Asthma and TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Asthma and TAH Asthma and TAH

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:40 PM
Asthma and TAH

I have read several posts about breathing exercises after a TAH.

I have asthma and an asthma attack is scary enough but I am really worried about the breathing problems.

Please let me know how bad the breathing problems are. How about anyone with asthma that had a TAH? I was hoping breathing would be easier because my stomach and insides could go down a little lower where they belong after this fibroid is gone.

Thanks, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:50 PM
Asthma and TAH

Kathy,

I had a TAH/BSO about 4 months ago. I don't have asthma, so I can't help much with questions about that.

As for breathing problems, I believe it is standard procedure for the hospital staff to give you this breathing apparatus that you are supposed to use once an hour after surgery. The purpose is to get you to breathe more deeply and use your entire lungs. After surgery, and especially with the abdominal incision, the tendency is to take shallow breaths, rather than deep breaths.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? I think that might help alleviate your fears. I didn't have any problems, although I was taking more shallow breaths for awhile. I'm sure the docs have many other patients with asthma, so they'll know best how to treat you. Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Beth
Unread 03-30-2002, 07:00 PM
Asthma and TAH

Kathy,
As Beth mentions, EVERYONE gets a breathing apparatus. The idea is to get the lungs expanded after surgery by using the deep breaths.

I encourage you to talk all of this over with your own doctor. I don't have asthma so I can't answer all of your questions. Many women have asthma and undergo TAH. Write down all of your questions and ask your doctor. Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Asthma and TAH

Hi, Kathy -

I have asthma - it is well under control with serevent and pulmicort plus a few other things for my allergies. As the others have said, they always give you the breathing apparatus to get you to breathe correctly after surgery. I was religious about using it every hour exactly as they said, sometimes even a bit more. I had NO problems with breathing at all. Be sure to tell the anesthesiologist and the nurses that you have asthma so they'll be on the alert for potential problems.
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:59 PM
Asthma and TAH

I had my tah/bso for multiple large fibroids on March 25 and I have asthma and allergies. Currently taking Pulmicort, Serevent, Beconase, Uniphyl, Accolate and Claritin daily and religiously. Peak flow was 350-400 prior to surgery. This is during a very high pollen season in Florida. Oaks are 1800, Orange Blossoms are HIGH.

After surgery my peak flow dropped drastically around 200, but my allergist came in to check on me twice daily. He is a sweetheart. He said this was normal due to the anesthesia.
I was treated with 2 ventolin/abuterol treatments and had no problems prior. Continued taking daily medications, as prescribed. Peak flow is currently coming back to normal range.

I was up and walking 1 day after surgery and was determined to get through this. I was addicted to hyster siysters before having surgery and was well informed about the surgery and recuperation period.

Five days after surgery I feel good. I have some pain and soreness, but mostly gas pain. I can truly say that it was a good experience and I would do it again.

The nurses were wonderful as well as other hospital staff.

As along as you are on top of your asthma, you should have no problems.

Anesthesia team were great and well in tune with what to look out for. I had general anesthesia and did not want an epidural.

I did get a breathing machine that exercises your lungs to prevent pneumonia. I use that several times daily.

Hope you have as easy time like I did. God bless and good luck.

You can e-mail me if you have any other questions
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:53 AM
Asthma and TAH

I had a TAH on 2/28, and I have asthma and allergies. I was told to take my medications with me to hospital, and they kept them WITH me all the time, but I didn't need them. I take Advair morning and night, with Albuterol when needed. Didn't need it.
Unread 04-01-2002, 06:34 AM
Asthma and TAH

hey sister
first off does your doctor know that you have asthma
what about your surgen and the person that is going to
put you out
when I went to pre regersted at that hospital
when they did the ekg and the blood work
they ask my so question I told them I had asthma
and they told me that if I had a whezze the moring of sugrery
they would pospone it so this is what they told me to do the night before use my nebulizer before I went to bed and take my albuterol inhaler to the castle
and use it just before they come in to listen to the lungs that way the lungs will be opened all the way up

if the Anathisea person knows that you have asthma then they will be aware and know to watch for signs of an attack
I don't think I had a tub down my throat because my throat never did get sore

now as for the breathing excerises that they make you do in the castle
that is to make you breath deeply as to help prevent pneumonia
it's really not hard to do and you will feel good after doing it
I made a goal to see how high I could make it go up
I started at 1500 and got it up to 2500
it is a mechine that has a tube on it you put the tube in your mouth and suck in air through your mouth real fast and deep into your lungs
one side has this float that moves up with each breath you suck in mine started out at 500 and end with 5000
it has this marker on the side that you can slide up to mark the number that you made it up to
I hope this has helped answered your questions
but please talk to your doctor about useing the inhaler or the nebulizer
cause every doctor is different
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 04-01-2002, 06:51 AM
Asthma and TAH

I don't have asthma - but - I saw here that "everyone" gets a breathing apparatus - I did not. The nurses just told me to make sure I was taking deep breaths. That's it!
Unread 04-01-2002, 07:18 AM
Asthma and TAH

Hi,
No breathing apparatus here. I just had to promise lots of deep breaths and plenty of coughing.

Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Hi Kathy

I have asthma and take singular each day. I carry my inhaler with me always. I took it with me to the hospital and it was taped to my bed after I came up from recovery. My anthestiologist knew I had asthma and I talked with her the morning of my surgery. She said she would watch me carefully and so I went in unafraid. I woke to oxygen and kept it for a couple days. I of course could take it off when I went to walk, but I found it needed it for that couple days, then I went back to normal. My DR told me that I had a little eposoide in the recovery room because I didn't want to wake up, but my anthest. stayed with me and I did it finally on my own. So be sure that your DRs are well informed of your asthma and then just trust them to know what to do. I am fine now still take my singular but my attacks are no existing. I think that a lot of my attacks were due to my problems. So be sure and inform the DRs even before you go into the op room. And know that they will take care of you. Recovery was fine never had any attacks I was put on the patch right after surgery and now am on oral meds. God Bless and hope your surgery helps your asthma as well as it did mine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register