Scheduled LAVH Do you really need to be off work for 4-6 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you really need to be off work for 4-6 weeks? Do you really need to be off work for 4-6 weeks?

Unread 10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Do you really need to be off work for 4-6 weeks?

Hi all - I just spoke to my Dr's nurse to ask how much time off from work I should request and she said 4-6 weeks?!!

I don't have that much sick leave to request, and I work in the payroll department of a company - payroll doesn't wait for people to be out on sick leave as you can imagine...

My LAVH is scheduled for 11/19 and I'm also having a Monarc urethra sling put in at the same time - (I figured as long as they were messing around down there I might as well get the bladder issue fixed too...)

So for people that have had the LAVH - was it truly 4-6 weeks off work to recover? The brochures I got says you can return to your "normal" activities in a week...? Since I don't work a physically demanding job (Stress is a whole nuther thing) I was kind of hoping for a max of 2 weeks off?

Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Re: Do you really need to be off work for 4-6 weeks?

I read somewhere on another post that someone did go back to work within 2 weeks. I was shock. I'm not sure the type of procedure they had done.
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM

It depends on your type of surgery. I am having the Di Vinci on the 28th and they are only giving me 2 weeks to start with because they say it is minimally invasive. We will see. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Hi mrsmack315

I had a vaginal hysterectomy (no external incisions at all). I personally could not have gone back at two weeks. At that point, I was finally off the pain medication, but I tired so easily. In addition to that, I had a hard time staying in one position for very long, and sitting upright was the most uncomfortable position for me.

I work in a physically undemanding job, and returning only ten hours at four weeks post-op was a bit too much for me.

What you might want to do is write up very specific instructions for someone else to do your job, just in case. You can tentatively plan to return early, but if you have things set up for someone else to do, you'll be able to do what's best for you if needed without worrying that people won't get paid.

You have only one chance to heal right, and it's usually better to plan to use the full time allotted, since you may need it. Even if you experience no complications from surgery, you'll need to spend a lot of time focusing on yourself and healing.

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM

I had the surgery you are having, without the repairs. There is no way I could have gone back to work before 6 weeks. With the repair you are having you will need to let that heal too. You only have the one chance to heal correctly so you do need to give your body time. Hopefully you can put in for some type of coverage so you can give yourself the time you need. Even though it is not as bad as the open surgery it is still Major & they still are removing organs. Please be careful & take it easy on yourself.
Unread 10-13-2009, 03:49 PM

I believe that the VH has a quicker recovery time than the abdominal, however dont kid yourself its still significant surgery. You will still have a lot of internal healing to do and a lot of resting.

If you can take the advice above and give yourself the option to take time before going back to work. You only get one chance to heal properly and the work is always going to be there when you get back.
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM

I had a RALH and i took off 4 weeks- and even then, the first week i only worked half days... Again, you only have one chance to heal right, make sure you do it right!
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:13 PM

I had LAVH 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I honestly could go back to work now . I feel great. Not a drop of bleeding and nothing more then a period type cramp in the first few days. My doc wrote 4-6 weeks on my FMLA papers. So...since i have the time, my HR dept just gave me 6 weeks off. It is all paid, so, its no sweat off my back. If I had to go back this week, I could.
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Hi mrsmack315,
They are absolutely right. I am now 12 weeks post-op & took the full 6 weeks off. I went back full time & can tell you that for the first month that I was back & never felt so tired in my life. I too have a sit down job but found myself shifting my position in the chair alot because I was a little uncomfortable. You need the 4 - 6 weeks to rest & trust me your body will let you know it. For the first couple of weeks post-op you are sore & trying to cope with normal bodily functions getting back to "normal" & for the most part all you'll really feel like doing is sleeping. Don't get me wrong I still made trips outside for wals to get some exercise but when I'd get back it was like I did a full days work, so I'd lay down for while to rest. They will also tell you to lift nothing heavier than 5 lbs for a while after surgery. The reason for this is just because you don't have hardly any scarring on the outside there are still alot of stitches on the inside that are very delicate & need the time to heal properly. I have been told not to expect to feel completely 100% for at least 6 months to a year after surgery. Having said all that it was the best decision I've ever made regarding my own personal health & well being. Still a bit tired but am feeling better than I have in years.
Unread 10-14-2009, 06:58 AM

I had LAVH and my doctor indicated I would be able to work after 2 weeks, but filled my paperwork out for 4-6 weeks. There is NO way I could have gone back at 2 weeks or even 3 weeks...I didn't have pain or even bleeding until 3 weeks, but I couldn't sit up in a chair for more than hour without feeling uncomfortable at 2 weeks, and I was still napping. Take the advice of all of the HysterSisters, and believe me when I say- you probably won't be ready after 2 weeks! No one is indispensable in work...you only have one body to care for....take care of it...I think I've learned this lesson finally.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register