Fixated on Pre-op Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fixated on Pre-op Bowel Prep Fixated on Pre-op Bowel Prep

Unread 11-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Fixated on Pre-op Bowel Prep

This is so stupid. Of all the things I could be worrying about. I'm almost phobic about medical procedures anyway - and I'm just freaking out at the thought of having to take that hideous bowel medicine AND also an enema - which is how the nurse says my doctor does it.

I don't know if I'm just focusing all my fear and rage on this one thing or what. But why both? It just seems stupid. And also, it just seems to emphasize my powerlessness - like I'm just a slab of meat being processed. I'm sitting here sobbing at my computer. I know it's stupid, but I feel like I'm a cow being processed.

And my surgery date is way out there in February and I just don't think I can live with this hanging over my head - but there were so many schedule conflicts - that was the earliest that could be worked out.

I'd just cancel - except I'd already had a cone biopsy four years ago for "carcinoma in situ" - and now my pap test are getting close to that level again.

Well, gotta run. My husband is worried about me sitting her sobbing.

Cathy B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2002, 07:30 PM

Hi
Please don't feel stupid about any of the feelings you have, they are all normal and believe me a lot of us here have the same ones and many more. But that is what we are all here for is a little support and I myself have found this site to be of great help to me. I can not quite tell you too much about the bowel prep yet, I have to do mine on Sunday starting around 3:00. I have to do clear liquids all that day too. I have to take Magnesium Citrate which is suppose to be this lemony fizzy ickie stuff and then well, be on the pot awhile, lol. I do not have to do a fleet enema though, thank goodness! I go in at 6:00 am Monday and scheduled for 7:30 am.
Unread 11-08-2002, 07:34 PM

Cathy,

When did you find out you had to have the hysterectomy? Maybe you're still adjusting to the idea. Of course, I'm sure you've read, the worse part is the pre-op. WAITING! I'm not going to tell you the bowel prep is nothing. I had to do the same as you, both enema and drink that horrid little green bottle! It's no party, but.... have some preparation H on hand and use it before the cleansing ever starts! That's the key. Oh, yes, I had to eat only clear liquids for 2 days before also, did you? Make sure you MAKE some homemade broths, beef and chicken, get some juices, nothing red, sodas, tea,ect.........

Now, let me assure you, Having my hysterectomy was the best thing that ever happened to me. I feel wonderful, better than I have since I started having periods! Everything still works the same, better in fact. I don't know your age, but doctors now days, can make the bikini cut and you'll never know it's there! It didn't matter to me, but you can't even see it.

Just start getting things together. Start warning your DH of what he will have to do, or someone, cause you won't be for about 6 wks. Not because you can't the whole time, you just better not for your bodies own good and no regrets later.

Check out the boards and read up on things. All the info is here. And believe me, this is the best support group you'll ever find! Use it! These are women that understand. They are either going through what you are OR they have already been through it.
Hang in there,
Cindy :HUG:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2002, 07:36 PM

You poor thing! Here's a for you. I know exactly how you feel about the bowel prep. I was so worried about that. My surgery was Tuesday, I did the bowel prep Monday. I had to use magnesium citrate. I drank it at 4:00 and nothing happened until about 9:00 at night. Then I was up until 1:30 going to the potty. I did not feel bad or sick, just had to go. It really wasn't so bad but the next morning I went about 4 more times before we left for the hospital. I don't think there would have been anything left in me for an enema to work with. I don't know why your doc uses both but seriously, don't fret about it. It's not that big of a deal.
Mari
Unread 11-08-2002, 07:38 PM

Do you know for sure you'll have to do bowel prep? I had a TAH and did not have to do any of that. I called my DR office a few days prior just to be sure that they didn't forget to tell me and I was told there was no need to do it.

I was very relieved to not have to.
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Hey, Replying to my Own Post!

You know, I think that is part of what bothers me so much - is that some do it one way and some do it another - but the one person who seems to have no say in it whatsoever is me. Actually I wouldn't mind doing the medicine. I have friends who have done it - and I know it's hideous. But for some reason the enema seems like such a violation of my dignity.

Like it's so much more dignified to sit on a potty and loose ones guts - lol - but at least that's private. Also, I had a friend who had an enema on an already empty bowel - and she had horrible cramping. Why make it worse than it has to be?!

And what it seems to make me come back to is: You aren't a doctor and you don't have any say in this. Once you agree to this little trip you don't have any more choices. You become a thing whose feelings don't matter. Now, I don't want to "help" them with the surgery. And I'm sure they know a great deal more than I do about all this. But I just wish that they could throw me some small bone... But the nurse was very firm that this is the way it would be.

Oh, I'm crying again. But not sobbing. By golly, this is progress. I think my husband has this vision of me being this hysterical for the next three months. But most of the time I'm just fine - and I have this feeling that the more I work through some of this now the better I'll deal with it?

Well, thank you so much for sharing with me and not telling me I'm an idiot. This really is a wonderful place. Maybe from now on we can refer to me as the "Bowel Lady". Now there's dignity for you... You know, I've never talked openly with total strangers about something so personal!

And you know what else - I've never had an enema in my life! And, no, I'm not going to get one and practice...

And I just found out about this two days ago - so I'm sure I'm still adjusting. I called a friend and she said, "You know, I was worried about how calm you were. You seemed like you were talking about getting your nails done."

And, you know, another problem is - I think my husband feels like I was allowed to emote the day I found out - and I think he will be very sympathetic right before the operation and after. But I think this three days later hysteria (if you'll pardon the pun) just puzzles him. He actually finally said to me, "You know, I just think you need to get your s_ _ t together."

And instead of crying I began laughing hysterically because getting the ca-ca together is kind of the problem, when you think about it. And also, I stopped cackling every now and then to gasp, between gales of laughter, "That is so helpful sweetie. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself" and then I'd collapse into hysterical (literally!) laughter again. And he backed away from me like I'd just grown another head.

But oddly, now that I've sobbed and laughed so much - I feel kind of better. I just kind of needed to do that, I guess.

Cathy B.
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:37 PM
I'm the same way!!

LOL, Cathy, I'm giggling because I've been doing much of the same thing. Cavalier about it one minute, and having people look at me funny because I'm so calm, and distraught the next moment, which causes people to run away.

I like your sense of humor, though! I've found that a good sense of humor is critical.

And I definitely know what you mean about these bowel prep things being awful. LOL, this evening when we were at the grocery store, I picked up a bottle of Milk of Magnesia (chocolate creme flavor!) to practice getting the bowels in gear!

My doctor hasn't told me yet if I'm going to have to do the bowel preps and I'm really hoping he won't require it. I am the proud mommy of a 60-pound English bulldog who is never more than 3 feet away from me. Can you imagine having to do a Fleet enema with posteria heavenward while trying to keep a slobbering bulldog away?! UGH!

All we can do is hang in there and focus on the chuckles when we can find them! It's great that we all have each other here to help us through it!

Julie-Anne
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:10 PM

Hi Cathy B.,

You are not an idiot. Well, if you are, so am I! I'm the same way. Around the people I work with and some of my friends I act like it's not that big of a deal, like having a tooth pulled. At home, though, the emotions are up and down. I think my husband thinks I'm crazy too. I'm sure he's tired of hearing me cry and tell him how scared I am. Until now, I hadn't thought about the bowel prep! LOL - something new for me to obsess about.
Unread 11-08-2002, 10:24 PM
You are not alone

My dr. ordered bowel prep for me in the form of 2 dulcolax at 4pm the night before surgery and a Fleet's enema the morning of.

Can you give yourself an enema? I don't know, but I really don't want the DH back there for that! How embarrasing! We don't even pee in front of each other! Sorry, I'm sure that's too much information!

Anyway, I don't like the idea of it all either, and I admit I am envious of those who don't have to do it.

Chin up, we can handle it. We are women, we are strong, we are invincible! Aren't we?
Unread 11-08-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm with you!

I could never really understand the enema, potions, pills and whatever else to clean you out either! Man, all you have to do is tell me I'm having surgery the next morning or something just as scary and my bowels start working on their own!!! In 20 minutes no less!! It's like an explosion. Now watch, it won't be like that this time.

I've had to give myself an enema before for a complete colonoscopy (I think I spelled that wrong) anyway, I was supposed to give myself 3 of these an hour apart and be all done an hour before the test. Well, I overslept!!! I was freaked they would't do the test so I jumped up and performed one right away and did the other two 45 minutes apart instead of an hour and was done 1/2 an hour ahead of time and it didn't seem to be a big deal. I had to drive 45 min. to my appointment and took a bucket with me in case I needed to use it on the way! Could you see that on the edge of the freeway!!! It wasn't bad at all and I've had to go through a lot worse! My husband felt like you and he wasn't going to do it but he did O.K.

P.S. I think all surgerys should be done within 2 weeks of telling you. This waiting BS is for the birds!! My doc said she could do it Nov. 15th or next year. I said do everthing you can to do it on the 15th so here goes!!!

TAH/BSO Nov. 15th. We'll try to let you know how it goes!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register