Introducing myself | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Introducing myself Introducing myself

Unread 08-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Introducing myself

Hello to all of you on this board. I have been looking up different sites about Hysterectomies since I will be needing one for severe endo. I came across this site and have been reading lots of your posts and I began to feel better. Meaning, that you all were asking the same questions that I had running through my mind and found so much kindness and support!

I am waiting for my Dr's nurse to call me to schedule a date for surgery. I have had the endo probably from the age of 13 (My Dr's opinion) but wasn't diagnosed until age 28 when I landed in emergency surgery for a ruptured "chocolate cyst". At last, I knew I wans't crazy and knew the "pain" was not normal. I got sooo frustrated when people always told me, "Just take an aspirin" as everyone gets cramps. I said this can NOT be normal. Too much pain. Anyway, I am now 45 and I have had enough. Dr had me on birth control pills and it has been wonderful for me but at my age he now wants me off it. Well, been off it since January and the pain wasted no time in coming back full force. I ALWAYS have cramps. I get my period every 2 weeks and it lasts for 2 weeks!
I am excited to be doing something about this now but I am also concerned about the surgery. I am having panic attacks now and have trouble breathing becasue I get so nervous. Do any of you get that way?
Any advise will be greatly appreciated. This is my first post in joining all you wonderful gals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Introducing myself

Hi aj210!

I too have severe endo and I get my period every other week as well. However, I'm only 31. I have had endo for quite some time (about 13 years), but recently it became severe - it was discovered during my tubal ligation in February 2003.

I've also been on the BCP with no luck, as well. I was told by my doctor that I can continue to take it until my surgery -- but it's my choice, as the pill isn't working. I continue to take it as it keeps my flow lighter, even though it's every other week.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I too am nervous about the surgery, being I'm so young, but I'm hoping that it will give me some relief to a lot of things -- cramps, bloating, painful sex, etc.

Val
Unread 08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Introducing myself

Hi Val,

Thanks for your reply! I am sorry that BCP didnt help you much. I probably would have had a hysterectomy at age 31 if it didnt work on me. I had tried everything and the pill was last resort next to a hysterectomy. I also know I wasnt ready mentally or emotionally at that time to have a hysterectomy but now I am.

One thing about BCP.. I found that it elevated myy cholesterol level A LOT. I mean like 262. Since I went off the pill in January my cholesterol level is 192.. Just an FYI.

I know it's normal to be nervous, but that is not much comfort when you feel like a wreck. We will get through this though.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and wish you all the best.
Please let me know how your doing! I care and I understand.
Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Introducing myself

Welcome, both AJ210 and Val! We are here for you any time. Feel free to ask any questions you have as your surgeries approach -- knowledge will help calm your nerves. Might I suggest that you start keeping a list of questions for your dr. as they pop into your head...I found myself lying in bed at night, and all of a sudden, I'd think of something I wanted to ask. If I didn't write it down right then, I would forget. Just keep adding questions, then when it is time for your pre-op appointment, take your list with you and ask all your questions. That helped me with my peace of mind immensely, as I knew I wasn't forgetting anything important.

And remember as you are reading the post-op board, most of the women who post are doing so because they have questions or problems. You don't hear nearly as much about the success stories, so let me share mine with you.

I had a TAH/BSO, pelvic floor repair, bladder sling, rectal repair and mini tummy tuck on July 11. Got out of the castle on the morning of the 14th (I could have gone home the 13th, but because it was Sunday and my dr wasn't on call that weekend, I had to wait). By Friday the 18th, I was walking almost a mile per day (broke it up into two half mile walks). By Friday the 25th, I was walking two miles per day. The only real problem I've had with my recovery is that I feel so good, I'm tempted to do things that I really shouldn't be doing yet!

So keep your chins up, and focus on how much better you are going to feel once you are a princess!

Prayers to both of you for successful surgeries and perfect recoveries!

Helen
Unread 08-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Introducing myself

Thank you Helen for your post. It is really comforting to hear success stories and I think that is what I need to focus on during this waiting period.
You wonderful people are going to help me through this as you are doing that already. (smile)
Will let you know when my date is set. I hope it's soon as I would rather be typing my "success" story.
Thank you in advance for all the support!

Joanne
Unread 08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Another success story

I thought I'd add to this post and let you LIW's know that I also had severe endo and had my SAH on April 30th.

It was the BEST thing I ever did (besides marrying my hubby, lol)!

I am pain free and enjoying life again. I can't remember the last time I felt soooooo good!

If you've prepared yourself mentally for this surgery (mostly by trying every other option first) and your life is greatly effected by the endo (and it sounds like that's the case for you both) then I think you'll be pleased with the outcome. I KNOW I am! I cannot begin to express how truly lifesaving it has been for me. I am a new person.

I know it's scary to face this surgery...talk with your doctor if you need any help with nxiety about it. It's common to feel anxiety about major surgery...so don't be afraid to ask for help. I was so ready to have this done that I didn't need to ask my doctor for that help, but I also had a LOT of support around me and I was in extreme pain all the time, so nothing scared me at that point. I was almost suicidal from the constant pain...so what could I possibly fear at that point, right?

Just hang in there ladies, and make yourself at home here on this board. You'll find all the comfort and support you need!

Rita
Unread 08-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Introducing myself

Hi Rita,

Nice to meet you! So happy things turned out well for you. Glad you are pain free and enjoying life.

Thank You for the encouragement!
Joanne

P.S. Am i supposed to call you by your name Rita or Fussybird?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register