Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?
Yes, I kept my ovaries. 2,500 47.55%
Yes, I kept ONE ovary. 592 11.26%
Yes, I kept one/both ovaries but they were removed during a later surgery. 78 1.48%
No, both ovaries were removed during my hysterectomy. 2,088 39.71%
Voters: 5258. You may not vote on this poll

Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Unread 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

I was able to keep both ovaries. My problems were all in the uterus with fibroids. The problems were affecting my periods with severe pain and bowel problems. I had my surgery on October 28th and am feeling 95 percent recovered. I am not having pain and I am feeling great. It is incredible to not have periods and the pain that accompanied them! I waited for three years after I was told by several doctors that I needed a hysterectomy and now I wish I hadn't waited. Luckily I could keep my ovaries and do not need HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM

I had one ovary and tube removed in 1983 & the other tube in 1984 due to cysts and ectopics. My hysterectomy was to remove anything that was left, including the remaining ovary, because of pre cancerous cells in the uterus. I was almost 50 and very glad to be rid of all of it. It's been a year & a half and I'm off of premarin and feel better now than when I took it!
Unread 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM

I had one week to decide whether to keep both ovaries or remove them. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and I have had one aunt die of breast cancer, one of cervical cancer. My mom and gyn agreed that it made sense to have my ovaries removed at the same time as my TAH. Since I was already experiencing hot flushes and my periods were tapering off, menopause was just around the corner anyway, so I took the plunge. So far, I have had mild hot flushes (no full-on sweats) and no mood swings since my 10/13/08 surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2009, 06:51 AM

My doctor's goal was for me to keep at least one ovary and fortunately I was able to keep both. His opinon is that some natural hormones are better than HRT. Not having any family history of ovarian cancer made it an easier decision.
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM

I had my hysterectomy after treatment for breast cancer. It was kind of a preventive surgery since I have no history of any cancer, but was at increased risk for ovarian cancer as a survivor. I guess I could have kept my uterus and just had the ovaries taken out, but that did not make much sense to me. I have had flashes, but they are worth knowing that I do not have to go through any treatment again!!
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM

I didn't keep my ovaries. I discussed it with my doctor, thinking the less removed the better but he didn't agree and explained why.

I had already gone through menopause and suffered the hot flashes, mood swings,etc. I have never had HRT either before or after my hyst.

My GYN/ONC said it would be better to just have the uterus (where the cancer was), cervix and ovaries removed as a safety measure. Besides the ovaries were of not use to me anymore. Also he told me that I wouldn't have to worry about ovarian cancer in the future and that is what convinced me.

Bonnie
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM

My mother and sister are both breast cancer survivors, mom before age 70; sister at 38. When my doctor and I were discussing my hysterectomy, we discussed genetics, cancer, liklihoods, etc. The decision to remove both of my ovaries was based on my not wanting to face another surgery (in the future). I'm very glad that I had my surgery. No regrets at all.
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Kept both ovaries AND my cervix and fallopian tubes :-)
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Well I kept my ovaries at the time. Only had uterus removed. Now the doc sees things growing on my cervix. I said if you go in again I want you to take ovaries and all. I am tired of pain, swelling and bleeding. So he put me on progesterone for 2 weeks and said talk to me after and we will see how you feel then. I just want it all to be over and completely healed and thru menopause. The most dreaded part. I don't know, sometimes I wonder if I am going thru it naturally, My whole family went thru it early. I am only 38 but am so tired of it all.
Unread 01-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Cool - Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? My ovaries were removed

My gyne said that since I had endo the best bet was to take the ovaries out and manage with a very low dose hormone. After being treated with Lupron for six months I have to say I am glad for this decision- I have been held hostage by hormonal insanity since I started having periods. While on Lupron I was nice and even- this is something I am looking forward to continuing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register