Really ticked at dr. Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Really ticked at dr. Help! Really ticked at dr. Help!

Unread 09-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Really ticked at dr. Help!

I'm so mad today. I need your advise. I had a hysterectomy w/prolapse repair of the vaginal walls on the 22rd. Tomorrow will be two weeks. I'm still having pains and really uncomfortable. And prob over did it because I have little ones.
Anyway.. I ran out of my pain medicine that I came home with Percocet last week and called my dr for a refill on Friday. She said she couldn't call it in because it was a narcotic and we would have to come and get it. Well.. I couldn't drive and hubs was working. So.. She called me in.. After a looong conversation about how I didn't need any medicine at this point and patients never call for refills.. She called in hyroocodone. Which really didn't help a lot, but took the edge off over the weekend and on Monday which was a holiday. She told me if it didn't work to call back Tuesday for Percocet. So.. Today I call.. They treat me like nothing but a drug head and go on and on about how I shouldn't need anything strong at this point. They know I had a hard time controlling my pain in the hospital. I had a 5 hour surgery! So.. She finally says.. The dr wants to see you tomorrow and bring your left over hyroocodone to her and she will give you a few percocet. Are you kidding me??? I paid for them! My insurance didn't even cover them for some reason! Give them to her?! I'm appalled! I'm not a druggie! I've taken very few prescriptions my whole life!
So mad! I don't even want to go back to her. Not even for my post op check up. Seriously? Am I missing something here? Please tell me if I am! Ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Re: Really ticked at dr. Help!

Wow (shaking my head)....I don't understand that type of mentality at all. I went back for a post op check at 10 days and they asked me if I needed my prescription filled and don't hesitate to call later on if I needed more. I'm sorry for the insensitivity of your dr. I would insist that you are still in a great deal of pain, explain you have little ones to take care of. I hope you get results!
Unread 09-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Really ticked at dr. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle8 View Post
I'm so mad today. I need your advise. I had a hysterectomy w/prolapse repair of the vaginal walls on the 22rd. Tomorrow will be two weeks. I'm still having pains and really uncomfortable. And prob over did it because I have little ones.
Anyway.. I ran out of my pain medicine that I came home with Percocet last week and called my dr for a refill on Friday. She said she couldn't call it in because it was a narcotic and we would have to come and get it. Well.. I couldn't drive and hubs was working. So.. She called me in.. After a looong conversation about how I didn't need any medicine at this point and patients never call for refills.. She called in hyroocodone. Which really didn't help a lot, but took the edge off over the weekend and on Monday which was a holiday. She told me if it didn't work to call back Tuesday for Percocet. So.. Today I call.. They treat me like nothing but a drug head and go on and on about how I shouldn't need anything strong at this point. They know I had a hard time controlling my pain in the hospital. I had a 5 hour surgery! So.. She finally says.. The dr wants to see you tomorrow and bring your left over hyroocodone to her and she will give you a few percocet. Are you kidding me??? I paid for them! My insurance didn't even cover them for some reason! Give them to her?! I'm appalled! I'm not a druggie! I've taken very few prescriptions my whole life!
So mad! I don't even want to go back to her. Not even for my post op check up. Seriously? Am I missing something here? Please tell me if I am! Ugh!

I feel for you. Your dr should not be acting that way. Maybe they deal with a lot of Patients trying to get pain meds. Anyhow it is unprofessional of them and they should not be doing this. You need to explain to them why you are still in pain. Maybe they misunderstood you. I feel exactly the way you do. I wouldn't want to go back either. Maybe if you tell them that they really upset you they would change there tune. Everyone is different so they should not be telling you that your not in pain. Only you know your body. I hope everything works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2012, 12:23 AM

I talked to my dr before surgery and told her that recovery was going to be hard b/c I have little ones. I mentioned that to the nurse today and she said yeah... The dr mentioned you have little ones and are prob overdoing it. Ok...
But still.., 2 weeks tomorrow! I had my whole who-who redone with pig tissue and my uterus pulled out of me and I should be pain free?
And bring my script to her? What the heck? I have to decide if im
Going tomorrow or not. I almost want to drag my butt in there and let her have it but i'll only cry like a big emotional baby. .
Unread 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM

Hello, I had the same issue with my surgeon and felt that my pain was not managed from the time I woke up from surgery. I had a morphine pump in the hospital that barely worked. The charge nurse had to phone the doctor to increase the amount of morphine per bolus. My staples were not put in properly, so I came home with steristrips and feel very fragile. Half of the staples fell out while I was still in the hospital! This was very upsetting and unexceptable to me, as I am a nurse who understands wound care.
When I Went back for my ten day postop checkup, the doctor was not available, so her nurse removed what staples remained. My inciscion was bleeding and drained yellow fluid. The nurse was not concerned. Then when I asked for a new rx for pain pills, I was treated like a drug seeker. It was all I could do to endure the 45 min ride to the doctor's office. I was in major pain and felt so mistreated by the surgeon. This TAH has been a scarey experience and leaves me fragile and vulnerable. Hopefully I shall be a better nurse because of this eyeopening ordeal.
Now I'll tell you to manage my pain and my incision care, my internist , who works at an urgent care facility, helped me. There I get pain rx and weekly wound care. Because my staples were botched, I developed an infection at the insicion which is very painful. I shall not return to the obgyn surgeon for any reason, not even for my six week checkup. My internist will be happy to do that as well. But, we need to be our own advocates. Don't hesitate to go to a different doctor for your needs. We have had a major surgery and the pain can be overwhelming at times. It's getting better, however I've learned to speak up for myself. Staying down and resting does not suit me, it's difficult to be good.
Now, I'm almost three weeks postoperative. My incision still drains, but the antibiotics are helping. Pain pills and motrin are still required to manage pain and swelling. Ice packs and the heating pad help at night.
Since you have little ones, please get some help if you can. Our longterm healing is very important and will determine if we develope scar tissue or adhesions. Try to rest and God Bless.
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Hi do you have an alternative doctor like a family physician you can go to who would be able to give you a decent script with refills for the pain killers you need? If yes I would go to them. If not or you won't get an appointment soon enough then I would go to the surgeon appointment and explain how much pain you are in and ask for a decent amount of the painkillers you need and refills without all this hassle. You have had a very much more complex operation than most hysters, no wonder you are still having pain. And even with help kids are so demanding that it is not possible to be only a pampered princess.

Only you can decide whether to return to this same doctor for your 6 week follow up. They do know what was done but if you totally distrust them now that is hard. Just make sure that you can get to an alternative doctor who can make sure you are ok. Best of luck
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM

I ran out of my oxycodone on day 10. It was a weekend and it was explained to me by on call doc that they will not call in narcotic prescriptions...I spent the weekend in bed and called again monday morning. MY doctor was off, so it was still a no. I called my PCP and they gladly gave me a script without having to be seen. They only gave me 3 days worth, my gyn would be back by then. My doctor at that point agreed to give me more (1 more week). It was very frustrating as I could not sleep without them! I felt like a druggie, begging for meds. I can tell you this...it was worth it. When I was ready to stop taking them, it was MY decision....not a doctors. We know our own pain tolerance and what we can handle, or not handle. (I took them for 3 weeks)
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM

I had the same problem with my doctor. I called on day 10 and asked for my vicodin to be refilled and they did not want to do it. Finally they gave in and gave me a refill for 10 pills and told me I needed to be off them by day 14. I usually have areally high pain tolerence too and in the hospital I was hitting the PCA button like crazy. I don't even remember it but the nurses told me that after I vomited a few times. I have had a lap chole and a lap LSO and I did not need pain meds after the first day with either of those surgeries. I think I had a lot of pain because my suregon told me that she had to scrap the front of my uterus off because of adhesions. My stomach was bruised so bad after surgery. When I got my path report, it said the ectocervix was in the container with my uterus. No wonder why it was so painful.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle8 View Post

Wow, that doesn't sound right. I wonder if the doctor has had some trouble in the past with prescribing percocet?

When I went back at day 10 my doctor did not want to give me another prescription either. I also had a serious surgery that was 4 hours plus and at 10 days I was still in a lot of misery. I said the Advil is not enough to take the pain away so that I can sleep, as I had tried a few times.

My hubby who was with me also chimed in as he has been watching me struggle to even sit up and I've told him how much pain I was in. So she finally gave me another prescription. Without it, I would not have slept and it would have been horrible. I finally stopped my pain pills two days ago as I'm finally feeling better. Let us know what happens.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:31 AM

I needed more pain med and had to go far to pick it up. But luckily they were good about giving me more it wasn't easy getting them to write me another ex and they told me I shouldn't need any more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register