I have no idea what to expect... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have no idea what to expect... I have no idea what to expect...

Unread 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I have no idea what to expect...

Background: I am periods for 16 days or longer. For 3-4 days the bleeding is intense. After an u/s, they determined my c section scars were narrowing my cervix and not allowing fluid to come out of my uterus, so it was backing up.

I had a D&C and hysteroscopy earlier this month but as I have now had my period for 6 days and it is getting worse it is obvious it didn't work. I have an appointment with the OB next Tuesday to discuss and schedule a hysterectomy as she said there is really no other solution and she has never seen this before.

It would be vaginally done and just the uterus and cervix. I am 29 and sort of mourning the loss of more children and also concerned as to the recovery. I cried today and then felt stupid for crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Re: I have no idea what to expect...

Honey you are not stupid for crying! If that was true I would be the biggest idiot in the world because I have cried an ocean. You have every right to feel sad about losing your uterus and the ability to have more children. Our ladies parts mean different things to different women. To me, I felt feminine and sexy and fertile. It can be a big adjustment going through this surgery and determining how you feel about yourself after. And it's a big adjustment saying good bye to our periods. For some women it's a happy good riddance. For me it was saying goodbye to an old friend and I miss it. This isn't like gettin rid of an appendix or gall bladder, this is an organ that has made it's presence known to us on a monthly basis since we became women. It gave us our children, it's involved in our sex lives, and it's ties to our feminity. I found it helped a lot to discuss this with my DH. He doesn't get why it's so hard for me, and that ok. He understands that it is hard and has held me many times whe I cried. I wish you the best.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
I have no idea what to expect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahjess View Post
Background: I am periods for 16 days or longer. For 3-4 days the bleeding is intense. After an u/s, they determined my c section scars were narrowing my cervix and not allowing fluid to come out of my uterus, so it was backing up.

I had a D&C and hysteroscopy earlier this month but as I have now had my period for 6 days and it is getting worse it is obvious it didn't work. I have an appointment with the OB next Tuesday to discuss and schedule a hysterectomy as she said there is really no other solution and she has never seen this before.

It would be vaginally done and just the uterus and cervix. I am 29 and sort of mourning the loss of more children and also concerned as to the recovery. I cried today and then felt stupid for crying.
you have every right to cry. But know you can get through this. I had my hyst 8 weeks ago. I'm not saying it was easy but it wasn't near as bad as I let myself fear it would be. Just take one day at a time and you'll do fine. Rest relax and heal is all you need to do once your surgery is done. It will take more time to get over the mental stuff than the physical but you can do it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM

It is okay to cry about this! I was and still am in mourning for my uterus. I feel less feminine, and less of a woman. DH does not get this either. But he is supportive even though he does not understand. I am like sugarandspice and miss my periods - they are such a part of being a woman. Allow yourself to mourn this. We are here to support you - we understand what you are going through.

Unread 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM

You're not alone. I cried over losing mine, even though I had decided years ago that I couldn't handle trying to get pregnant again. I have no birth children, so this has made that decision very final. Doctor didn't think I would be able to conceive even if I wanted to, so it needed to happen. But there was still a period of mourning.

That said, there is a lot of information on this site about what to expect. It really helped me get through this whole process! Good luck!
Unread 01-28-2012, 12:24 AM

Don't feel bad about crying. I wish I could cry. I'm only 20 with no children and having a hysterectomy soon. (date tba) I don't even know how I should feel. But crying isn't bad. You lost part of you and you get to feel how to feel, no shame. We put too much pressure on ourselves to be perfect and 'fine' all the time. Don't be fine if you really aren't. Suppressing your grief and sadness won't make it go away. Be open and we are here always <3
(hugs and love to you)
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM

wickedinoz- I am sorry to hear you have to have a hysterectomy at age 20. That is really, really, really young. Is there any way you can avoid that - if even for a few years? You say you don't even know how you feel - I bet. I would imagine that you are feeling very stunned right now.

This is a tough surgery to comprehend emotionally and mentally. (((Hugs))) to all of you.
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:19 PM

Thank you for the hugs and support. It is really young, I started having problems when I was 16, irregular and heavy bleeding. Went on the pill, and then another and another... Bleeding started July 2010 and didn't stop until August 2011. After those 13 months of bleeding and the pain I had a lap and d&c, helped for a few months but I am back to pain and bleeding. Not completely bed ridden yet but getting there. I've exhausted every pill, IUD, shot and hormone supplement I can. Nothing can stop the bleeding. Nothing structural can be found either. Having an MRI on Tuesday to rule out adeniodmyosis and from there I will start seeing a psychologist so I can figure out how to adjust and accept this. Surgery should be late Feb or early March. I have a family history of these problems so I'm not shocked, but still scared.
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:25 PM

If you can get a few opinions. And best of luck to you.
Unread 01-29-2012, 02:05 PM

Wickedinoz, I am so sorry you have to go through this. It has been a very difficult thing for me to go through and I am 43. I can't imagine this at 20. You have every right to be scared and sad. I am very glad that you have a psychologist to help you through this difficult time. Please come here often so we can support you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register