Something is wrong | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Something is wrong Something is wrong

Unread 11-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Something is wrong

I don't think I am healing right. I had a lap-assisted-turned-into-abdominal-hysterectomy on November 10th. I still have trouble walking upright, I still have to hold my swollen belly when moving and I am still in pain and need pain meds around the clock.

I had a post-op UTI and was put on Cipro, which I am still on. I had it rechecked a week after I was told I had a UTI because my symptoms were getting worse, not better and the recheck showed no growth, it was all cleared up. I am having a burning pain, mostly on the right side of the incision, occasionally sharp shooting pains up my vagina (like a hot poker!), low back pain and deep, deep pelvic pain inside. I feel sick inside. I have off and on nausea and dizziness that almost makes me fall down. No fever.

Tonight my abdomen is distended and feels like it is about to explode. I did not overeat and I had a BM after dinner. I have been regular with my bowels, thank God and the gas is pretty much gone.

BUT, I am really distended and it feels bad...I have to sit with my legs spread to make room for my belly almost! I am not hugely overweight (about 5'5" and 170) but I do have a flabby belly that hangs over the incision (who's doesn't?? LOL). I still have steri strips on and one area near the left side looks like it oozed at one point. Last night I lifted my pouch to inspect the incision and I saw a small amount of discharge from the incision. I swiped it with a q-tip and it was slightly yellow and smells (sorry for the graphic post). I did not notice any discharge today. I wash it gently in the shower with anti-bacterial soap and pat it dry.

I am afraid maybe my bladder has been injured. I also had a bladder sling done at the same time. The surgeon said I had extensive adenomyosis all over my bladder as well. I can't find any info on signs of complications from TAH and/or bladder sling repair. I am afraid maybe I am leaking urine inside my body from a nick or something or maybe I have a blockage.

I see the uro on Monday cuz he is out of town til then. Does anyone have experience with post-op complications? Sorry this is so long. I will go to ER if I need to, I have no fever or vomiting so I am just trying to wait it out.

Oh and I have insulin-dependent diabetes on an insulin pump, so I will heal slower anyways and am at a higher risk of complications. My blood sugars are good though (another sign I may be just fine...).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Something is wrong

Kristen, I would call the doctor's office today and explain what's happening. They can advise you about going to the ER or maybe they can work you in today. Sounds like you are in too much discomfort to wait until Monday. Take care!
Kim
Unread 11-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Something is wrong

Hi Kristen

I hope you have taken the advice and called the Dr's office today.

I know your diabetes means that you will heal slower but the distended tummy doesn't sound right, neither does oozing. I know that my Mum, another diabetic, had to be very careful of any wound not healing and get it treated quickly.

Please get help sooner rather than later.

Hugs

Katy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Something is wrong

I'm with the others. Don't wait. Because of the diabetes, you may not have a fever when you have an infection and it can get really bad very quickly. And your sugars will get all messed up. Don't wait. Call the doctor's office.

Hang in there,
Unread 11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Something is wrong

I know everyone is different, but I had my TAH/BSO 4 days before you did and I have blessed to not have any post-op complications. I would say the distended abdomen, continued pain and the oozing at your incision indicates that there is a problem. I hope you called your Dr., it definetely sounds like you need to be checked out. I have been blessed, been walking good for about 2 weeks now and off pain meds since then, and my incision is closed and the steri-strips are off now (just to know what a problem-free post-op would be like for our time-frame). You need to be seen as soon as they can see you dear. Diabetes is a serious disease to have to deal with along with a post-op recovery, hope you get well soon.
Unread 11-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Something is wrong

Brighton,

I am a Type II diabetic and had surgery on 11/14. I've been in the dr office three times since discharge, because I too have "oozing" from a portion of the incision that won't close. Today, she ended up packing the opening and will have to change the packing daily. Last Sunday I called her and she started me on an antibiotic and saw me the next morning for my second wound check. Unfortunately, I've gotten a yeast infection from the antibiotic and now diahrrea, so she started me on a second antibiotic to rule out c-diff in the bowels. (Sorry for the graphics.) As one diabetic to another, you need to take the proactive stance in your health care & management. Please, please call your GYN tonight if you haven't gotten in to see them today. It sounds like there is something going on that's not right!! I'll wait to hear your results. I'm sending you good vibes from Michigan!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register