Recovering is unique | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovering is unique Recovering is unique

Unread 05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Recovering is unique

I keep seeing all these posts and hearing all these women when I was in hospital, or before my surgery say " you won't have any pain, its a piece of cake, recovery is like no time at all." well after my surgery I began to feel like a panzie because I was in so much pain. I am 1 week post op and I am in bed, tired, hurting, and can bearly walk upright for more than 7-8 minutes. You know what everyones pain level is different, recovery time is different, body's are unique, surgery's are different. So this for all those ladies that are slow recoverer's like me. I am only 29 but my surgery had complications, my body is fragile, my pain tolerance is low, and my recovery has been slow. I called my doctors office and the nurse was so loving and sweet and straight forward. They don't call it a four six week recovery for nothing. The majority of people take four to six weeks to recover even with a vaginal hysterectomy. She said it actually takes up to a year if not longer to completely heal on the inside. Have any of you had a c-section? I did and I thought about that experience. And I remember that my scar was numb for like 2 years after my surgery. Don't compare yourself to other people. Your body and experience are unique honor your symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Recovering is unique

Your right everybody is different. But, honey your only 1 wk out...I didn't start to feel human til bout 2 1/2 wks...then I was still in kind of a fog....3 wks I was at a Ron White show, 4 wks I was driving..at 4 wks, I really was starting to feel myself and not just a girl whom had been ran over by a Mack truck... There is light at the end of the tunnel...but, you have to REALLY baby yourself..they say don't..DON'T...
you will be rewarded by a better you!

Good Luck..
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Recovering is unique

well said...I am so glad there is light at the end of the tunnel.....cause that is exactly what I'm looking forward to...albiet all too soon!!!

Today is day 12 since surgery and I sure felt like it was the end for me one week ago....and this week I am not AS weepy and somewhat ready to enjoy planting the few flowers I was given.

I have been doing way too much...driving, light housework, bathing small dog...sitting too much at computer ..hee hee...venting my feelings to you...
I really should be out doing more walking!

We do have to rest & be patient though...yes that inner healing does actually take longer. My visible stitches seem like they are ready to fall out and I have no pain, some numbness and still little pinkish discharge.

IT DOES GET BETTER & I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO A BRAND NEW ME! LOL!
(SO IS MY HUBBY!)

hugs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Recovering is unique

From my "date club" on this site it was VERY obvious that everyone's recovery is different. The danger is that people try to push themselves because 'so&so' has already done 'this&that'.

I always listened to my body and spent almost 24 hrs a day in a prone position for a bit more than 2 weeks. At one week out I was a hurtin girl. I started to feel human during week 2. During week 3 I actually started staying off the sofa or out of bed - and went all the way onto the porch and sat up reading; towards the end of week 3 I actually made an easy supper for us. Week 4 I started driving and cooking again. Week 5 was my "miracle week" - I actually started to feel GOOD. Week 6 I felt better than new !

As you can see I had a "slow start" also - and I'm GLAD I did. I rested, I learned to enjoy slowing down, and I carry a newfound appreciation for the simple things with me to this day, 12 weeks post-op.

Recovery isn't a race - there's nothing to win by pushing it and I gained ALOT by taking it slowly.

I wish you all wonderful recoveries.
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Recovering is unique

What a great thread. Whats intersting is how much we expect from ourselves. For instance, reading posts from someone at 1 or 2 weeks out, I feel like typing BABY YOURSELF! You only JUST had major surgery!
But when I was two weeks out, I felt SURE I wasn't doing squat....and was ALREADY frustrated with myself. And today was my six week checkup and my doctor said at some point (when I was complaining that I'm not where I wish I was): "Cut yourself some slack". Aye Carumba.
So I guess I'm reminding everyone to CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK, lol. Try not to contrast and compare your recovery to someone else's, because it varies WILDLY, I'm learning. Hard to do, I know!
HUGS,
Unread 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Recovering is unique

Amen! I just got home from trying to work today and was about to post that I feel like a total pansy! I'm 3 weeks post-op and keep reading about several ladies that have gone back to work by this time. My doctor even cleared me last week.

I hurt, I'm tired, I'm in no way ready to be going back to work yet. I was feeling down about it thinking, what is wrong with me? I'm so glad to read this thread to know I'm not alone.

I'm crawling back into bed and staying there for the rest of the day. Maybe tomorrow too.
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Recovering is unique

WOW! We sure are unique! GREAT THREAD!

I read this thread earlier today but after reading what Ellie posted I had to respond.

Ellie ... you managed to get your tushy to work at three weeks and call yourself a 'total pansy'. I am not sure what I am then ... LOL

Today I went to the deck and I hurt and I am also three weeks post off. I had some repairs which are causing me grief too but I am most comfortable laying down.

I think you need to give yourself a hug and permission to feel whatever you feel.

(Wondering ... why would a doc release someone at three weeks? OUCH)

Hugs to all my unique sisters!
Tracy
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Recovering is unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreene
What a great thread. Whats intersting is how much we expect from ourselves. For instance, reading posts from someone at 1 or 2 weeks out, I feel like typing BABY YOURSELF! You only JUST had major surgery!
But when I was two weeks out, I felt SURE I wasn't doing squat....and was ALREADY frustrated with myself. And today was my six week checkup and my doctor said at some point (when I was complaining that I'm not where I wish I was): "Cut yourself some slack". Aye Carumba.
So I guess I'm reminding everyone to CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK, lol. Try not to contrast and compare your recovery to someone else's, because it varies WILDLY, I'm learning. Hard to do, I know!
HUGS,
Evergreene ... stated so beautifully! Thank you!

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Recovering is unique

I am going into my 5th week and I hurt alot at times still!! I do nothing I do not want to do~~~I have not even driven yet, IF I go anywhere my DH takes me. My bestest pal was coming over twice a week to bring me tea, her and I usually go to CURVES and tea 3X's a week. She came over for the first two weeks now she tells me when I get better and can meet her there we will start up having tea again!! POOHIE!!! That made me mad

Sorry I got off subject~~~I think some gals really do think it is a 'Piece of Cake' I have heard that alot!

Garrcramer~~~I say it is my body and if I hurt I hurt, if I want to lay in bed all day that is OK too You only get one chance to heal do it right!! Everything else can just wait!
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Recovering is unique

I agree with what everyone is saying! I too, was feeling like maybe I was being a wimp (after reading what others were doing) but then I am me and I know that I am not a wimp or baby ( I have had many surgeries on my hips when a little girl and last one was 10 years ago) so I knew I could get through this, it just might take me a little longer! I am really taking it easy, just this week moved from the bed to the couch (I am 3 weeks post op today) I have done nothing around the house (god love my wonderful hubby!) and will not be going back to work until June 3rd. I am going to take my time and really allow myself this time to heal and think about the good things in my life. I am not going to compare myself to anyone else even though some of us have had the same surgery, we are each unique in the way we heal and deal with what life has thrown at us.
So, with that said, I wish you all a wonderful healing period!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register