Severe stabbing shooting bowel pain.. :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe stabbing shooting bowel pain.. :( Severe stabbing shooting bowel pain.. :(

Unread 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Severe stabbing shooting bowel pain.. :(

15 days post op...

I was kept up all night from severe pain around colon region.. I'm happy to accept it may still be constipation. (I've only been on paracetamol however with odd codeine hit at night but not a lot).

Is it still ok for my bm to still be sorting itself out ? Anyone else had these shooting pains?

I'm starting to drink list of water and have gone back on the colace with senna.. I feel this isn't helping my recovery!

I'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Severe stabbing shooting bowel pain.. :(

Hi Ninji! I had this too and I think you are correct about the constipation. I stopped taking the senna a bit too early, I think, and going back to it seems to help.

I have read some threads that talk about bm issues lasting months, which is distressing, but it sounds like it is normal - to a certain degree: if you are in continuing pain, give your doc a call just to be sure. I think our insides get pretty beat up, and it takes a while for the intestines to stop being grumpy. Good luck!
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgisnuggles View Post
Hi Ninji! I had this too and I think you are correct about the constipation. I stopped taking the senna a bit too early, I think, and going back to it seems to help.

I have read some threads that talk about bm issues lasting months, which is distressing, but it sounds like it is normal - to a certain degree: if you are in continuing pain, give your doc a call just to be sure. I think our insides get pretty beat up, and it takes a while for the intestines to stop being grumpy. Good luck!
Hey thanks.. Sux big time. I stopped early too.. I'm back on that wagon.. Gas isn't as much now though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Yes, I get those too. I have no current constipation issues though. I actually think mine was caused by colace. When I stopped the colace the pain stopped, but it's only been a few days. I'm waiting to see if I get any more of these pains, they are horrible, make me scream out in pain, and you never know when they are coming, they are the worst!
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:06 PM

My understanding is that these are likely colon spasms? I'm not a doctor though, so definitely check with yours. They hurt like hell, don't they? I hate them. I'm planning to stay on the Colace until I see my doctor for a 4 week checkup. That, prunes, and water are really helping me.
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:44 PM

Colon spasms OMG!! I have them and have had them all my life. They HURT!! Had one today. I wish I could have some relief from that. argh!!
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:39 AM

I think I would call your doc just to be sure. Any kind of severe stabbing shooting pain in the colon region can be a signal of possible blockage or another serious problem. While it is true that it takes time for your bowels to heal, it can lead to other problems. Probably best to check with your doc and see what he thinks. Hopefully, he can give you some ideas and some relief.
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Yes I seemed to have pain like that. Definitely avoid constipation. Stool softeners, more water, and high fiber cereal. Have salad and fruits and if you eat any bread should be multi grain and high fiber. Avoid foods that are hard to digest like cheese, red meat and chocolate. Also try to take walks 3 times per day to help things move. Miralax also worked for me. For stool softeners and Miralax you need to drink extra water for them to work well. If gas pains Gas-X offers relief too. I am now almost 9 months post op and I feel great. Hang in there.
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM

I had them before surgery and they were excruciating...couldn't stand or sit, had to lay down. And forget about trying to sit on the toilet, there was no way!! Now, Post op if I have them they are not as severe. Metamucil and a colace at night, lots of water, and veggies as much as I can are extremely helpful.
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Yes. I had those pains... And Omg so painful! Keep taking stool softener and drinking plenty of water. I also started eating some activia and even prune juice(gross) I mixed it with grape juice and even once with apple and it helped a lot. Hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register