New Member | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Hello All. I am scheduled for my hysterectomy in 22 days. I am 30 years old and thankfully a mother to a great 14 year old son.
I am just a little overwhelmed. I work in the medical feild so I kind of know what to expect but I am only able to take a week off of work is this going to be enough time. I do try to recover as fast as possible but a week? is this enough time. My gyn has to do my case abdominally not vaginally.
I would love some help and ideas. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Re: New Member

As the saying goes . Physician heal thyself ..
I would be surprised if your doctor would be ok with only a week off ...i had abdominal 3 weeks ago .. I was in an online training class from home .. From my bed ... 3 days after surgery, 6+ hours a day... The following week i was at my desk doing the same thing ..BUT FROM HOME!!

I have been blessed so far with an easy recovery .. But even with that there is no way i would have been able to get up and ready to "go out and work" .. Even part time. Even with a desk job. You may feel great outside .. But inside you are still healing. In addition no way can you drive .. Even if you are off narcotics, if you have to swerve, brake or other sudden movement, you can slam yourself against the steering wheel.

The "normal" time off for abdominal is 4-6 weeks... With no complications. I had lost my job and totally understand the financial strain ... But please speak with your doc and listen to him/her and your body. You may "heal quickly" on the outside .. But you can't speed up your internal healing ...there are so many reports about people doing too much too soon and landing in the ER .. And some excellent guidelines in the Hystersisters booket and probably on the site somewhere too ... Telling you what you can and cannot do week to week.
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

I had a TAH BSO with a 6-inch vertical incision.

I took three weeks off work at a moderately-stressful desk job, and then went back part time only for another 4 weeks, which was TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH! There is no way on this planet that I could have gone back in one week. I was back full time 7 weeks post-op, but no OT.

Other medical field ladies I have seen posts from were taking 6 or 8 weeks off. Please talk to your doctor about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM

IMO...1 week is not enough time off from an abdominal surgery. You only get one time to heal correctly and even though the outside may look ok, the inside has just gone through MAJOR surgery and needs time to heal properly...Again...just my opinion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register