Any idea why my surgeon would tell me to not take vitamins? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any idea why my surgeon would tell me to not take vitamins? Any idea why my surgeon would tell me to not take vitamins?

Unread 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Any idea why my surgeon would tell me to not take vitamins?

I was told at my hospital pre-op to stop my multi a week out, due to vit c and e having anticoagulant qualities. My surgeon thought that was over cautious and silly. On my discharge papers, he wrote 'no multi vitamins'. Why? I would think vitamins and iron would be a good thing for recovery.

Tracy

LAVH 12/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Re: Any idea why my surgeon would tell me to not take vitamins?

I would think that the only reason to not take the multi-vitamins could be that iron can constipate you. Also, as you mentioned, C & E being blood thinners could possibly slow your healing process. I'd call and ask why. Maybe it was just a mistake?? I was on iron post-op b/c of blood loss, but was taken off of it as soon as my counts went back to normal. But, I was also taking Milk of Magnesia w/a shot of prune juice to combat the constipation. I know it sounds disgusting, but it actually isn't all that bad, should you decide to go back on the multi-vitamin & find you need a little help "going." Best of luck!!
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:06 AM

I was told that pre op, but not afterwards. They tell you that pre op b/c certain vitamins affect w/ the absorbsion of meds...especially anesthia. I have resumed taking my daily vit and uped my vit c...just due to flu season and our immune system being possibly comprised w/ surgery. I would call your doc and ask if you can resume w/ your daily vit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:22 PM

I was told to stop all vitamins and any OTC pain meds a week prior to surgery (except for Tylenol). Many of the ingredients in vitamins can interact negatively with the anethesia you are given and can cause complications during the surgery. My hospital gave me a pamphlet on it but I've since thrown it away so I don't remember exact specifics, just that it can cause unforeseen complications.
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:14 PM

That's weird, my hospital *gave* me multivitamins and zinc the next day...
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:12 PM

I was told to stop them about a week prior for the same reason as others have posted. I picked up taking my calcium/vitamin D/zinc first. When I went off my pain meds after day 4 or 5 I picked up my multivitamin along with my cal/d/zinc supplement. Cal/d/zinc from what I have researched are good for healing especially zinc. Fruit, prune juice, fiber cereal have helped with constipation.
Unread 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM

One reason that comes to mind involves the iron component of multi-vitamins. After a hysterectomy, we no longer have periods and thus we have no way to get rid of any excess iron. Iron can build up to toxic levels in our bodies quite quickly which is, of course, dangerous! Thus, some of us are cautioned to limit supplements of any kind that contain iron to avoid any potential issues.

I would suggest double checking with your doctor about why he does not want you to take a multi-vitamin post hysterectomy. If iron is the issue, you could ask if it would be okay to take a multi-vitamin labeled for women 50 and older as those generally do not contain iron. There could be other reasons and possible ones related solely to recovery.

Unread 12-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Then maybe they gave them to me for the iron because I was severely anemic to begin with and especially after the surgery...
Unread 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM

My instructions were to only stop the supplements prior to surgery. After surgery I could (and did) resume them. Also one of my Drs. gave me a prescription for 325mg of iron to take after surgery so not sure about the iron mentioned above. Course it could have been my iron was so low at the time.
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM

My DR also told me never to take multivitamins with iron again after the surgery because, without periods, we have no way to rid our bodies of the excess and it can become toxic very quickly. I take "women over 50" vitamins now.

Of course, those who are anemic are not going to get the same advice - but do check back after a while because, if your iron levels have returned to normal, your DR's advice may change.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register