So confused about my recovery expectations! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So confused about my recovery expectations! So confused about my recovery expectations!

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
So confused about my recovery expectations!

Hello! I am 3 weeks post op from my TVH/BSO w/repairs. My recovery has been going really well so far. I had my 2 week check on Monday and my doc said I looked great and cleared me for anything I felt up to doing (except sex) including lifting, vacumming, mowing, riding a bike, etc.. I have been feeling virtually no pain for most of the past week and have had good energy on most days. But today, I am super tired and feel a little achy in my tummy.

My confusion is this...My doctor says "do whatever I want to do at 2 weeks!", a friend's doctor told her that she will need to be laying down for most of the first 2 weeks & then very little after that for 6 weeks (and she will just be having only a pvh) and the hystercheckpoint for 3/4 weeks says NO Vacumming (or any heavy housework), mowing or heavy lifting at all but light housework is fine. Which is the right answer?

Is anyone else confused???? Do I need to still be cautious with all the stiches I have internally (due to all my repairs with the TVH/BSO) or not (as my doctor says. He is not concerned that anything would come undone (and he is a really great surgeon/doctor...don't get me wrong) as he feels confident in his work and says that he is much more lenient than other docs in his clinic).

I have the time to recover (I am a teacher, not due back until end of August). I dont' want to baby myself but I don't want to hurt myself either! Sorry if I am rambling...I am trying to verbalize it! Can someone give me advice on this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Re: So confused about my recovery expectations!

The best advice i have heard here is to listen to your body and ease back into your life. Take advantage of the time of rest, but also do what you are able to do. If you start to ache again, then take a day to rest, and maybe not do so much the next day.

This is a weird recovery process i will admit.

I am 3 weeks today, and was doing so well on Monday, only to be sidelined yesterday by an infection in my incision that hurts and burns and make me feel nauseous and overly tired....grrrrr.....
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM

It seems to be such an up-and-down recovery. I had a LAVH on 6-22 and some days I'm feeling so incredibly well that I tend to over-do it (like taking a 3 mile walk) and then I'm on the couch for 2 days. I've decided that even when I am feeling good I'm only going to do a couple of mile-long walks and a little light housework. In between, I rest and read. So far (about the last three days) this has seemed to work. I'm not nearly to the point of crashing like I was last week. It's hard to remind myself to go at things slower, but it does seem to be making a difference. I start work next week (thank God my doctor talked me into taking this week off) so I hope I'm ready for that.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM

Jennifer, I think your doc is nuts! I'm 10 weeks today, and still not vaccuuming or lifting anything over 10 lbs. For your doc to say he is much more lenient doesn't sound smart on his part. As the NP told me at 4 weeks- You've had major surgery! You need time to recover!

Holly
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM

I had TVH 6/23 and at my 2 week post op my doctor also said I could do whatever I wanted except "nothing in the vagina, no lifting over 30 lbs, no hot tubs or public pools". She also emphasized I need to listen to my body. I am going back to work Monday - desk job - almost 4 weeks post-op - and she recommended 4 hour days for my first week. She said when I overdo it, I will experience spotting and/or pain in my lower pelvic area and that is my sign to back off.

I am amazed when I read that some people's doctors release them to have intercourse 2 weeks post-op, but I guess your doctor knows you and your situation, so regardless of what you read here, you need to trust them to give you the best advice for YOU. Good luck in finding that balance.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Im going in for my two week today and day before yesterday I tried to Vaccume my living room ( very smal maybe 12 by 12 if Im lucky) .. well I got about 4 swipes in before I was sore and decided Im totally not ready to start any heavy house work .. so use your own judgement vaccumeing shouldnt feel like a work out and if it does then your not ready ... good luck
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Hey Jennifer, I've been really confused also. My dr. really hasnt given me much of any restriction since the begining only dont lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. Tue. surgery proved I had done to much when she found a popped stitch and a rip. So I think I'm going to listen more to the majority on here. I also go back to work in Sept. and dont want to have any more problems, I want to get back to my kids in good shape. Good luck and thanks for all your support.
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsg213 View Post
Jennifer, I think your doc is nuts! I'm 10 weeks today, and still not vaccuuming or lifting anything over 10 lbs. For your doc to say he is much more lenient doesn't sound smart on his part. As the NP told me at 4 weeks- You've had major surgery! You need time to recover!

Holly
Well, I know he is a great and very respected doctor whom I trust and I want to understand what he is saying but I also agree with you too about needing to recover. He said do what I felt like doing and not be super worried about a small ache when doing something. I think he says this because he told me he sees people who baby themselves too much and don't recover quickly and get depression. I am a healthy 41 year old and I do feel good most days & am healing well...HOWEVER, I am planning to take it much easier than he said! I am NOT going to vacumm, mow, full Jazzercise routine or lift anything heavy for at least a few more weeks. I am back to most other household tasks and that has been fine.

Just after I posted this question, that next day and 1/2, I had some bad days. I was really tired, sort of achy and just out of sorts so that was a HUGE reminder to me that I am still healing and i want to baby myself a bit more and I am worth it! Thanks for you thoughts!
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:11 AM

I am amazed when I read that some people's doctors release them to have intercourse 2 weeks post-op, but I guess your doctor knows you and your situation, so regardless of what you read here, you need to trust them to give you the best advice for YOU. Good luck in finding that balance. [/quote]

My doctor hasn't released me for intercourse yet!!! Good golly no! I had major vaginal repairs done so I don't get checked internally for another 4 weeks. I wouldn't let my DH do that right now...not interested! But we tried outer creative cuddling last night for the first time and that was a success!

I agree with you! It seems you have to read all of the different doctors opinions, the recovery of others where you are, listen & know your own body and then find a balance with all of it! It is hard isn't it? But I do trust my doctor and he has done tons of surgeries so he must be dispensing the right advice for me! Thanks for the reminder of trusting him!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register