Bladder control issues after sugery anyone? What is a bladder sling? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder control issues after sugery anyone?  What is a bladder sling? Bladder control issues after sugery anyone? What is a bladder sling?

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Bladder control issues after sugery anyone? What is a bladder sling?

I just have to ask. Is anyone else having this problem? Ever since my surgery, my bladder does not seem to be functionally properly. I mentioned it to my doctor on Monday (4 week checkup) and she said that it lost a great deal of support when uterus was removed and it has not settled into it's new permanent home yet. Plus I am probably irritated from the catheter. I can go to the bathroom, go sit back down on the couch and have to go again immediately. It's like I am having trouble fully emptying my bladder. (She said that there are no signs of any kind of infection.) But sometimes when I'm just walking, I feel that I am having leakage. This is soooo not cool. Anyone have any advice, suggestions, etc?

Also, what exactly is a bladder sling? And how is that procedure performed? Is it done to correct an existing problem or as a preventative measure? Just curious. Almost feeling like I could have used one of those at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 01:52 AM

Hi Huggie Bear,
I am experiencing similiar problems to yours. I have to go to the bathroom more often, and my bladder doesn't feel like it is emptying completely either. I don't think it's a bladder infection because I don't have a fever, and I don't feel like I have to go all the time (just more often). My 4 week check-up is tomorrow ans I'll see what my Dr. has to say. Hopefully you'll get some more responses!
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM

Huggie Bear,

A bladder sling is just that...a mesh sling that supports and lifts the bladder back into its original position – sort of like a little hammock. The mesh system that my doctor used is called a Prolift.

I had the Prolift done because my bladder had prolapsed and I was leaking.

My procedure was laparoscopic and I spent one night in the hospital, due to being catheterized. The catheter was removed the morning after the surgery. I had four tiny puncture incisions – 2 in my lower abdomen and 2 between my legs – as well as a small vaginal incision. The sling is inserted through the vaginal incision then positioned and held in place by pulling tabs on the sling out through the puncture incisions.

If you Google "Prolift" it will refer you to several websites. The Johnson & Johnson site has a pretty good diagram of the sling and how it is positioned in the abdomen.

With all that said, hopefully the problems you are experiencing are just from the internal trauma of the surgery and will clear up on their own in a month or so.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register