Surgery Postponed & a question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Postponed & a question Surgery Postponed & a question

Unread 11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Surgery Postponed & a question

I went for my Pre-Op appt on Wednesday and the doctor and I decided that it would be best to wait another two weeks and schedule my surgery for Nov. 30th. He wants to do some testing on my bladder to see if he needs to do another procedure while he is in there. My question is, since we had to reschedule I will have no help at home when I get home from the hospital. Will I be able to fend for myself okay? He is hoping he can do the surgery vaginally, but he is not sure.

Mmkdbr5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2006, 04:08 PM

I would be sure to let him know that you won't have anyone at home to help you. Sometimes doctors can get it "fixed" where you can stay a bit longer in the hospital if you don't have home-care.

Since you have a bit longer to prepare, I'd start freezing foods, etc.

Good luck and
Unread 11-17-2006, 10:46 PM

I"m pretty much in the same boat. My DH told me yesterday that he would "look at his schedule and see what he has going on and we would figure it out" Translation: He will take off only when it is absolutely necessary and for the most part I am on my own. I wouldn't care if I didn't have 2 little ones at home with me. So, I am just crossing my fingers that it goes well. I am going to tell my Dr. that I don't have a whole lot of support at home and that way I hope she will keep me on the longer end of the number of days possible. She told me 2-4 days and I am hoping that it is 4. I am having my surgery on a Tuesday. That would put me out of the hospital on Friday or Saturday where I would at least have the weekend help of my teenager and DH. Then I figure by the time he went back to work on Monday I would be at day 6. I am crossing my fingers that I could at least make it to the bathroom on my own at that point. My little ones are pretty good at getting me a diet coke, so I think they would be ok as long as DH made breakfast before he left etc.

I totally sympathize with you on having no help. It totally stinks. But, as the other sisters say, ask for help from anyone who offers it. (((hugs))) and good luck.
Tricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2006, 01:46 AM

WOW! Does your DH know my DH? It stinks to have no support. I am better off thanyou are though, at least all my kids will be at school for most of the day.

Shelley
Unread 11-18-2006, 06:24 AM

Most of us can walk within the first 24 hours, so you'll be able to shuffle to the bathroom or get a snack. Yes, use the maximum time the doc will allow for a hospital stay so you can heal up as much as you can since you have young ones to worry about. Just let the kids know Mom will be tired a lot and need lots of naps and help. My grandson sure got a kick out of getting to order Grandma around and be "pillow police."

Careful planning about meals might be wise. I know I was not capable of standing to cook a full meal for about a week, so we used boxed convenience foods, frozen foods, and the crock pot.

Lena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register