least invasive and safe method.

Definitely a question for your doctor to give you a little bit more of an understanding of how he/she will approach the surgery and what method is best for you and why.

Good luck!
Unread 03-08-2016, 09:11 PM

Hello,

I had the same question at my pre-op appointment. I expressed concerns about the use of morcellation. I was told that my uterus would be removed vaginally. So I had six small abdominal incisions and then my uterus was cut in order to fit through the vagina. Best to ask how your surgery will be performed. Good luck on your surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register