How long were you on your pain meds post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long were you on your pain meds post op? How long were you on your pain meds post op?

Unread 06-17-2007, 11:05 AM
How long were you on your pain meds post op?

Hi,

I am only 3 days post op (had LAVH on Thursday) and am taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours and they seem to be working. In fact, about an hour before I'm due for my next dose I get that naseous feeling and know my pain meds are due soon. Anyway, was given 30 pills and told to call if I need more. Will be out tomorrow (Monday) and am planning on calling to request more. Was just curious how long other sisters were on oral pain meds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2007, 11:09 AM

three weeks for me and i mean every three to four hours...they had me add motrin to the mix...i took a pain pill then in 2 hours motrin, the in two hours, pain pill, etc. it did really help. i still every now and then have to take one. my insides are still sore!!
Unread 06-17-2007, 11:14 AM

i just took motrin once i was home. i didnt continue any pain meds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2007, 11:25 AM

Muon,

I'm with Vicki; I'm just past three weeks post-op and I was on the pain meds for 18 days with the motrin in between doses. Everyone's pain tolerance is different, so if you need the relief don't hesitate to call the DR for a refill. Pain can cause stress which can inhibit sleep and delay healing. So so what u need to and be comfortable! Take care!

Lizzy
Unread 06-17-2007, 11:55 AM

I had my TAH on 6/13, came home Fri. 6/15. I've been taking Motrin twice a day & a Percocet in between if I feel I need it. I expected to feel much worse than I do. The gas pain is worse than anythign else.
Unread 06-17-2007, 01:59 PM

I'll be two weeks tomorrow and I've been taking one pain pil at bedtime and then just Motrin during the day. The Motrin really helps with the achiness and overall pain. The pain pill (Darvocet) makes me really sleepy so I just take it at night as I'm having problems sleeping too.
Unread 06-17-2007, 02:22 PM

I took 2 percocet every 4-6 hours for the first week I was home. I'm allergic to ibuprofen so use aleve if needed but really haven't had that much pain since the first week.
Unread 06-17-2007, 02:23 PM

I took Percocet for about a week. Didn't take it regularly though and stilll have nearly half of the bottle left. Switched to Tylenol and actually felt much better as it controlled my pain and I didn't have that hazy feeling from taking a narcotic. I was also able to have normal bowel movements after switching from the Percocet to the Tylenol. I will add that iced my belly alot and that really seemed to help. I totally recommend icing. One of the nurses at the hospital sent me home with a "stay dry ice pack" and I still use it for those days when I overdo it.
Unread 06-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Pain Meds

I came home with Vicodan and took it regularly for about 6 days. I was able to switch to Aleve after the staples came out. Everything has been so much better since the staples came out...I had to go back to dr's office to get them out and was afraid it would hurt, but it didn't!
Unread 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM

I took the percocet regularly for the first 6-7days and then maybe once a day till days 9 and 10 then I hadn't taken anything no motrin or anything all last week. Then I had a set-back Friday and had to take a percocet. So if I was you I would call and get more so even if you are not taking them regularly you have them there if you have a set-back or a day thats a little harder then the others. You are still pretty early in your recovery. Please remember to pamper the princess!!
Take care sister!!
Echo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register