Pre-op with gyn or GP? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op with gyn or GP? Pre-op with gyn or GP?

Unread 04-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

I have read several threads that indicated that the pre-op appointment is with the gyn doctor. I am supposed to have an appt with my general practitioner to get the blood work, xray, history, etc for my pre-op appt. Has anyone else had this experience? Curious, I have never heard of this before. My gyn oncologist signed the request for my GP to do this pre-op screening. Let me know your experiences, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie55
I have read several threads that indicated that the pre-op appointment is with the gyn doctor. I am supposed to have an appt with my general practitioner to get the blood work, xray, history, etc for my pre-op appt. Has anyone else had this experience? Curious, I have never heard of this before. My gyn oncologist signed the request for my GP to do this pre-op screening. Let me know your experiences, please.
I had my pre-op physical with my GP, and my pre-op appointment is with th anesthesiologist. I need to bring all the results with me, the blood work, EKG, and anything else they ask for. So it sounds like you are doing the same thing I need to do. I am going to call on friday to make the appointment for my pre-op to be at the beginning of next week, because I feel if I need anything else to be done I want plenty of time to do it.
11 days till the big day!!!!
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

I have to go to my family doctor on Monday the 7th of April for my pre-op physical, and I can not have my surgery done with out it.. I have never had to have one done before, but it'sall good....Best part is it is covered by OHIP.. So I dont have to pay to get it done.. Even though we have free health care so to speak in Canada, there are a number of things like doctors notes and other type of physicals that are not covered and they can be quite pricy..... I just have never had to have one of these done before and Ihope I dont have to have more blood taken... Go figure.... I have 9 tattoos, never flinched for any of them, put me near a doctor with a needle, and I need someone to hold me down and I need to lay down for a few minutes after... I am a whimp!!! lol...

Your sister
trufrend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie55
Hey blondie55,

I live in Ontario so I am not sure if it is different here but I have an appointment 10 days prior to my surgery with my GP for a pre-surgery physical. I also have an appointment at the hospital 7 days prior to surgery to meet with a nurse, have blood work etc. My gyne will not be at the hospital appointment.
I am sure it is different everywhere but my surgery was booked in January for April and January was the last time I will see my gyne before surgery.

I hope I have answered your question and not rambled on ... LOL

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

Hi Blondie,
I have 2 pre-op appts. One with my Primary care Dr for the lab work and to check me out to make sure I am healthy enough for surgery and the other with the gyn/surgeon. So, you are not alone having to go through the hoops.
It is no big deal for me since my office is just under a mile away so I might even there and a good friend of mine is the x-ray tech so she will be taking my picture
Unread 04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

I guess the short answer is 3. The experience is below.

My HMO has a policy that the Primary Care Physician has to sign off first. So the way they do it is they coordinate all of the appointments. First I went to PCP and he did an exam, EKG, ordered bloodwork, and urinalysis and told me that my next appointment was the following day (which I knew) and that he would make sure results were in. I then went to my GYN (same day) because I HATE needles and I wanted to make sure that she didn't need any additional bloodwork ordered. Good thing I did. They needed a couple of other things.

My appointment the following day was with my allergist - I have asthma. He did some tests. Charted my breathing results and signed off.

The final appointment was with my GYN/Surgeon. She got results and signatures from the others. Answered questions and said that because she had recently seen me, she didn't need to do an exam. She sent me for a chest x-ray and that was it.

Oh, I forgot that I had an appointment at the hospital. They drew more blood and did another pregnancy test. I filled out another mile of paperwork.

I may have gone crazy if I had to schedule all of that myself, but because I was a surgical candidate (their term) - they schedule every thing and rearrange things and get you in.

Ooooooooops, so I guess that is 4 pre-op appointments.
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

My PC doc and GYN surgeon are both in an annex in my hospital. I had a pre-op physical done in early February for my last surgeries, so I don't need to see him this time. I go to the GYN first, then over to the hospital side for the bloodwork, etc. I'll be meeting with a surgical nurse, the anesthesiologist, and also will pre-register at that time. Going to be a full day there, but at least it's close to home and all in one spot!
Unread 04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

My pre-op is scheduled with my gyn on april 15th. I have a million questions to ask since I don't know much about what he will be doing other than I am to have a TVH.
Unread 04-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

I think it may matter if your healthy or maybe older. Im 35 & I have many heart & lung issues so my gyn wanted a note from my gp my pulmonolgist (sp?) & cardio I even saw my EP doc but I didnt before when & had my 2 laps. B4 I had my new diseases Im just lucky I guess Good luck!!!!
Unread 04-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Pre-op with gyn or GP?

I have my PRE OP with my PC Doc on April 8 for all the tests, blood work, xray , EKG etc. then I go to my GYN for her PRE OP on the 16th and I have to bring all the test results with me. As far as I know I don't know if I have one at the Hospital or not ,I know my son did when he had surgery on his feet a few yrs ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register