Well I did it! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well I did it! Well I did it!

Unread 02-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Well I did it!

Since I found out last May that I needed a complete abnominal hysterecomy I have been putting it off! I finally decided that after my last period ended that I would call and set a date and I actually did it! I am a little bit but I feel that I have every right to be. You see, when I had my 23 year old daughter by C-section they could only paralyze me because of the fear of seizures (I had toxemia) and no pain killers. So, I felt it when they cut me open (from the belly button down). Needless to say I am not happy about having to go through anything even similiar!!!! I tell people that it felt like a blow torch until I passed out!!! Since it was so long ago I am a little surprised about how much I remember since I don't seem to remember what I need to on a day-to-day basis! Tomorrow I go see my regular doctor and then on Monday I see the doctor that will perform my surgery. Oh, and the baby that I went through so much to have will be in the surgery room with me because she works in the hospital pharmacy and will be working in the OR that day! Is that ironic or what! It's even in the same hospital! Actually though, I am feeling better since the wheels are in motion to get this over with. The stress and strain of thinking about it every day was getting to me and I have probably gained 10 pounds stressing out about it. I really did intend to lose some weight before surgery.
I found this site at just the right time and I love it!
kansasnoah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 10:24 AM
Well I did it!

Hi, kansasnoah! What an awful experience you had to go through with your c-section! That would give anyone a reluctance to have more surgery! (My sister also felt her c-section since her epidural didn't work) But I'm sure you will get excellent anesthesia and pain relief this time. That's great your daughter can be with you for this surgery and offer her support. Try to relax and think of everyone in the hospital pulling for you, trying to make you as comfortable as possible. I think you will be feeling so much better after you've gone through it, and feel healthier without your uterus problems. Talk to your dr and your anesthesiologist about your fears--I'm sure they will greatly reassure you. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 02-20-2002, 05:30 PM
Well I did it!

kansasnoah. Welcome to hystersisters. That's great that your daughter will be there with you. That is ironic

Thanks for introducing yourself and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Well I did it!

Hi Kansasnoah! I know what you mean about being . In my case I wasn't really too afraid of the surgery itself, it was the anesthesia that scared me - big time. There is a rare inherited disorder called malignant hyperthermia that happens to run in my family - my brother has it for sure and we don't know about the rest of us because there's no blood test for it yet. This can cause really horrible reactions to certain anesthesia agents which can be fatal. Also it doesn't happen every time so even if a person with the disorder has had anesthesia before and been ok that doesn't mean the next time will be safe. There are certain anesthetics known to be safe for people with m.h. but all of those seem to either give me awful nightmares or make me very nauseated, yuck! So I insisted on having the anesthesiologist call me the night before surgery (you can ask for this at your preop appointment at the hospital, don't hesitate if you have any anesthesia questions). He was very reassuring, told me he would take all the appropriate precautions including having an antidote handy and also giving me strong antinausea drugs with my anesthesia. I was still nervous but it really helped talking with him. When the time came the anesthesia went wonderfully and I never felt any nausea either. So, if there is a specific part of the whole experience that's frightening you the most, don't be afraid to insist on speaking to someone about it before the "big day". Most medical professionals will want to help because they know that if you're in a positive frame of mind things will go better. Just know that it's already taken you a lot of courage to make the right decision and there will be lots of people behind you cheering you on
Best of luck to you!

- Linda
Unread 02-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Well I did it!

Hi Kansasnoah,

Welcome to Hystersisters. The other ladies here have already given you some good advice on talking with your doctor and anesthesiologist about your concerns, but I just wanted to say that I am glad that you found us and hope that you'll keep us posted.

's

Karen
Unread 02-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Well I did it!

Sometimes the strain of making a decision is much worse than the decision itself! Once we decide, things seem to get better and move forward.

I agree with the others here...be sure to speak openly with your doctor and anesthesiologist before your surgery, and communicate your past experience and your fears. Things have come a very long way in 23 years, and pain management is one of the biggies these days in hospitals!

I'm sure this experience will be far different than your other one...and you'll be ready for a happy and healthy new life after your surgery.

So happy you are here with us! Read everything (check out the Pull Down menus on the home page to help get ready) and post all your questions. We're all here for you!!

Karen
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:47 AM
Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all of the encouraging words! I have told my primary doctor and the doctor who is doing my surgery in a few days about this site. Neither one had heard of it but said that they would check it out. I hope that they do. I am actually doing great and am in a better mood than I have been in a long time! Everything has been done as far as the pre-op visit and my lab work. I just have to pick up the lab results so that I can hand carry them to the hospital Monday morning. The doctor had me make an appointment to come back to see him next Friday morning to get my stitches taken out which seemed to me to be a little soon. He also told me that they would give me a hormone patch right after surgery which was a relief because I had read posts where some had experienced hot flashes in the hospital. I thought that was too much to have to deal with after everything else! The doctor said that I could drive in a week also which I thought was a little soon too. I will just listen to my body and do what I feel like doing-so there! I have started doing some housecleaning which has needed to be done for a long time (not one of my top priorities even in the best of times! hehe). When the doctor said that I couldn't do any housework my DH looked like he wanted to say something but one look from me changed his mind!!!! All communication isn't verbal!!!! hehe
Anyway, everyone have a nice day!
Lynn aka kansasnoah
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Well I did it!

Hi, Lynn! Glad you're feeling more positive about your surgery now. Hope everything goes very smoothly for you. Some drs take out the stitches or staples a few days after the hyst, and some wait a week. My staples were out about 54 hrs after, and my incision healed up fine. (The internal stitches are still there holding everything together, and they dissolve gradually.) Yes, listen to your body about driving, and take short trips at first. Also, remind your dh about the no housework rule, and take full advantage of this time to rest and relax! Hugs and best wishes! You'll be a pampered princess soon!
Ruthie
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Well I did it!

Hi again Lynn! Just one other thing I wanted to add after I saw your second post -- when you get to your room, as soon as you're able, try to have DH or a nurse or someone help you check your body for the patch. It should be on your lower abdomen somewhere or your hip or backside. The reason I'm suggesting this is because my DR ordered a patch for me to be put on at surgery, and it never came from the hospital pharmacy but everyone in surgery assumed that it had and that someone else had put it on me. The result was that about 6 hours later when I was practically in flames we discovered that I didn't have one! The nurse got one immediately and everything was fine after that, but it's worth checking just to avoid having a big hot flash on top of the usual postsurgical stuff.

Also, when you get home and have to fill your prescription for the patches, you might want to ask your doctor to specify "no substitutions"...the reason I'm suggesting this is that I didn't know that, and my pharmacy substituted a generic on the request of the insurance company. It wore off a day early and I had a major emotional meltdown which resulted in a big (and unnecessary) fight with BF...everything is fine now with a new prescription, but why risk it? Ask your DR about this.

Hope you have a great experience and easy recovery!

s,

-Linda
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks Linda and Ruthie!

I appreciate the information about the stitches Linda! I guess that I am still a little leary since I haven't had much experience with medical stuff other than have a C-section 23 years ago and a lot has changed since then (thank goodness!). My doctor has a problem gettting me to even come in for a yearly check-up and once I am there she checks me out pretty good! I always go (eventually) though because I know that it is very important. That was good advise Ruthie about the patches. The doctor asked me at the pre-op if I take pills every day and when I said that he did he recommended that I take a pill instead of a patch. His comment was that a patch doesn't give you very much estrogen if it falls off! I will ask that he request no generic pills though so I thank you for that hint! I am convinced that in some cases generic is not as good as a name brand even though they try and say that there is no difference. Not when the bottom line is usually the almighty dollar! I have scared my DH to death I think by reading to him about emotional meltdowns. He's wondering if he will survive this whole event I'm sure. That is okay, it doesn't hurt to keep DH's on their toes! He will be very supportive and I have no worries on that front plus I have a mother who lives close by and she will help also. Friends will be around too. I may get spoiled by all the attention!
You two have a great day and thanks for writing.
Lynn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register