what have been your Drs. views on going in swimmng pools? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what have been your Drs. views on going in swimmng pools? what have been your Drs. views on going in swimmng pools?

Unread 06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
what have been your Drs. views on going in swimmng pools?

Hi,
I know their is probably a wide range of answers and opinions but wondering how long most MD's recommend until being able to go into a swimming pool? I had a TAH on 5/18 and incision looks great--dry, no drainage, no reddness. Before I left the hospital, he told me I could resume tub baths 2 weeks post op but I didn't ask about a pool. I called office today and and the nurse didn't feel like it was a good idea but DR. wasn't in so they are calling back in the morning. Not sure what the difference would be if I am able to take a tub bath. (It is our own pool and we have made sure chlorine levels are up etc.. to eliminate any possible bacteria). I confess I already cheated and went in yesterday without thinking twice until a friend mentioned she didn't think I should so I am out until I get the official ok but wondered if any of you have had MD advise. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 02:00 PM

i also had a tah w/bso on may 17 i called my dr. and he said no pool we also have one and its been calling me.
it seems other drs give the go ahead at 2 weeks and so on so maybe yours will give an ok
Unread 06-09-2005, 02:56 PM

I just had my 2 week post-op appt. yesterday and my doctor gave me the go ahead. She said I could take the kids and I could get in, but I could not do any swimming of any kind. She said that would be a form of exercise and that I couldn't do until the 6 week point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2005, 03:06 PM

I am three weeks post op and went for my three week check up today and my doctor gave me the go ahead to swim. But I had a LAVH so that could make a difference. Just call and leave a message for you doctor to call you. That is what he is there for. Hope you hear something soon.
Unread 06-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Just a thought,
I was released from the hospital w/ out any papers, my DH husband went back about 1 1/2 weeks later and ran into a nurse that we know weel in labor and delivery. He asked her why I was released w/out any discharge papers and she said NO matter what the Dr.'s say, tell her not to bath or swim for the whole 6 weeks. It will hust up her chances of infection. So having a TVH, I did neither for the whole time. I am not sure how true this is, but I have known her for about 13 years, (she worked w/ my previous OB) she now works in labor and delivery. My OB said 1 week and I caould bathe.
Unread 06-09-2005, 04:25 PM

My doc said "NO WAY!" until at least 6 weeks - not before the 6 week checkup. She said that she will probably say the same thing for an additional 2 weeks as she doesn't like any of her patients in the pool for 8 weeks. The risk of infection is just too great. Like she said, if I went and then ended up with an infection, I could be out of the pool for the entire summer.

Her rule about 'nothing in the vagina' includes pool water. When the hospital was giving me my discharge paperwork, they went over the 'nothing in the vagina' rule and specifically mentioned no pools - or worse yet, hottubs - during the healing interim as well. (I'm not a hottub person anyway so that didn't bother me at all.)

Funny how different docs have different ideas but mine hasn't steered me wrong yet so I'm hanging at her side with stuff like this in my case.
Unread 06-09-2005, 06:52 PM

Wow, thanks for all of your replies. I have been doing some research on the computer out of boredom and have found a very wide range of information also!! Many say 2 weeks if your outside incision is completely dry and healed and some say 6 weeks! My MD is calling back in the morning so I guess I will follow whatever he says--I have been going to him for over 20 years and have alot of trust in him! It is interesting to hear all of the differences though. Some articles even say that very mild swimming is ok. I am not interested in that--I just want to cool down and get a tan!!
Unread 06-09-2005, 08:43 PM

At my 2 week checkup my doctor told me if I had my own pool in my backyard I could resume swimming but any public pools such as Y, Bally's, neighborhood, etc. would need to wait until 4 weeks. I normally swim 1 mile (72 laps) a day at Bally's, it was very hard to wait. He told me I could go at 2 weeks and walk treadmill but it was just too close to the pool. At 4 weeks post op I started swimming again, started out with 36 laps and added 6 laps every 3-4 days until I was back up to a mile.

Cindy

I forgot to post I had SAH.
Unread 06-10-2005, 07:06 AM

My Dr. called back!! I got the okay to use the pool!! Just told me no diving or strenuous activity!! (Not to worry!) Thanks to all of you for your input---I can't wait--I am lounging all day in the sun!!

Stormy
TAH-5/18
Unread 06-10-2005, 10:05 AM

Great news for you!

I just went to my Dr yesterday and he told me relaxing in the pool is OK on Monday of next week... about 1 day shy of 2 weeks for me.

I'm like you.... I'll be "shuffling" as apposed to running to the pool Monday a.m.!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register