Upcoming hysterectomy: need advice on saving ovary and emotional issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: need advice on saving ovary and emotional issues Upcoming hysterectomy: need advice on saving ovary and emotional issues

Unread 06-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: need advice on saving ovary and emotional issues

Hi. I'm back with more of the same questions. I have a history of ovarian cysts that either painfully leak or rupture. I feel pain around my left ovary/side/abdomen/flank that's equal to or often times worse than cycle pain (and I have adeno, so that's pretty substantial pain). I feel it when I'm ovulating, on my cycle, plus other times; it even hurt like crazy while on BC pills and pregnant when I clearly wasn't ovulating. I am having a crazy flare right now on days 15-17 of my cycle (seems reasonable I'm ovulating) and had my gyn do a transvag u/s yesterday expecting a big evil cyst but they are perfect. I don't WANT something to be wrong on that left side but I swear I just know there's something there, there has to be. I'm not imagining the pain. Nothing showed on my lap surgery 6 mo ago either.

My question is: what advice or opinions do people have on taking that ovary out if it is healthy by all accounts but prone to functional cysts. It means everything would be removed except the right one (uterus, cervix and tubes). I just turned 35 and meno not for 12+ yrs. My aunt had one ovary removed with her hyster and went into menopause for quite a long and uncomfortable time. My Dr says the one ovary will take over but I may start having problems with it as it does double duty.

I also wanted to ask if anyone went through a very real and intense desire to have a baby as they faced a hysterectomy. I'm working with a pyschiatrist to explore if its just fear talking, but if it's. Something normal that would be comforting to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Re: need advice on saving ovary and emotional issues

jillyb925 -

I had a TAH BSO - no choice on my ovaries at all. I would have kept them if I could have. Hand down. Here is an article on 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Your Ovaries.

I think your emotions and desires regarding having a baby is very normal. Having a hysterectomy is so final. It is hard to say goodbye to your uterus, something that has made its presence known to you, for better or worse, for decades. And now it is being taken from you by force. That is hard to digest. I did not want children, but when I faced surgery at age 46, and even after surgery, I noticed pregnant women and babies much more than I did before. And I grieved the loss of my uterus for some time.

Just know that you are not alone in this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register