Scheduled TVH Pubic Shaving Pre Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pubic Shaving Pre Op Pubic Shaving Pre Op

Unread 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Pubic Shaving Pre Op

My pre op instructions say to shave my public area. Does anyone have hints and tips for this endeavor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Re: Pubic Shaving Pre Op

Yes, I do! That's the...eh..style I normally wear, so..

First trim the hair short as possible- they have bikini trimmers for women, which is very handy, but a beard trimmer or scissors works just as well.

Next you want to get in the tub and soak- softening up the hair. you want to use a brand new razor for this, also. I highly recommend skipping shaving cream and opting for hair conditioner.

The real trick is to stretch the skin tight- sometimes I swear I need a third hand to do it. Just work in small areas, and go slow.

When the hair grows back in, you will probably have a few bumps here and there- basically the beginning of ingrown hairs (it happens). just use some pointy tweezers cleaned with alcohol to pop the hairs out.
Unread 12-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Pubic Shaving Pre Op

Thank you so much! I'll use your tips! Hyster Sisters rock!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake567 View Post

First trim the hair short as possible- they have bikini trimmers for women, which is very handy, but a beard trimmer or scissors works just as well.

Next you want to get in the tub and soak- softening up the hair. you want to use a brand new razor for this, also. I highly recommend skipping shaving cream and opting for hair conditioner.

The real trick is to stretch the skin tight- sometimes I swear I need a third hand to do it. Just work in small areas, and go slow.

When the hair grows back in, you will probably have a few bumps here and there- basically the beginning of ingrown hairs (it happens). just use some pointy tweezers cleaned with alcohol to pop the hairs out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2014, 10:27 AM

I second what the previous poster said conditioner and new razor. A good one. Triple blade or better..
Unread 12-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Pubic Shaving Pre Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake567 View Post

Agreed with cutting it short first, soaking area for a while to soften skin & conditioner vs shaving cream and skin taut. Since you aren't experienced with this I'd recommend dulling the new razor just a tad by shaving legs first. It is very easy to cut yourself. I apply neosporin after. Also choose a good razor not some cheap disposable. There is a huge difference. If you want to delay the itch for while op for getting waxed. Hurts like crazy and totally awkward but stays like that for weeks.
Which means no crazy itching while at your worst and no stubble at time of surgery. If they shave you again and they most likely will it may rash if you have sensitive skin since they nearly dry shave w cheap razor at hospital. I'm not brave enough for the wax again so I plan to shave. Good luck. Be careful of the bean. Nicking that hurts like crazy and heals slowly.
Unread 12-01-2014, 12:25 PM

If it were me, I would give it a trim and then use a hair remover like Nair. Then, there is no chance for cutting or nicking.
Unread 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Go with the grain the first time. If you go against the grain you will get bumps and ingrown hairs. Trim hair first, soak in a tub, use conditioner or shave gel (non menthol) and a brand new razor with double or triple blade and conditioning strip.
Unread 12-01-2014, 07:00 PM

I'd be careful about using Nair, especially if it got near the vaginal opening or inner labia. Your lady bits are quite delicate and those chemicals are quite harsh.

The first reply did a very good job explaining what to do, so I'll add my +1 to that.

Do the instructions say if you're to shave off everything akin to a brazillian, or can you do something less dramatic and just shave the top? I didn't have instructions to shave, so I only trimmed since I felt the weird need to be... idk... "presentable" during surgery. Even though I know doctors don't care about that sort of thing. Since it's not your usual style, I'd say only shave what's required of you so you have less chances for ingrown hairs to irritate you during recovery.

Edit: Silly me, I just realized it's a TVH, so the doctors are probably more concerned with the "bottom" being shaved than the top.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register