Preparing for postop hysterectomy at home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparing for postop hysterectomy at home Preparing for postop hysterectomy at home

Unread 03-30-2015, 03:44 AM
Preparing for postop hysterectomy at home

I am really curious about why so much is said about spending all of your time in the first two weeks in one room. What is the reason for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2015, 04:12 AM
Re: Preparing for postop at home

I did not do this. I think maybe the thought is to have everything conveniently located in one place so that you don't have to move around so much. But I felt good and wanted to move around, and my dr encouraged me to do so. I really didn't do anything in my home ahead of time, other than hurried up and got yardwork done because my surgery was in early June. I was allowed to go up and down stairs at will, as long as I held the handrails and didn't carry things up and down. I would go crazy spending all my time in the house for 2 weeks, one room would probably kill me, haha. Recovery is such an individual thing, I hate being hovered over and I have difficulty sitting still, I can't take naps, so staying in my bedroom for 2 weeks was not an option. I hope you have an easy recovery like mine!
Unread 03-30-2015, 04:18 AM

thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2015, 05:22 AM

I'm with coughy - I think the idea is that if you don't feel like moving, it's convenient to have everything in one place. Me, I'd go stir crazy. I spent my first two weeks in the bedroom, the living room, the kitchen, the bathroom, the patio and going for lots of walks around the immediate neighbourhood.

My third week I started working on adding steep hills to my repertoire, which allowed me to get out of my immediate neighbourhood.

Oh! Another thought - if you have family who lives with you, being out and about around the house might encourage them to ask you to do all the things for them that you usually do? So it might be safer to stay in one room? I dunno about that. I think you should unleash your inner toddler and keep telling people NO.
Unread 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Going against the grain here.

It would be great if everyone felt wonderful after their surgery. It would be great if everyone could just go back to their daily lives with minimal pain or discomfort. I hope it is that for you.

But remember you are about to go through major surgery. it is a good idea to prepare for that.

Part of that prep should be preparing your space. Not because you have to spend the first 2 weeks in one room. Or even in your house. But because if you feel like you want to, you can.

I prepared two spaces. I made sure I had a bunch of pillows in my bedroom. I also made sure I had a cell phone charger, tissues and a couple of other essentials there. Then I put a few pillows, cell phone charger, tissues and essentials next to our recliner. It was nice not to have to get up (or ask someone else to get up) every time I needed something.

If you prepare a "nest" and don't need it, great. But of you don't prepare anything, and do need it, you are out of luck.

In the words of Edna Mode from the Incredibles, "Luck favors the prepared."
Unread 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM

I'm with Knitting Fool.

I actually just finished my second week, and I spent both weeks (after returning from the hospital) in my room. Part of that is because I had complete control over the cleanliness of my room. The rest of the house was rather a disaster - two male dogs, a 5 yr old son and a hubs - and if I'd been in any other part of the house I wouldn't have been able to not clean.

That's not to say I was flat on my back the whole time. But a clean, tranquil environment helped keep my stress level to a minimum. Also, we have French doors in our bedroom that open onto our patio. I was even able to avoid the rest of the house when I wanted to do my laps on the patio (I much preferred to be outside when I did my prescribed walking).

Please prepare a nest. Hopefully you won't need it. If you do, it will be waiting for you.

Praying for the best possible outcome with your surgery!
- Amy
Unread 03-30-2015, 11:21 AM

It's not meant for you to sit in all day, just a resting area you can go to when you need a rest that's already got everything you need, because the last thing you want to do while resting is to get up and get something. It's a good idea to have an area picked out that has things like a phone charger, books, a lamp, tissues, chapstick, water bottles, and some pillows and blankets.

You do have to rest occasionally after major surgery, believe it or not.
Unread 03-30-2015, 01:02 PM

You do have to rest occasionally after major surgery, believe it or not.[/quote]

I don't think that any of us were saying that she should never rest after surgery! What I at least meant was that I did not need a special place all set up to do it. I just sat down in a chair, and got up if I needed something. I did not need to go to a lot of trouble to rearrange the house to accommodate my recovery. Whatever I wanted to have (drink, remote, iPad, phone) I took with me when I sat down, just like I would normally do. I think it really depends on the home situation whether it is worth it for someone to go to a great deal of trouble to create a space that they may not use.
Unread 03-30-2015, 02:23 PM

That last sentence was meant to be funny for the OP, not as a reply to you or the other posters. I meant it like this-

"I have been working all day and didn't drink any water"
"Well, you do have to stop for water once in awhile"
Unread 03-30-2015, 04:29 PM

Awesome, thanks everyone. I have no kiddos at home and no pets so I won't need to isolate. I was thinking all the posts meant I would have to lay down or be in bed the whole time. It sounds like there is a range of possibilities. I may not get to take as much time as I - or my body - would like. I haven't a lot of leave time from work. I had 6 surgeries between July and November last year and was back to work within hours or days for each of them. Possibly too quickly, so I am hoping to do it well this time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register