Is sitting too long a problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is sitting too long a problem? Is sitting too long a problem?

Unread 02-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Is sitting too long a problem?

Hello everyone,

I had a partial hysterectomy on Wed, 1/27/10. My doctor was able to complete the procedure robotically and there were no complications, so now I'm home and on the road to recovery. I spent almost all day yesterday on my laptop and have noticed today that I have alot of soreness and pain. Is sitting for long periods of time bad for my recovery? I certainly don't want to make my recovery time any longer than it needs to be and I don't feel comfortable having to take the pain medication. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lysandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Re: Is sitting too long a problem?

Glad to hear your procedure went well!!! Yes, sitting for long periods of time can hinder your healing. While you dont want to OVER do it, its really good for you to get up and take short walks a few times a day. I'm up to about 25-35 minutes 4-5 times a day just walking around the house. The walking is great for your circulation and also helps aid in digestion. Definitely listen to your body and know your limits, but make sure you do get some walking in. I find that I like to walk a little before bed time and then again in the morning to keep from feeling so stiff then a few small walks in the afternoon time.

Hope you continue to have a great recovery!!!
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Hi. Best wishes to you for a total recovery. Yes - moving around is key. As long as you don't over do, you're helping your recovery. Really be careful not to do the "no-no's" like lifting, vacuuming, going shopping, pushing a shopping cart, etc.

Take the pain meds if you need them. I took them every four house around the clock for the first 10 days or so. It's hard on your body to have the pain - best to get better rest without pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Hello. I had a TAH back in June. It was REALLY hard for me to sit for a long period of time, too. My incision was vertical, so sitting was just uncomfortable and I was always afraid of it splitting wide open! Watching TV was actually hard for me because I just couldn't get comfortable. Moving around is key. Small steps. I used to go for 3 mini 15 minute walks with my mom and my dog every day - after the first couple of weeks. I took the pain meds at first, too.

If you have a binder, wear it. It was instrumental in my recovery. I am six months post-op and I still wear it! I just feel thinner in it!

Listen to your body. No one knows your body better than you do!

All the best to you!

Jean
Unread 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I spent almost all day yesterday on my laptop and have noticed today that I have alot of soreness and pain. Is sitting for long periods of time bad for my recovery? I certainly don't want to make my recovery time any longer than it needs to be and I don't feel comfortable having to take the pain medication. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Well girl, let's talk about pain meds. They give it to you for a reason. If your body is dealing with pain and healing at the same time it's exhausting and takes longer. Use the meds. and get some sleep. I got on my laptop in 1/2 hour periods after my 3rd day of surgery but you seem to want to just be well. It sounds like a good surgery but you must realize that someone opened you up and moved things around and removed something. You need to lay down and relax. I'm just beginning to feel normal going into my 4th week. Walk around your house in seven minute increments to get things moving in your lower body but I can't stress enough that you should take your meds until you are painfree or close to it. Give your body the healing it needs. Good luck.
Unread 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Its my understanding that sitting straight up for prolonged periods can make your insides where they are healing stick to your other insides where they are healing causing scar tissue to form. so limit your computer time or sitting up time, get up to walk to break it up, do some lounging. If your comfortable with out the pain meds thats fine, but you probably are more sore from being on laptop all day.
Unread 02-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindidwhat View Post
Its my understanding that sitting straight up for prolonged periods can make your insides where they are healing stick to your other insides where they are healing causing scar tissue to form. so limit your computer time or sitting up time, get up to walk to break it up, do some lounging. If your comfortable with out the pain meds thats fine, but you probably are more sore from being on laptop all day.

Really? wow! My doc never mentioned anything like that. Wonder what the difference is between laying down for long periods vs. sitting for long periods? Or is the period of time you're talking about 24 hrs at a crack?

I have a recliner at home and it is wonderful! I set it so I'm leaning back about a 45 degree angle, and my feet are up. It also is very comfy to tuck a pillow under my knees. I was so incredibly comfortable in the hospital bed those 3 days post-op because I was able to have it at that angle.

Yes, get up and move! Even in the hospital they didn't want me sitting too long. 12 hours post-op they had me up to take my first baby step. Then every few hours after that they came in asking if I wanted to try a small walk down the hallway.

Also, sit too long and you can get bed sores and your muscles weaken from not moving. Get up and move as best you can, but listen to your body and rest. You've gotten great advise here! Pamper the !

Unread 02-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Maybe when your sitting its all compressed as we slump and dont have perfect posture, but my doctor didnt tell me that, its one of the things I read when I was going nuts waiting.
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Hi pinkfrog,

I also had pain when sitting for the first couple of weeks and (even now sometimes after three weeks). I think the advice people have given you on here is good, keep changing your position around and go for short walks every now and then. Keep taking the pain medication as even though you may feel ok, there is a lot of internal healing going on and I think if the body is fighting pain it will do that first before the healing can be done.

Good luck, take it easy and make yourself number one for a couple of weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register