PMDD: The Last Resort? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMDD: The Last Resort? PMDD: The Last Resort?

Unread 05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
PMDD: The Last Resort?

I have had PMDD for 5 years. I also have bipolar disorder II and generalized anxiety disorder.

I have tried all manner of bcpills including Yaz and Seasonale as well as nearly every mood stabilizer, anti-depressant and anti-anxiety med in an attempt to reduce my PMDD symptoms. My psychiatrist and I are currently doing another round of literature reviews to determine if there are meds/procedures we haven't tried. A few years ago, I asked her and my GYN what they thought about a total hysterectomy. They both thought that: a)it was a drastic solution b) insurance wouldn't pay for it and c) there was no guarantee it would work. I'm not concerned with (a) or (b)...my life is being swallowed up by PMDD and BP and I would do anything to get some relief. I am concerned about how this would diminish symptoms. Even though I would no longer have ovaries, my pituitary gland and hypothalumus would continue to secrete the hormones that stimulate estrogen production. Correct? Does it b/c a matter of those glands sending messages to an empty address with no harm done to my serotonin levels?

I do have a few steps to take before I seriously consider a hysterectomy. I haven't tried Lupron (didn't even know about it until I found this site!) I also haven't tried increasing AD dosages during the luteal phase. There's also suggested supplements like calcium and magnesium, but, I must be honest, I don't put much faith in that.

I am blessed to have a beautiful DS and have no intentions of having anymore biological children as my first pregnancy brought with it BPII and PMDD. I also have diabetes. DH and I would LOVE to adopt, but PMDD makes it nearly impossible to think of bringing another child into our lives at this time.

I have been really encouraged by the positive stories some of you have shared regarding hysterectomies and PMDD. I would love to hear what others have tried, positive or negative. Please share any newer meds that you have experience with.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2008, 09:33 AM

Hey Love,

I usually address someone by their username but I sure didn't want to address you as Monthlymonster ... LOL

I understand where you are coming from totally. I suffer with PMDD. In Canada we call it PMS. I was told with my ovaries remaining I would still suffer but you already know that.

I am sorry I cannot assist you but wanted to let you know I really appreciate this thread you created and will watch it like a hawk.

Great big hugs for you and I so hope your hard work and research pay off.

Be good to YOU!
Tracy
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:31 AM

since removing your ovaries would put you into surgical menopause, you will have hormone replacement to deal with and the menopause symptoms. i've read on the board that surgical menopause has affected alot of womens bi-polar and anxiety issues. i'm not sure a complete hysterectomy would help alleviate symptoms of pmdd or possibly complicate things. do lots of research on pmdd and hysterectomies..you can google and gets lots of great info. i wish you the best of luck..i hope it all works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Just as clarification, PMS and PMDD are two different diagnoses. PMS is what we usually think of as the cranky crampy bloated woman craving chocolate... PMDD has that component, but it is much more intense symptoms as well as related neurological symptoms. If PMS starts negatively affecting your life, your relationhips and your work, then it is probably PMDD.

My PMDD presented as severe anxiety and a total personality change (I became impatient, reckless and even violent a few times, very different from usual), plus I had very clear but completely wrong memories, and I had aphasia, which is not being able to think of the right words when I was talking. All that on top of the cranky crampy lady... whew!

Here are links to some threads about PMDD...

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...2&page=1&pp=10

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=322593

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=318868

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=319757

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=308593
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Hi Julie,

Thanks for taking the time to post those links and clarify the difference.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM

Not sure if it is an option for you...but I would try the Lupron. I have similiar issues and endo. After I hit 30 yrs old ...I had terrible PMS, bloating, pain, moody. I missed work for 2 days every month. I tried every BC pill, antidepressant....nothing.

I am on the Lupron injection currently...I feel sooooo much better. I know I can only be on it for 6 months. But now I know if I choose a total hyst that I might get some relief. Discuss it with your Dr and there is tons of info on this site about it.
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM

I had severe PMDD until December 6th 2007. I, too, tried many different meds over the years, including Lupron which did help for awhile. After all else failed, I had a LAVH and BSO. Drastic, yes, but certainly not my first line of treatment. I've had 0 symptoms since then! And also the first time in 8 years with no meds! How your other diagnoses fits into things, I don't know, but surgery will take away your PMDD symptoms.
Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register