Anyone else have these symptoms on Lupron? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else have these symptoms on Lupron? Anyone else have these symptoms on Lupron?

Unread 04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Anyone else have these symptoms on Lupron?

I had one three month shot of Lupron on 3/1/04 to shrink my uterus for an easier LAVH coming up in June and for my stabbing pains.
Within two days I had a mass on my inner arm opposite my elbow. Two weeks later I discovered another mass in the same area. My GYN said it was not a result of the shot. At the same time I had a headache everyday for three weeks straight, now I only get them occasionally. My pain is 99% gone now.
Back to the mass in my arm, my GP sent me to an Orthopedist and he sent me for MRI. I don't have the results of that yet.
The main reason i'm writing is that a week ago I started getting a swelling on my right rib, within a week the swelling has spread all the way across my body over my rib cage and below, and as of this morning it feels like it's pressing on my stomach. Nausea comes and goes.
It seems every two weeks i'm getting new swelling or masses on my body and am quite concerned about this.
I should also mention that during this time I was put on medication for high blood pressure. ( an ace inhibitor)
I know that some symptoms (i.e. dizziness, nausea) can be a result of either of the medications.
I have done a lot of research on this site and others on the web but have not read of anyone having swelling like this.
I called the doctor, the GP, on Friday but they couldn't see me until tomorrow. I will not leave there until I get some answers.
I feel it's usless to see my GYN because she didn't even tell me of the possible severe side effects.
I am convinced that it is from the Lupron after everything I have read about it.
I'm afraid that there will be nothing they can do for me....once it's in your system it has to leave on its own, correct?
If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.
Thanks for listening.
Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 03:39 PM

I am also on Lupron... was on it for 4 months till insurance decided not to cover it then off for 2 months, now back on it as I can not live a "normal" (what is normal anywho??!! LOL) life.
I have not had any of the signs that you mentioned of lumps or swelling in the abdominal area. I have had nausea pretty badly, loss of appitite, etc... When I did go off the Lupron for the 2 months, the effects were almost immediate of it being out of my system. The shot had worn out for it's month, didn't get the next shot.. period started back up immediately with a vengance!!! For me it was horrid!!(<--- my gram's word!! LOL) The bleeding was worse then before, and the smell was of something that had crawled in a ditch and died. Sorry to be so graphic!!!
Keep pecking at your doc till you get an answer!!! Don't let down. It is your body and you are concerned about this issue - you need answers not only for your physical well being, but also your emotional well being!!!
(((((((hugs and prayers!!!!)))))))
Linda
Unread 04-11-2004, 07:25 PM

vt_pure_angel

Thanks for the reply, I am hoping that when the three months is up it will be out of my body too. Things like this don't usually happen to me. Now every time I eat I burp like crazy so I know something's going on.
I'll update again tomorrow. Thanks for your well wishes.
(((Huggggssss)))
Carol
PS: it's interesting that a woman named Linda replied...that's my sister's name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2004, 07:54 PM

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Two weeks ago I had my third and last shot of Lupron also to shrink the fibroid in time for April 27th surgery. Before having the first shot I read alot about Lupron on the net. It really scared me as there seems to be some sort of class action suit against the company. I felt fine after the first 2 shots and only in the last week I find that I am really tired and drained of energy most of the time. Of course I have the hot flashes and night sweats several times aday and night but I feel that it is nothing compared to the hemmoraging and really sick feeling that I had before.
I am really not sure if your symptoms are related to the Lupron. You really must go and see your doctor tomorrow and try to find out whats up. What type of surgery are you having and on what date?

Debbie
Unread 04-12-2004, 07:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Lupron.

I've been on Lupron a few times, the first time I did the 6 month threatment with the 3 month shots but they put me on the wrong dosage (pediatric) the first shot without realizing it until I went in for my 2nd shot 3 months later, total waste of time and money I had to pay $100s of dollars because my insurance didn't cover it all, I actually sued the pharmacy and won my money back plus my pain and suffering for their mistake in filling the prescription wrong.

Anyways, I'm on it again, my new doctor doctor has put me on it longterm forever if I want. The hot flashes ect aren't so bad because I'm on prempro with it but the weight gain and lack of losing weight no matter how much you exercise or diet is miserable and I to all of sudden am on high blood pressure medication. My doctor says its not related but I find it strange that I had really good low blood pressure all this time before and then boom 144/98 didn't make sense. Also, watch your calcium because of bone loss with being on it. I'm going for a bone denisty test soon to check my level and watch out for your cholosterol, it decreases your good and raises your bad, this also happended to me.

After a year I'm sick of all the shots and problems and I'm going to take my last shot this month and have a TAH in May or June. I'm scared to death about it but I'm praying there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. Lupron is not something I want to be on until I hit menapause, I'm only 27. So after talking with my doctor I asked him bluntly, which is better health wise long term, Lupron with HRT or Hyst with HRT and he said Hyst.

Good luck with your treatments, I never had any cysts form while on the Lupron, in fact I had a ganglion cyst actually go away out of the blue that I had previoulsy drained and it came back and nothing would get rid of it. Less than a month on the Lupron and it was gone and has never returned.

I could go on and on about Lupron, I've been on for so long, if you want to talk more about Lupron let me know.

It's funny how the body works.

Take care of yourself.
Unread 04-12-2004, 07:45 AM
I hate Lupron

As some of you have seen on my previous posts.. I hate Lupron. I was put on this HORRIBLE drug by my GYN in the hospital after losing both my tubes during a Lap. I was diagnosed with Severe Stage IV Endo. The Lupron was supposed to "Burn Off" whatever Endo was missed or left.. I did no research but this, in a nutshell is my version of good vs. evil.

GOOD:
Stopped my period immediately!

BAD:
Anger
Depression
Mood Swings
Insomnia
Bone Pain
Joint Pain
Muscle Pain
Hair Loss
Hot Flashes
Night Sweats
Weight Gain
Fatigue
Disturbing Sleep Patterns (fall asleep in the middle of ANYTHING! but sleep never lasts more than an hour)
Zero Sex Drive
Dryness
Headaches so severe that I cried from the pain

I even ended up in the ER 2 weeks after my first shot. I could not use my right leg and this is no exaggeration. The bone pain was so bad that I couldnt' use it. I literally had to move it with my arms. I spent 3 hours in the ER and the Dr. came in with the Physicaian's Reference Book and it was a side effect of the Lupron. Rare but it could happen. I am one of those "Lucky" ones that if there is a 2% chance, I get it.

I endured 6 months of this drug WITH add back therapy.. It took about 3 months to get out of my system, I went right into Depo Provera and that just added to my misery. It took about 3 months to get out of my system and my period came back for 14 days and each one since has gotten worse.

I have an appt with my dr. today. Here we go again..
Unread 04-12-2004, 08:19 AM

Seeya,

I hear ya! Lupron is miserable, and Depo Provera is worse!
The side effects you mentioned in the bad are all miserable and all to familiar. Good luck at your doctors appointment. I can't wait to be done with this Lupron, I wish I could stop it cold turkey but my endo would be too painful, one more shot to go and then I'll have my hyst and be done with all those awful drugs.

Take care,
Unread 04-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Results of my Dr. visit

I just got back from the doctor and she said the growths on my ribs and a new one on my back are lipomas (fatty benign tumors) and not related to the lupron. I think it's strange that the day after I got the shot these started appearing and they are on the same places on both sides of my body.
Doctor said they can be removed if they are large as they will not go away on their own.
I'm hoping to have my surgery date soon. It will be in early June and I can't wait to get it over with and have this drug out of my system.
Thank you all for replying, I wish you the best with your treatments and surgery. I have to get to work now.
Take care all.
Carol
Unread 04-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Re: I hate Lupron

Quote:
Originally posted by Seeya
As some of you have seen on my previous posts.. I hate Lupron. I was put on this HORRIBLE drug by my GYN in the hospital after losing both my tubes during a Lap. I was diagnosed with Severe Stage IV Endo. The Lupron was supposed to "Burn Off" whatever Endo was missed or left.. I did no research but this, in a nutshell is my version of good vs. evil.

GOOD:
Stopped my period immediately!

BAD:
Anger
Depression
Mood Swings
Insomnia
Bone Pain
Joint Pain
Muscle Pain
Hair Loss
Hot Flashes
Night Sweats
Weight Gain
Fatigue
Disturbing Sleep Patterns (fall asleep in the middle of ANYTHING! but sleep never lasts more than an hour)
Zero Sex Drive
Dryness
Headaches so severe that I cried from the pain

I even ended up in the ER 2 weeks after my first shot. I could not use my right leg and this is no exaggeration. The bone pain was so bad that I couldnt' use it. I literally had to move it with my arms. I spent 3 hours in the ER and the Dr. came in with the Physicaian's Reference Book and it was a side effect of the Lupron. Rare but it could happen. I am one of those "Lucky" ones that if there is a 2% chance, I get it.

I endured 6 months of this drug WITH add back therapy.. It took about 3 months to get out of my system, I went right into Depo Provera and that just added to my misery. It took about 3 months to get out of my system and my period came back for 14 days and each one since has gotten worse.

I have an appt with my dr. today. Here we go again..

And these are the reasons I chose hyster over Lupron when it was offered to me. My sister chose the Lupron route and had similar problems.
Unread 04-12-2004, 12:46 PM

Just in case there is someone reading this considering Depo lupron...I have had two shots..two more to go..also taking an add back therapy Norethindrone...I am not my usual perky self BUT the side effects are manageable...worth the shrinkage of my HUGE fibroid before surgery....also no more periods..I am figuring I will not have such a rough adjustment to my new regiment of HRT since I already am technically in menopause...those of you that have had such horrible side effects...did your doctor prescribe and add-back therapy...depo lupron by itself would the true satan drug..best wishes to all...Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register