Hospital stay time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital stay time Hospital stay time

Unread 08-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Hospital stay time

I will be going in to have my surgery on the 18th of this month. When the surgery nurse called she said that I will only need to be in the hospital 23 hours. Is this normal for everyone on here because reading through everything it doesn't appear so. I would appreciate any answers as to how long everyone was in the hospital. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2003, 12:46 PM
What are you having done?

I had an SAH and because I was let go two days after surgery without having had a BM I had to return for 3 more days due to complications.

It depends on what procedure you're having done. It's important to speak up if you have any concerns before leaving the hospital. It's usually an insurance issue that determines the time. My insurance company forced my doctor to let me go home 2 days after surgery and because of that I was in 3 additional days! Stupid insurance! lol

So...it does depend on what exactly you're having done...but if at any time you do not feel ready to leave the hospital, speak up. They can do the necessary things to keep you there if you should need it.

Rita
Unread 08-04-2003, 12:46 PM
it all depends

Jeni,

Your length of time in the castle depends on what type of hyster you are having and how you do. Are you having abdominal or vaginal?
I had abdominal this past Tuesday July 29, and was released from the castle Thursday.
I'm not sure how long for vaginal.

You'll be in my prayers.
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Hospital stay time

My DR has said that he plans on doing laproscopy assisted vaginal. Unfortunately, due to the fact that when they did the lapro on June 20th they found two "large" cysts that they couldn't remove, he may end up having to cut me. He said he will not know until he gets in there. One of the cysts was on my uterus and one on my left ovary. One option is to remove the left ovary competely and leave the right one. I am very nervous about this whole procedure since I am only 31 and have never had any major surgery. Anyway, I know that the insurance company requires approval by them if you are in more than 24 hours so they are trying to get around that. I just want to make sure I am not making a mistake by letting them do this. I have my Pre-op appt on the 14th and want to be able to voice my concern if I should in fact have one!
Unread 08-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Hospital stay time

Hi Jeni,

I had a TAH and only spent one night in the hospital. I was really ready to go home. Less time in the hospital...means you are doing great (no complications!) My insurance approved a two day stay, but my doctor said that I was doing SO great, I could go home the next day. My stay was past 24 hours, more like 34 hours.
Unread 08-04-2003, 01:16 PM
hi Jeni

I had a Total abdominal hyst with the works (BSO and sampled some lymph nodes) on Tues July 29th. I came home Thursday early aft but I could have left a little earlier. (I was waiting for my ride and wanted to take a shower). It really depends on how everything goes, but as soon as I could - I wiggled around, stood up, walked as much as I could and did my breathing exersizes a lot. I am over weight and was told it could take a bit longer but I am very grateful everything went so well. Hope that your surgery goes well and you are soon here posting encouraging thoughts to other LIW's. Take care,
Lorit
uterine cancer, 1, 1a, TAH 7/29/03
Unread 08-04-2003, 01:54 PM
Hospital stay time

I was only in 23 hours, with TVH. But I still had it preapproved by insurance--you might wnat to look into that so that if there happens to be complications (like he has to do TAH because of cysts you mentioned) there won't be an insurance problem. I know it's inconvenient, but if you let them knwo what is happening it might make it easier in the end.
Unread 08-04-2003, 09:54 PM
Hospital stay time

i was in the hospital only overnight (tvh, a&p repair)...i had urinated, passed gas, kept down solid foods, and had walked with no problems..since the dr who came and saw me that morning (my dr's associate) said that i could stay another day (i hadnt gotten up yet since the surgery) i was quite surprised to hear a couple of hours later he had called the hospital and told them to discharge me...i kind of wanted to stay, simply because i was nervous about something going wrong when i got home..however i felt much better once i got home and could actually get some sleep...............i want to add that 3 weeks prior to my surgery a friend of mine had part of one of her ovaries removed via an abdominal incision and she only stayed overnight too...dont worry about it too much..theyre not going to make you go home if youre not feeling well.........stay well......*diana*
Unread 08-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Hospital stay time

they generally like to make sure your bladder and bowels are working, that your incision has no infection, that you have no breathing or blood pressure problems, etc. In many cases, 24 hours is enough to check all that. I stayed 3 days and was perfectly happy with that. I knew that once I got home I would be stuck upstairs by myself with the b/f gone to work all day. I was allowed 3 days in the hospital and took advantage of the comfortable adjustable bed, the nice nurses, the cable tv, etc. The food was the only downside. I was lucky though. I had a big private room in the maternity wing, and it was a slow weekend so I was one of 2 patients the nurses had to care for.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register