Newbie w/? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Newbie w/?

I am so glad I found this website! It has been a wealth of information to me already!

My Princess date is fast approaching (3/23/04) and I still have so many questions! And of course, my emotions are soaring!

I will be having a LAVH/BSO, does that mean that my cervix WILL be taken out? Of all the questions for me to not think of to ask or for him not to think of to tell me! My pre-op appointment is on the 19th and I will definitely ask him then and I can even call him now, but I thought I would ask and see if anyone knew what the answer is.

I mainly wanted to delurk and say that if it were not for wonderful people like you here on Hyster Sisters, it would be hard for people like me to get through such a difficult and emotional time in our life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Newbie w/?

It depends on your condition .Because I have endometriosis and adenomyosis . the doctor took my cervix out . In some cases the leave it in . However leaving it in also means that some endometrial tissue MAY leave itself on the cervix and you could still experienc emini preiods if your ovaries are still in /

mei
Unread 03-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Newbie w/?

I found the following questions to be very helpful at my pre-op:

Questions for your Pre-Op Appointment

1. How long will the surgery take?

2. What all will be removed? Uterus, ovaries, tubes, cervix, appendix? (How will you remove these organs? Through abdomnial incision? Through vagina? With help of laproscope?

3. How long will I be in hospital?

4. How long will I be on bed rest?

5. Will pathology report be done of all organs removed? I do want one done.

6. How long for results of path report to come in. (If cancer is suspected, when will I begin cancer treatments and what kinds of options are there?)

7. If I'm taking BC pills or HRT, do I stop taking prior to surgery?

8. What meds will I be on for pain in the hospital and when I am home?

9. Will he use a bladder tack? What is a bladder tack? (If you have incontinence, this is the time to bring it up as this is the best time for bladder and/or rectum repair)

10. Will you use a tummy binder on me? Will I need one?

11. If ovaries are being removed, when will I start hormones (HRT)? Most important will he help me to adjust if needed or should I see my family doc to help with this?

12. If I am keeping ovaries, how will I know if my ovaries are going to work post-op? If I experience hot flashes, how long will I endure meno symptoms before the ovaries kick back in?

13. Will I need any prep before surgery? (enema, stool softenr, etc)

14. When can I drive?

15. How long will I be off from work?

16. Can I lift my baby? If not, how much can I lift safely at 4 weeks, 6 weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Newbie w/?

Thank you for your replies. I had to go into the doctors office this morning to make a payment so I asked the front office lady if the LAVH/BSO included the cervix. She said that it usually does unless otherwise specified by the doctor (which he didn't say anything). So, I am going to assume that mine will be taken and I will verify that when I go in for my pre-op. It was bugging me not knowing anything one way or the other, not even a 'maybe'. At least now I have a "sort of" answer. It may not be a definate answer, but with what the front office lady said and with what you said, it's enough to hold me until my pre-op. Again, thank you for your help!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register