Upcoming hysterectomy 8/4 - liquid diet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/4 - liquid diet? Upcoming hysterectomy 8/4 - liquid diet?

Unread 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/4 - liquid diet?

Liquid diet - for two days - what did you eat, I mean drink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2015, 07:22 PM

Juniper521 -

A liquid diet can mean lots of things, depending on the doctor. It is best to get from your own doctor exactly what he or she wants in the days before your surgery. This includes a bowel prep. Not all doctors want you to do one, and you should only do one if you are asked to do one.

For me, I was on a clear liquid diet after 12 pm the day before my surgery. For me, that meant clear chicken broth, clear juices (e.g., white grape juice), water, black coffee, black tea, and jello. I could also have soda crackers. I also did a bowel prep.

Unread 07-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Marestail, I have to do the prep the day before, light breakfast then start at 1pm, then just liquids, then the next dose. (Then, of course, nothing after midnight) i was just curious about the liquid diet two days -before- the prep. Just seems like one might be pretty depleted going into surgery after that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Re: Hysterectomy tomorrow 7/28 - Bowel Prep Nausea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper521 View Post
Marestail, I have to do the prep the day before, light breakfast then start at 1pm, then just liquids, then the next dose. (Then, of course, nothing after midnight) i was just curious about the liquid diet two days -before- the prep. Just seems like one might be pretty depleted going into surgery after that?
Everyone gets different instructions. I was told clear liquids only after 5 PM, nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I wasn't told to do a bowel prep at all.

I agree, though, that two days of clear liquids sounds as if it would be really depleting. I recently had to prep for a colonoscopy. Clear liquids only the entire day before and up until two hours before the procedure, which was at 1 PM. I arrived at the hospital at noon wearing layers and layers of clothing because I couldn't get warm - and this was in July.
Unread 07-30-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper521 View Post
I also agree that it sounds depleting.

The most important concept is to follow your doctor's instructions to the letter. Everyone is different, and every surgery is different.

Unread 07-30-2015, 07:41 PM

Re: feeling depleted. That didn't happen to me, but I drank more substantial drinks 2 days before, then just the clearer liquids the day before. Ensure vanilla was my favorite, V8, etc. The next day, the clear liquids only.

Mind you, this was not prior to hysterectomy, as I was not required to do a bowel prep for hysterectomy. This was prior to colonoscopy. But I'd still have done it this way if my doctor had wanted a bowel prep.

For colonoscopy, I was to drink 2 bottles of Mag. Citrate, and take Dulcolax laxatives, the day before. The morning of colonoscopy, I was supposed to do a Fleet enema, which I just couldn't stomach. I didn't do the enema, but as it turns out, I was clean as a whistle.

For hysterectomy, even though I wasn't asked to do a bowel prep, I drank the Ensures, V8's, and clear liquids for 2 days just because I thought it would help. I have to say, it did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register